Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2021 Free Agency Thread

Here's a summary of what's happened so far leading into the start of free agency on Monday:

The Bills had high hopes heading into the 2020 season, and they more than surpassed those expectations. Buffalo was one game shy of making it to the Super Bowl, and that was largely because of the players the team added this time last year.

Last offseason, the Bills had around $83 million in cap space to do whatever they wanted, and they wound up adding Stefon Diggs, three new defensive linemen, A.J. Klein and Josh Norman. They also extended Dion Dawkins and TreíDavious White, two players who are crucial for their future.
    Unfortunately for the Bills, the flexibility they enjoyed last March feels like years ago. Because of the pandemicís leaguewide effects and a shrinking salary cap, the Bills are now on the opposite side of the spectrum. On Wednesday, the league informed teams that the salary cap would be set at $182.5 million.

Following the $2.9 million pay cut of Mitch Morse, the Billsí Top 51 contracts and the previous dead cap put the Bills right at approximately $183.9 million. When you add in the $5.8 million in the rollover cap room from 2020, that gives them roughly $4.54 million in cap space before their Wednesday and Thursday moves.

The Bills must carefully navigate this offseason by keeping enough talent around to make a Super Bowl run while also adding the players necessary to put them over the top in 2021. What steps should they take to accomplish all their goals? Which positions should they target?

We attempt to predict how the Bills will approach the next two months in a full-scale mock offseason that includes veteran cuts, potential extensions, free-agency signings, trades and draft picks. And weíll keep a running log of the available salary-cap space along the way.

Billsí salary-cap room the morning of March 10: ~$2.54 million

The Billsí 3 moves Wednesday

WR John Brown released

Although Brown was a critical player in Josh Allenís development during the 2019 season, multiple lower-body injuries dominated his 2020 season, and he wasnít anywhere close to the same player that he was a year ago. With both Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley as the top two options, along with the emergence of Gabriel Davis as a potential starter in 2021, keeping Brown on a cap hit of over $9 million wasnít justifiable. It makes more sense for the Bills to draft a wide receiver rather than keeping Brown and ruining some offseason flexibility.

Billsí Salary Cap room after the move: ~$11.30 million
    (TE Nate Becker replaces Brownís contract on the Top 51)

DE/DT Quinton Jefferson released

Jefferson or Vernon Butler had to go, and ultimately the Bills got more out of Butler last season than they did Jefferson. While the Bills likely wanted to use Jefferson in more of a hybrid defensive end and defensive tackle role last year, he played the full season as a defensive tackle and was dreadful as a run defender. Jefferson provided occasional flashes as a pass rusher, but not enough to justify the rest of his season. Butler was also a player GM Brandon Beane had a hand in drafting in Carolina. He spent one season with head coach Sean McDermott there and has worked his entire career with Bills defensive line coach Eric Washington. Butler also proved to be a versatile defensive tackle who can play both positions. Given the history and the better play, the edge went to Butler.

Billsí Salary Cap room after the move: ~$17.14 million
    (S Josh Thomas replaces Jeffersonís contract on the Top 51)

Vernon Butler restructure

Much like the Bills did with Morse, the team restructured Butlerís contract to provide additional cap relief for 2021 while returning a key role player for the upcoming season. It wouldnít be a surprise if they guaranteed more of Butlerís base salary this year while lowering the total base salary. That scenario would help the team and assure Butler that heíll be on the roster in 2021. The exact total saved with Butler has not yet been identified, but it will likely fall in the range of $1.5 million to $2 million. For this mock offseason exercise, weíll just call it $2 million.

Billsí Salary Cap room after the move: ~$19.14 million

The Matt Milano re-signing

The Bills threw an initial wrench into the mock offseason only hours into it, but Milanoís cap number for 2021 is still conducive to other moves throughout the offseason. According to Sal Capaccio of WGR Radio in Buffalo, Milano had a $7 million signing bonus and his base salary in 2021 is $5.3 million. That puts Milano at around a $7.05 million cap hit before roster and workout bonuses, so weíll put his 2021 cap hit at $8.5 million to be safe. Milano was one of the Billsí biggest moves and retained one of their best players, signaling a legitimate trickle-down effect through the rest of their offseason. However, there remains some flexibility ahead.

Billsí salary-cap room after the move: ~$11.3 million
    (S Josh Thomas removed from the Top 51)
    https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021...s-draft-picks/

I am pretty sure I read that Lee Smith might retire as well, which should lead to a little more cap room.

Thanks for posting this.

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    The #Bills are giving OT Daryl Williams a 3-year deal worth $28.2M ($9.4M average) with nearly $14M guaranteed. A nice deal for Williams.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1370448401121312770

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

55m
    One reason the #Bills have the ability to keep their core together: Several players have agreed to small paycuts (often with the ability to make it back in incentives). DE Mario Addison recently did one, source said, following in the footsteps of Mitch Morse and Vernon Butler.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1370455132140371982

Looks like they'll just be running it back with additions from the draft and mid-low tier free agent signings.

I'm fine with that. The cap situation is what it is for this year, but there will be a spike. This is a smart approach. Maintain and buy an extra year of time instead of creating new holes by filling others.

WR has also become a big need with them letting Brown go and with the possibility of McKenzie and Roberts walking. Other than that, everything else remains status quo.
    Last edited by smood999; 03-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    The #Bills are giving OT Daryl Williams a 3-year deal worth $28.2M ($9.4M average) with nearly $14M guaranteed. A nice deal for Williams.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1370448401121312770

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet

55m
    One reason the #Bills have the ability to keep their core together: Several players have agreed to small paycuts (often with the ability to make it back in incentives). DE Mario Addison recently did one, source said, following in the footsteps of Mitch Morse and Vernon Butler.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1370455132140371982

Looks like they'll just be running it back with additions from the draft and mid-low tier free agent signings.

I'm fine with that. The cap situation is what it is for this year, but there will be a spike. This is a smart approach. Maintain and buy an extra year of time instead of creating new holes by filling others.

WR has also become a big need with them letting Brown go and with the possibility of McKenzie and Roberts walking. Other than that, everything else remains status quo.
    Williams really anchored our pass defence so Iím happy to see him signed... but it basically means our running game will be just as inept as it was last season. Watching video breakdowns itís obvious that Williams was TERRIBLE in the run game last season. Terrible. Often standing around watching. It was weird to see in slow mo.

I donít think WR is a huge hole. Roberts was great on KR so that will suck to lose, but Iím sure someone will step into that role.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I donít think WR is a huge hole. Roberts was great on KR so that will suck to lose, but Iím sure someone will step into that role.
    He was a big deal. He helped the team big time in terms of field position.

The Bills overall severely lack speed as well now with Brown and possibly McKenzie gone.

Also, all of those gadget plays...gone since the main two players that ran them were Brown and McKenzie.

Beasley will be 32 in a month and they'll have the same decision to make about him next offseason as well based on his contract.

They literally only have Diggs and Davis locked up long term.

Williams really anchored our pass defence so Iím happy to see him signed... but it basically means our running game will be just as inept as it was last season. Watching video breakdowns itís obvious that Williams was TERRIBLE in the run game last season. Terrible. Often standing around watching. It was weird to see in slow mo.
    I thought it was more the Gs in terms of poor run blocking.

The Bills overall severely lack speed as well now with Brown and possibly McKenzie gone.

Also, all of those gadget plays...gone since the main two players that ran them were Brown and McKenzie.

Beasley will be 32 in a month and they'll have the same decision to make about him next offseason as well based on his contract.

Yeah and roberts was super reliable. Some players make me cringe when theyíre fielding the ball.

You know who would look good on this team right now? CJ Spiller. A true RB that can play true WR would be perfect for us. I hope we can pick up a gadget guy to fill that role. Iíd be surprised if mckenzie isnít back. They probably low balled him and heís seeing if there are greener pastures. I doubt there will be. He hasnít done much on the field overall, but will get some good opportunity here next season with kick returns and gadget plays.

We can pencil in a punter with our 7th rounder.

Beasley will probably be taking a pay cut next season. Heís been great in the welker role for us, but 32 year old receivers without speed or size and with some occasional injury issues... by then people might be saying beasleys success is due to Allen.

Even though the offence was one of the best in the league this year, Iíd be down to spend the first 3 picks on that side of the ball. OL, WR, RB. I doubt they do it, but I really donít want to see any drop off from Allen. A lot went right this season with the OL especially. Hope itís repeatable.

I thought it was more the Gs in terms of poor run blocking.
    https://youtu.be/MxOy6qLZ2x4

I wouldn't be surprised if we take a WR early in the draft. That or CB. At this point, we can be extremely flexible and go best player available.

I also think McKenzie will be back. Really hope so. Love that dude.

TY Hilton hitting Fa? How can we free up 20mil? Lol

Yeah with the re-signing of John we are pretty much running it back without brown. Hereís to a good draft boys!

TY Hilton hitting Fa? How can we free up 20mil? Lol
    He won't cost that much. He's probably one of the more affordable options if the Bills are looking to replace Brown in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smuggler View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if we take a WR early in the draft. That or CB. At this point, we can be extremely flexible and go best player available.

I also think McKenzie will be back. Really hope so. Love that dude.
    Yeah I think an offensive weapon and CB should be the two top priorities in the draft. I'm on the Travis Etienne train.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast