Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,281

    (98-46) Boston Redsox VS. Toronto Blue Jays (65-78)

    Game 1: Tue, Sep 11 • 7:10 PM EDT

    Chris Sale LHP (12-4) - 1.97 ERA

    The ace will return from the DL to serve as the “opener” against Toronto. Sale has pitched just once since July due to mild inflammation in his left shoulder. He will throw two innings and approximately 40 pitches, then hand off to Nathan Eovaldi.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryan Borucki LHP, (3-4) - 4.39 ERA

    Borucki has earned a quality start in eight of his 13 outings this season. In his last start vs. the Rays, Borucki allowed just two runs on three hits and two walks while striking out five, but he took the loss because of no run support.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wed, Sep 12 • 7:10 PM EDT

    David Price LHP (14-6) - 3.57 ERA

    Price was tremendous last time out, holding the Astros to two runs while striking out 10 over 6 1/3 innings. Both runs scored after Price departed, and he got a no-decision. He is 20-3 with a 2.52 ERA against the Blue Jays in his career.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aaron Sanchez RHP, (4-5) - 5.17 ERA

    Sanchez has made three starts since returning from the disabled list, and his last start against the Rays was his best one yet. Sanchez allowed three runs on six hits and two walks while matching a season high with eight strikeouts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thu, Sep 13 • 7:10 PM EDT

    Eduardo Rodriguez LHP, (12-4) - 3.64 ERA

    The lefty struggled in his second start back from the DL, giving up six hits and five runs while lasting just 3 1/3 innings in a loss to the Astros. Rodriguez has fared well vs. the Jays this season, going 2-0 with a 2.41 ERA in three starts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sam Gaviglio RHP , (3-8) -5.25 ERA

    Gaviglio continues to hold onto his spot in the rotation, but he has managed to complete six innings just once July 20. Gaviglio has allowed at least four runs in three of his past four starts and has one win since the end of May.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,784
    I'm sure that I'm alone in being somewhat concerned about JDM. It's obviously tough to complain about a guy who has 40HR and sits close to the Triple Crown. Watching his GIDP against the Astros Saturday made me think that he's not been quite the same lately. The stats say the same. Of 40HR, he's had only 3 since Aug 12. His season-long .636 SLG is trending down thanks to a .464 in the late month (.409 in the last two weeks). I hope the HR is a sign of him getting on track again. At worst, I hope that he just needs some down time. On thing is for sure: if the BP is going to continue to struggle JDM is one guy that can't fade down the stretch.

  3. #3
    Betts went through his slump. Looks like JD is going through his. Eovaldi seems to be pitching himself out of the postseason roster. I don't know if we need him I'm the bullpen and we don't need him as a starter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,281
    100 Wins! Congrats Guys!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MASS
    Posts
    53,839
    what an awesome and fun team to watch! what a season! 100 wins freaking fantastic!

    i hate to turn into BSF for a second, but i cant lie. I am SCARED come playoff time. I dont know if we have enough pitching to win it all. We certainly can win it all, but im just worried about the staff compared to the other 2 division leaders

    Cle: Bauer Kluber Carrasco
    HOU: Verlander, Cole, Dallas (not even going to try to say his last name)
    Bos: Sale, Price, Porcello

    Hoping this rest for Sale gives him the best postseason he has ever had, hoping Prices awesome season continues in the playoffs as he is a historically bad performer come playoff time

    either way, I am going to enjoy the ride!


    First Sim League Title!

  6. #6
    Another solid start spoiled by this horrible bullpen

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    Another solid start spoiled by this horrible bullpen
    I'd like to see the Sox slowly start building towards managing games post-season style. They've had a sizable enough lead to rest guys early but now it's time to start finding the combinations that are going to work at the end of the game.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I'd like to see the Sox slowly start building towards managing games post-season style. They've had a sizable enough lead to rest guys early but now it's time to start finding the combinations that are going to work at the end of the game.
    I agree. We got the postseason locked down might as well experiment. Just keep pomeranz and Kelly out of the bullpen

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,784
    I don't understand why Kelly gets work after the 6th inning. After his "rebound" in August, he's been terrible. Again. His last four appearances were a loss (ruining Price's great start vs HOU), a one-out "hold", and two blown saves. In September: 8.44ERA, .318/.407/.455 against, .375BABIP. To put that in perspective, every batter that he faces is Jose Altuve.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I don't understand why Kelly gets work after the 6th inning. After his "rebound" in August, he's been terrible. Again. His last four appearances were a loss (ruining Price's great start vs HOU), a one-out "hold", and two blown saves. In September: 8.44ERA, .318/.407/.455 against, .375BABIP. To put that in perspective, every batter that he faces is Jose Altuve.
    One of the announcers during a game was saying Kelly may throw 100+ mph but hitters nowadays have no problem catching up to it. His problem is he has no movement on his fastball. If he can get it to tail back inside on the hitter he'd be almost unhittable. He would be better off throwing it 92 with movement instead of 100 and straight as an arrow.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    One of the announcers during a game was saying Kelly may throw 100+ mph but hitters nowadays have no problem catching up to it. His problem is he has no movement on his fastball. If he can get it to tail back inside on the hitter he'd be almost unhittable. He would be better off throwing it 92 with movement instead of 100 and straight as an arrow.
    +1. The whole bullet-throwing BP movement has made the 95+ MPH heater somewhat common place. If you're a one-trick pony then hitters just need to pick up on the plane of the ball; they'll get their whacks. You can even see it in Kimbrel. A lot of his struggles this season have come when he's struggled with his feel for the curveball and hitters sit on the fastball. Kelly without a good secondary pitch and a flat fastball is not worthy of a post-season spot.

    Kimbrel
    Barnes
    Brasier
    Wright
    Eovaldi
    Workman
    Johnson/Poyner

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    +1. The whole bullet-throwing BP movement has made the 95+ MPH heater somewhat common place. If you're a one-trick pony then hitters just need to pick up on the plane of the ball; they'll get their whacks. You can even see it in Kimbrel. A lot of his struggles this season have come when he's struggled with his feel for the curveball and hitters sit on the fastball. Kelly without a good secondary pitch and a flat fastball is not worthy of a post-season spot.

    Kimbrel
    Barnes
    Brasier
    Wright
    Eovaldi
    Workman
    Johnson/Poyner
    I like that bullpen lineup. I would probably go with Johnson over poyner though. Glad to see hembree's name not on there as well. He falls into the same category as Kelly, straight fastball but no solid secondary pitch.

    As for Kimbrel, he's got a nasty curveball but hasn't been able to throw it for strikes lately like you said. Unlike Kelly, he's usually able to locate his fastball on the corners. His last 3 outings have been encouraging though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,784
    I'll harp on the same thing with Kimbrel. His last five appearances have come with 1, 3, 2, 0, and 1 days rest. This is where his track record is historically solid. I think that he needs the regular use to keep his feel for his pitches. At any rate, his line over those 5 outings: 5IP, 2BB, 8K, 0H. Perhaps not coincidentally, Cora has been talking up the likelihood of Kimbrel getting cameos in the 8th... to prepare for more regular appearances in the playoffs.

    Johnson vs Poyner vs whomever is kind of a coin flip for me. Johnson's numbers vs LHB are better than vs RHB but not really LOOGY category. He'd get the edge if you want someone in the bullpen who can absorb innings in a lopsided game and protect the rest of the pen. Poyner actually has great numbers vs LHB (.111/.158/.222) but it's a very small sample size. He's pounded the zone (17.1IP/17K/2BB) which is nice if you come in with runners on base.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •