Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Ottawa Senators Trade Erik Karlsson to the San Jose Sharks

After months of rumours and speculation, the Ottawa Senators have finally dealt Erik Karlsson.

Three days after owner Eugene Melnyk discussed a rebuild and roster overhaul in a social media video to the fans, the team has traded its captain and two-time Norris Trophy-winning defenceman to the San Jose Sharks.

The Senators will receive Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, 2020 first-round pick, a 2019 second-round pick and two conditional picks in return. The Senators also sent Francis Perron to the Sharks in the deal.

"This deal leverages earlier decisions in the rebuild to deliver the largest pipeline of potential Ottawa has had in its system in the past 15 years," the Senators wrote in their news release.

"Erik is an exceptional hockey player whose skills delighted our fans for the past nine years," Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said. "We thank him for his dedication to hockey, and we wish him all the best.

"This is the right moment for us to rebuild our team, and shape our future with a faster, younger and more competitive team on the ice," Dorion added. "We are going to build a culture of consistency which will allow this team to sustain better performance over the long term."

Drafted 15th overall by Ottawa in 2008, Karlsson played 627 career NHL games in nine seasons with the Senators, scoring 126 goals and tallying 518 points.

The 28-year-old had nine goals and 53 assists over 71 games in his final season in the nation's capital and was tied for the team lead in points with Mark Stone. He missed the early part of last season after having part of his ankle bone surgically removed, but said in July that his ankle is "110 per cent."

Karlsson led the Senators to within one win of a Stanley Cup Final berth in 2016-17, but the club fell off dramatically with a 28-43-11 record last season.

He has one year left on a seven-year, $45.5 million contract with a $6.5 million cap hit. He reportedly declined an eight-year contract extension from the Senators on July 1 and was the subject of trade rumours dating back to last February’s trade deadline.

Karlsson was named captain of the team prior to the 2014-15 campaign and led the team in points the over the last four seasons.

Ottawa's Return

Tierney ranked fifth on the Sharks in points last season, posting 17 goals and 23 assists over 82 games. The 24-year-old centre was drafted in the second round of the 2012 NHL Draft and made his debut with the Sharks in 2014-15. He has 41 goals and 104 points in 284 career games.

"Chris has everything we want in a Senator. He's talented, hard-working, and a strong leader. He is coming into his own as an NHL player and his best years are in front of him," said Dorion.

DeMelo, a 25-year-old defenceman, had 20 assists and a minus-1 rating in 63 games with the Sharks last season. He averaged 14:12 of ice time per game.

"Dylan is a strong, determined player. He is a competitor and made significant strides last season. He will fit in well with our style of play," Dorion said.

Norris was the Sharks first-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft. The centre had eight goals and 23 points in 67 games with the NCAA's Michigan Wolverines last season.

"Josh is strong two-way centre who is a great skater and has a unique ability to produce offence. He brings a complete game to the table," said Pierre Dorion.

Balcers was a fifth-round pick of the Sharks in 2015 draft and lead the AHL's San Jose Barracuda in goals and assists last season, posting 23 goals and 48 points in 67 games last season.

"Rudolfs has excellent puck stills and possesses an outstanding shot, with a great release. He is a dynamic player that wants to have the puck and has exceptional quickness," said Dorion.

Breaking Down the Picks

The Senators announced the following information on the draft picks involved in the trade in their release:

Ottawa receives San Jose's first-round choice in either 2019 or 2020 (not lottery protected); if the Sharks miss the playoff in 2018-19 it will be a 2019 selection, otherwise it will be in 2020.

Ottawa receives a second-round choice in the 2019 draft from San Jose (which will be the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own, the Florida Panthers and their own);

The deal also includes two conditional picks:

Should the Sharks sign Karlsson to a contract extension, Ottawa receives San Jose's second-round selection in 2021, which would upgrade to a first-round selection (not lottery protected) if San Jose reaches the Stanley Cup Final in 2019.

If Karlsson is on an Eastern Conference roster (reserve list) during the 2018-19 season, the Senators will receive an additional first round pick from the Sharks no later than 2022.

The Saga Ends

As TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie noted Thursday morning, a trade involving Karlsson had appeared close before and yet remained in the Nation's Capital until this move was finalized.

Karlsson and were involved in a deal with the Vegas Golden Knights that fell through at the trade deadline, while the Tampa Bay Lightning were believed to be working on a Karlsson trade in July that also fell through. The Dallas Stars were also considered the "favourite" to acquire the defenceman at one point this summer.

The two teams came together for a deal earlier this summer, when the Senators traded Mike Hoffman to the Sharks in June and watched as San Jose then flipped him to the rival Florida Panthers.
    Via: https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-ka...arks-1.1172297

What do you guys think of this trade?

I feel that Ottawa could've gotten a bit more for him, but I guess most teams wanted some sort of security before trading for him (E.g. Vegas for Pacioretty), and without it, weren't going to sell the barn for him. at least the Sens were able to acquire some future draft capital, and quite likely another first if he either resigns or leaves.

As for the Sharks, I think that mean serious business for the next year or so. I would think they would have to become one of the main cup contenders now with Karlsson/Burns backing their blue Line, as well as the solid roster they have overall. My question is, is it possible for them to fit him into their Cap situation. They have a fair bit of guys locked up to long, big contracts. I guess they expect Thorton to retire after this season, and they'll risk losing Pavelski....

Kane, Couture, Burns, Vlasic, and Hertl make up roughly 36 million of their cap space. Karlsson would likely command more than any of those guys (Couture/Burns make 8 million each); probably closer to about 10 million per season at the very least, which is a raise of around 3 mill of what he's making now. Should be interesting to see what moves they make to fill up their team... or maybe Karlsson would just opt to test the market. It has been a while like a player like Karlsson has hit the open market (I think he's better than Tavares healthy), so you know teams with cap space would be lining up for his services. Also, after hearing Duchene speak about how free agency is the first time that they would have full control on their movement (Due to the RFA rule) and how it intrigues him, I'm curious if that'll lead to more star players hitting the open market in the future... but I digress from the random tangent
    Last edited by Cal827; 09-13-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

I FOUND THE LEGENDARY THREAD

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...es-to-Redskins

Man Doug Wilson robbed the Sens. Didn't get Hertl or Meier? No top end prospects? Just quantity. The Sens are going to have to pay people to come to the rink this year.

Sharks probably have the best D in the league now. Karlsson and Burns on the PP? Vlasic and Braun? Damn.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Sakic got more for Duchene then Ottawa got for EK. How sad. Jack Hughes to Colorado?

And Ottawa was on the wrong side of both. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Man Doug Wilson robbed the Sens. Didn't get Hertl or Meier? No top end prospects? Just quantity. The Sens are going to have to pay people to come to the rink this year.

Sharks probably have the best D in the league now. Karlsson and Burns on the PP? Vlasic and Braun? Damn.
    With one year left on their deal- and therefore only one playoff run- before Karlsson is an unrestricted free agent, this is probably the best deal. We've seen how things are evolving in MLB, and I think the NHL as well- rentals are losing value. Teams are looking at giving up value, but they want to have a longer-term investment in it. Moving Karlsson at the deadline last year would've given the team trading for him two playoff runs, which is huge. I bet the Sharks in that scenario are giving up one or Hertl or Meier, and maybe a top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    With one year left on their deal- and therefore only one playoff run- before Karlsson is an unrestricted free agent, this is probably the best deal. We've seen how things are evolving in MLB, and I think the NHL as well- rentals are losing value. Teams are looking at giving up value, but they want to have a longer-term investment in it. Moving Karlsson at the deadline last year would've given the team trading for him two playoff runs, which is huge. I bet the Sharks in that scenario are giving up one or Hertl or Meier, and maybe a top prospect.
    I hear what you're saying but it doesn't matter, the fan base hates you, you're trading yet another face of the franchise player away, you have to get some quality assets back. Especially considering you don't have your 1st rounder this year which is hilarious.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I hear what you're saying but it doesn't matter, the fan base hates you, you're trading yet another face of the franchise player away, you have to get some quality assets back. Especially considering you don't have your 1st rounder this year which is hilarious.
    At least they didn't tie Ryan's contract to the trading of Karlsson. that would've been the only way to do this trade worse.