Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    I really hope we can keep:
    1. Milano
    2. Daryl Williams
    3. Jon Feliciano

If possible, I wouldn't be opposed to a trade for Ertz

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to trade for JJ watt. I think he single handedly makes us the best team in the league.
    Can we afford to add his contract? I have no idea our cap situation.
    The Bills have very little cap space, especially with the cap staying flat for next season. I agree that they are a premiere pass rusher away from taking the next step, but Watt isn't really that player at this point in his career. He's a hall of famer for sure, but he spends a LOT of time injured now and carries a big salary that the Bills can't afford. Combine that with whatever assets they'd have to part with in a trade and it doesn't make sense for them. There's actually a chance that the Texans might release Watt for cap purposes if a trade market doesn't develop. If that happens and the Bills can sign him to a more reasonable 1-year deal then that would definitely be something worth exploring. Watt might be open to signing with them for a chance to win a super bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    I really hope we can keep:
    1. Milano
    2. Daryl Williams
    3. Jon Feliciano

If possible, I wouldn't be opposed to a trade for Ertz
    Agreed that those 3 players should be the priority. A lot of what I've read says that we should prepare ourselves for Milano leaving in free agency though. He's likely to get a big offer from another team. The fact that the cap is staying flat for next year may help the Bills in the sense that other teams won't have as much cash to throw around. Between that and Milano's injury history, that big market for him may not develop. Fingers crossed!

Yea...really keeping my fingers crossed on Milano. But it seems likely someone else offers more money. Hence, so many mocks have Buffalo taking an LB at pick #30.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bills Fan View Post
    The Bills have very little cap space, especially with the cap staying flat for next season. I agree that they are a premiere pass rusher away from taking the next step, but Watt isn't really that player at this point in his career. He's a hall of famer for sure, but he spends a LOT of time injured now and carries a big salary that the Bills can't afford. Combine that with whatever assets they'd have to part with in a trade and it doesn't make sense for them. There's actually a chance that the Texans might release Watt for cap purposes if a trade market doesn't develop. If that happens and the Bills can sign him to a more reasonable 1-year deal then that would definitely be something worth exploring. Watt might be open to signing with them for a chance to win a super bowl.
    Okay, this just got interesting. With the Texans releasing Watt this morning, he should definitely become a priority for the Bills. I'm sure there'll be some interest on his part to play with his brothers in Pittsburgh, but Buffalo can make a better pitch than the Steelers as far as being a legit Super Bowl contender. Buffalo and that fan base feel like a natural fit for Watt. We'll see...

He is def going to a contender. I don't know if Pitt is really one anymore. But they still have a good shot. And maybe Green Bay / Kansas / Tampa.

Iím reading there is mutual interest in Watt.

Cap space is going to be the issue. The salary cap could be as low as $180 million this year due to COVID, which would be an $18 million drop from this past season. The Bills will be starting the offseason with as little as $3 million in cap space. Tough decisions will need to be made, including the possibility of letting Milano walk.

If this were a normal year, the salary cap would've been around $210 million if it increased about the same amount as in recent years. That would've made it easy to keep Milano and make an impactful signing. Now they may even have to release players like John Brown.

Yea...reading Milano is likely to walk. That would be a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    Yea...reading Milano is likely to walk. That would be a huge loss.
    Yeah Iím worried our LB are about to become a hole. The draft will hopefully help.

Yeah Iím worried our LB are about to become a hole. The draft will hopefully help.
    Milano is almost definitely gone. He and Beane have more or less acknowledged that at this point. It's going to hurt, but their defense can weather that storm, especially if they're able to add a disruptive pass rusher like Watt. Last season, once the Bills stopped trying to make AJ Klein play like Milano and just let him play like himself, that defense improved significantly even before Milano came back from his injury.

The Bills can actually help make financial room for Watt by releasing one or two of the D linemen they picked up last offseason. Don't quote me on this, but I think that Addison, Butler and Jefferson all had their contracts structured in ways that they can be cut this offseason to give the team more cap space. If they can bring in Watt and then get Lotulelei back then they can definitely afford to cut a couple of the newer D-linemen.

I think John Brown will be cut, which they can better handle due to the emergence of Davis. I don't see them being able to keep both Williams and Feliciano on the O-Line. Hopefully one of them though. I'd prefer they keep Williams, but it's all about money and how much these guys can fetch on the open market. It'll also be interesting to see what the overall FA landscape is around the league. It's not just the Bills that are dealing with the reduced cap. It's very possible that the robust market that might usually develop for Milano, Williams, etc... might just not be there this offseason. It's also possible that the Bills are able to sign some quality players cut by other teams who find themselves with similar financial issues as us. It's going to be an interesting offseason for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bills Fan View Post
    Milano is almost definitely gone. He and Beane have more or less acknowledged that at this point. It's going to hurt, but their defense can weather that storm, especially if they're able to add a disruptive pass rusher like Watt. Last season, once the Bills stopped trying to make AJ Klein play like Milano and just let him play like himself, that defense improved significantly even before Milano came back from his injury.

The Bills can actually help make financial room for Watt by releasing one or two of the D linemen they picked up last offseason. Don't quote me on this, but I think that Addison, Butler and Jefferson all had their contracts structured in ways that they can be cut this offseason to give the team more cap space. If they can bring in Watt and then get Lotulelei back then they can definitely afford to cut a couple of the newer D-linemen.

I think John Brown will be cut, which they can better handle due to the emergence of Davis. I don't see them being able to keep both Williams and Feliciano on the O-Line. Hopefully one of them though. I'd prefer they keep Williams, but it's all about money and how much these guys can fetch on the open market. It'll also be interesting to see what the overall FA landscape is around the league. It's not just the Bills that are dealing with the reduced cap. It's very possible that the robust market that might usually develop for Milano, Williams, etc... might just not be there this offseason. It's also possible that the Bills are able to sign some quality players cut by other teams who find themselves with similar financial issues as us. It's going to be an interesting offseason for sure.
    Yeah, I've read a lot of these same things regarding who the Bills may or may not keep. They can also restructure Morse to help.

This is a league-wide issue. Players may end up just signing one year deals and waiting for the cap to increase next year. There isn't a lot of money out there for free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Yeah, I've read a lot of these same things regarding who the Bills may or may not keep. They can also restructure Morse to help.

This is a league-wide issue. Players may end up just signing one year deals and waiting for the cap to increase next year. There isn't a lot of money out there for free agents.
    Iím definitely down to cut brown.
    We really need a RB that can power for yards.

Is McKenzie expensive? Because he isnít that great or a gadget imo. Roberts? Our kick returner is getting paid too much even though heís good.
    Our kickers cost next to nothing so no savings there.

Damn. Really thought we would land watt.

Damn. Really thought we would land watt.
    Yep, it's disappointing. I think the lure of money was just too great. These guys have a very limited window to make as much money as possible, and as much as Watt talked about wanting to compete for a title, the difference between what he reportedly signed with AZ for and what teams like the Bills could offer was huge. I don't see Watt winning the super bowl in AZ, but they're at least good enough that people can't just say that he took the money and didn't care at all about winning.

I'm not really sure where the Bills go from here as far as addressing their pass rush needs. There are some intriguing draft prospects, but I'm not sure that any are going to be ready to go right out of the gate. A FA probably makes more sense, but I'm not in love with any of the ones I'm seeing available.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast