Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    But it's a good illustration of how stupid the ownership actually is. Penny wise, pound foolish. Tighten the belt all winter when Sandy's trying to bolster the bullpen, but splurge millions on David Wright playing a vanity game? I mean, what is this exercise going to cost us? Is the offseason budget smaller because of it? Does it impact any other baseball decision going forward?

These are hugely important questions, none of which are even asked, let alone answered. Because if it is impacting how much the new GM can spend this winter, I don't want it. I don't need to see David play for three innings of a glorified exhibition game.
    Itís a glorified exhibition game, absolutely, but what was the alternative? Keep David Wright in limbo for the next two years?

It was clear he wasnít going to be able to play again. The Mets didnít want to keep up the charade. Iím sure Wright wanted to move on. It wasnít the ending anyone hoped for but really, what choice was there?

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Itís a glorified exhibition game, absolutely, but what was the alternative? Keep David Wright in limbo for the next two years?

It was clear he wasnít going to be able to play again. The Mets didnít want to keep up the charade. Iím sure Wright wanted to move on. It wasnít the ending anyone hoped for but really, what choice was there?
    I mean, David admitted that those rehab games woke him up to the fact that he can't do it anymore. He could have retired with some kind of settlement. Now playing this game will cost the Mets money. I'm just saying, for a team that is apparently cash-strapped, was this the smartest move?

I mean, David admitted that those rehab games woke him up to the fact that he can't do it anymore. He could have retired with some kind of settlement. Now playing this game will cost the Mets money. I'm just saying, for a team that is apparently cash-strapped, was this the smartest move?
    Sure, he could have. But the thing is, David asked to play this one last game. What were they supposed to say, "No. It will cost us too much money"?

They were between a rock and a hard place but i think they did the right thing. And i also don't blame Wright for wanting his farewell game. If that's what he wanted, he was entitled.

But it does call into question how badly the team is cash strapped, though.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

There is a game for many reasons including:
    • Public relations: it's what fans want
    • Marketing: newsworthy event. coverage will be through the roof.
    • Branding: face of the franchise
    • Respect: DW deserves it
    • Business: 42,000 fans in attendance

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Sure, he could have. But the thing is, David asked to play this one last game. What were they supposed to say, "No. It will cost us too much money"?

They were between a rock and a hard place but i think they did the right thing. And i also don't blame Wright for wanting his farewell game. If that's what he wanted, he was entitled.

But it does call into question how badly the team is cash strapped, though.
    I don't blame him or the Mets for doing it. I'm just saying, if this actually impacts baseball decisions going forward, then it was stupid.

I don't blame him or the Mets for doing it. I'm just saying, if this actually impacts baseball decisions going forward, then it was stupid.
    Yeah. Gotta hope that doesnít happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    There is a game for many reasons including:
    • Public relations: it's what fans want
    • Marketing: newsworthy event. coverage will be through the roof.
    • Branding: face of the franchise
    • Respect: DW deserves it
    • Business: 42,000 fans in attendance
    I will definitely be tuning in and would love to see Wright get a hit. He deserves to come back and play his heart out, one final time. Iíll be sad to see him go.

Andy Martino, SNY.tv | Twitter |

With David Wright's return as an active player upon us, the Mets' plan for his use this weekend is coming into focus.

As Mickey Callaway said on Thursday, there is a decent chance Wright will pinch-hit on Friday, which would be his first major league game action since May 27, 2016.

Here's our understanding of the rest of the plan:

Pinch hit or not, Wright is not expected to play defense on Friday. Then on Saturday, he will of course start at third base in front of what the team expects will be a sellout crowd. The pregame introductions and first inning will surely be dramatic and emotional for Wright and Mets fans.

Wright will probably bat twice, although that is subject to change based on the flow of the game. He's expected to play four or five innings in the field.

After the game, there will be a tribute video about Wright's career, and Wright will likely return to the field for one more appearance in front of fans. It sounds like details of that postgame appearance are still being worked out.

Hey, they asked an insurance question at today's Wilpon presser (about both Wright and Ces). Got the response I expected though

@timbhealey
    Jeff Wilpon refused to say if the Mets have an insurance settlement for the money owed to David Wright, or if the team expects insurance money for Yoenis Cespedes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspy44 View Post
    Hey, they asked an insurance question at today's Wilpon presser (about both Wright and Ces). Got the response I expected though
    Yeah, there's no transparency there but that's on purpose. The Wilpons want those contracts to be an excuse if they don't add payroll in the offseason.

Then when the information is leaked that part or most of their salaries are covered, they look like the same old cheap owners. When it does, whatever backlash they get is on them.

The David Wright Situation-He's calling it a career

Wright will go back on the 60-day DL with insurance picking up the allocated percentage.

Or, a settlement will be negotiated that allows DW to retire whereby the Mets do not need to keep DW on the 40-man roster each winter (this is huge). DW may in turn accept a position as a paid staff member.

I doubt any if the above has been sufficiently to make any type of public statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This story should have been written two months ago

So apparenrly the Mets have a Nov. 20 deadline date to work out a deal with the insurer or keep Wright on the 40 man roster so they can collect 75 percent of his remaining salary.

Drama in Flushing!

https://nypost.com/2018/11/12/why-me...ettlement/amp/
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112