Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Jon Heyman@JonHeyman

Best wishes to David Wright, a great player and better person. Career ops plus is 133, good for a tie for 133rd (coincidentally) alltime with hall of famers Al Simmons, Orlando Cepeda, Billy Williams and a few others

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    He should've retired two years ago.
    Maybe the single most ignorant comment I've seen here in the 10 or so years I've been on PSD.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Even though this was a long time coming it’s a sad day for Mets fans. Not to compare them as players but he was our Jeter. The consummate professional, the captain who always said and did the right thing and was the hardest working guy in the clubhouse.

His HOF odds were taken from him now all you can hope is that his condition isn’t debilitating to his everyday life as he ages. Would be nice to see him work for the organization but not sure if that interests him.Mets should retire #5 next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be missed Captain.

I used to have a half-season plan at Shea and I saw many a David Wright homeruns in the old park - and some in Citi Field before moving out of NY in 2010.

I have to find a way to come up to NY for these games.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    So they won’t use the word “retiring.” Rather he’s “medically unable to play.” So I guess what’s happening is that they’re activating him for the three-game series and then he goes back on the DL for the duration of his contract with the Mets on the hook for his full salary for another 60-day deductible. Then insurance covers 75 percent of the remaining $27 million.

I guess that’s what’s happening. No one clarified and no one asked. But if that’s how it’s going down I applaud everyone involved. It was the right thing to do.
    I don't see how they can activate him and then claim he's "medically unable to play". I wouldn't be surprised if Fred wheedled Wright into giving up the 2 final years of the contract. This upsets me, because David worked so hard to get back into playing shape, I would have wanted to see how he did next spring training. What was the point of all that work?

You know if Fred was in Wright's position, he'd figure out a way to collect every penny of the contract, and more.

I also predict Wright will make pinch hitting appearances, at least, throughout the final homestand. I also suspect his last game will actually be the 30th. Fred will surely want to milk every cent possible out of this.

If all this is how it goes down, it'll be disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I don't see how they can activate him and then claim he's "medically unable to play". I wouldn't be surprised if Fred wheedled Wright into giving up the 2 final years of the contract. This upsets me, because David worked so hard to get back into playing shape, I would have wanted to see how he did next spring training. What was the point of all that work?

You know if Fred was in Wright's position, he'd figure out a way to collect every penny of the contract, and more.

I also predict Wright will make pinch hitting appearances, at least, throughout the final homestand. I also suspect his last game will actually be the 30th. Fred will surely want to milk every cent possible out of this.

If all this is how it goes down, it'll be disgraceful.
    No. If that were the case David would have just announced he was retiring after the Sept 29 game. Instead, when point blanked abouot whether he was retiring, he immediately turned to Jeff W who answered for him. No, Jeff told us, he's not retiring. He's just medically unable to play.

I'm guessing they can make the case that he's coming back for ceremonial purposes only. They were very clear to couch it on those terms at the press conference. And Jeff was very careful with his words, reading from a prepared script, perhaps so as not to say anything that the insurers could use against him.

No, Wright himself said he's unable to play and even joked that in the one game he does play he hopes Jake won't be pitching. He wouldn't even commit to how many innings he'll play.

I think the deductible will have to be satisfied for another 60 days before they'll be able to collect insurance again. But after that, they should be fine. The only part i don't get is how is he not on the 40 man roster until April if he comes back on September 29?

That's a question for larger minds than mine.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Maybe the single most ignorant comment I've seen here in the 10 or so years I've been on PSD.
    Have you been reading my posts over the past 10 years?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    I was able to watch part of his announcement, almost cried.

I knew as stated in a previous post this would happen and am elated for David that his kids will see him in a Mets uniform as he had wished.

The Wilpons showed class here too.

Expecting David to be greeted by a sellout crowd. It's going to be Ruthian moment.

One of the greatest and one of the most respected Mets players to have ever donned the orange and blue. Real first class, ethical man.

I wish him only the best in health.

I'm certain at some point, hopefully sooner than later, the #5 will be retired.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I'm With You Mr. Met - Terrible Ownership

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Have you been reading my posts over the past 10 years?
    you're not in his league.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Even though this was a long time coming it’s a sad day for Mets fans. Not to compare them as players but he was our Jeter. The consummate professional, the captain who always said and did the right thing and was the hardest working guy in the clubhouse.

His HOF odds were taken from him now all you can hope is that his condition isn’t debilitating to his everyday life as he ages. Would be nice to see him work for the organization but not sure if that interests him.Mets should retire #5 next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I'm With You Mr. Met - Terrible Ownership

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I actually shed a tear.

I’m gonna miss this guy, he’s the greatest Met of all time and was nothing but a phenomenal player and person.

He was on his way to a hall of fame career and might have one of the best 10 year stretches out of any players.

Retire #5. You’re the man, David.
    The best position player in Met history. Hard to argue if he was better than Seaver and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by eeek78 View Post
    The best position player in Met history. Hard to argue if he was better than Seaver and vice versa.
    Not much of an argument. Seaver was a first ballot HOFer. Wright’s career fell short of expectations. You can argue he was their greatest position player but you might get an argument in return.

So at that point, standard operating procedure calls for the Mets and their insurers to negotiate a settlement in which the Mets would get an up-front payment in return for paying more of Wright’s salary out of their own pocket. Had Wright not been activated and simply rode the 60-day disabled list through 2020, the insurance would’ve covered $20.25 million of the $27 million. Now, based on industry precedent, the Mets figure to get about $15 million.

The Mets likely would’ve gone this route even without Wright’s activation because it would’ve defied logic to keep Wright on their 40-man roster for a third straight offseason when he had no chance to play anymore. He’ll be released by November to free up that roster spot.

-Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    So at that point, standard operating procedure calls for the Mets and their insurers to negotiate a settlement in which the Mets would get an up-front payment in return for paying more of Wright’s salary out of their own pocket. Had Wright not been activated and simply rode the 60-day disabled list through 2020, the insurance would’ve covered $20.25 million of the $27 million. Now, based on industry precedent, the Mets figure to get about $15 million.

The Mets likely would’ve gone this route even without Wright’s activation because it would’ve defied logic to keep Wright on their 40-man roster for a third straight offseason when he had no chance to play anymore. He’ll be released by November to free up that roster spot.

-Davidoff
    Solid reporting by Davidoff. People were reluctant to talk specifics yesterday because a semantic slip could cost one or more parties a lot of money. I'm sure there was an ongoing negotiation between the club, Wright and insurance people. It had the potential to end, as many Mets stories do, a mess. Shockingly, I think they got this right. Wright had to try, they had to let him and it played itself out. I believe Wright was determined to and truly believed he would play again up until the reality sunk in the past weeks. Just saw an article bemoaning the fact that activating him will cost the team more than $600k. It's an ignorant take from a PR, media and straight up human perspective. They're sending off the best position player and best ambassador of the team and MLB in Mets history. Yesterday's announcement received national coverage, far beyond the handful of us diehards still watching SNY. There will be video tributes, documentaries, random appearances, countless more interviews. There will be THE FINAL GAME. He will likely remain involved with the team in some capacity in the future. Seaver and Piazza are a minimal presence now. Straw and Gooden have a flawed relationship with the team. Wright has no baggage and only good vibes. After they iron out legalities with insurance and MLB his number will be retired in a sold-out game next year. The reality is they stood to lose much more money by not doing right by David. I loved the guy. Other than that irritating pre-throw glove tap with the ball (which he was still doing in rehab), I loved everything about the way he played the game and dealt with stardom in NY. I hope his pain becomes manageable once he abandons his intense rehab routine. I will go to his final game and again when they retire his number. Then I'll wonder who the hell in this rudderless organization might ever come close to being the player he was.

Not much of an argument. Seaver was a first ballot HOFer. Wright’s career fell short of expectations. You can argue he was their greatest position player but you might get an argument in return.
    1. Wright
    2. Piazza
    3. Straw

Two most dominant single seasons by a Mets position player IMO were Olerud's 1998 and Piazza's 2000 (followed by his 1999). Would you agree that David's best year was 2007?
    Last edited by The Futurist; 09-14-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast