Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 220
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,327

    Optimisim thread

    What are you guys excited for this season?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,327
    For me I'm hoping to see Hyde and poyer have another great season. If that happens and someone emerges across from White.. we would have a top secondary.

    We have high picks in both the LB and DL spots that I look forward to seeing play.

    On offense McCoy could put himself in with the upper echelon of all time RB with a couple more seasons. Can he perform without incognito opening holes for him?

    Could Peterman surprise with a 25td/10int season? Or does Allen step in and show some flashes? Say Jones catching a pass would be a positive - maybe he can harness that Jesus power he used to walk through a glass door.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    We will know exactly how the year will play out week 1 against Baltimore's middle of the pack ranked defense. Baltimore's defense is not overpowering, but they are not pushovers either. Plus they will have two players out this week.

    The only thing an educated Bills fan can be optimistic about is hoping that our WR's perform. We know our line is going to kill our QB. If anyone here thinks they will get better your nuts.

    We have to hope that Kerley shows up and plays. That will then allow Benjamin to not be the only focal point on the minds of the opposing Defense. Then this would allow Ray-Ray or Foster to hopefully sneak around and show off some speed. If this all happens, then perhaps these WR's we have will finally create separation off the line, which will then create a window for Peterman to throw to. Last year, our WR's couldn't create separation. Then all we heard is our QB holds the ball to long. Pre season, McCarron holds the ball to long. Then Allens start, everyone said he held the ball to long. If QB's are holding the ball to long, the WR's are not getting open and there is no one to throw to. But after Hike, if these guys could get a couple steps in front, creating an opportunity for Peterman to throw it off quickly, before getting concussed by our putrid line, then we have a chance.

    On Defense, Lets pray that Trent Murphy and Kyle Williams stay healthy. Them playing healthy, with Star, who will be as solid as he always is, will then allow Hughes to be who he is and Shaq hopefully will join the party and become another force. Edmunds will lead this team with 150 tackles. And if our D Line can overpower the OLine, our secondary will become a turnover machine. Last year, our DLine did absolutely nothing. QB's didn't sweat playing us at all and the secondary was still a beast. If we can get that push, to make the QB's throw off balance, take chances, we can be optimistic about having a good year.
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,327
    Honestly I'm not optimistic about having a "good year" overall. But definitley the defense could surprise.
    I agree it basically depends on the DL stepping up. if they do then we should have a top defense.
    If peterman somehow doesnt turn the ball over then that coud be a winning team.

    I see so little talent on the offense that i have no hopes. The good news is we are a couple pieces away on defense, but all of our early draft capitol needs to be going to the offense.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,327
    Week 1 - the offense finally moved the ball once Allen came in. Flashed that exceptional arm strength and moved the sticks with his feet.

    Edmunds looked great. He's going to be a star. Was impressed with his tackling ability in the open, forced a fumble with a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, and showed the ability to cover guys in pass coverage. Only 20 years old.

    White still looking like a top shutdown CB. And Kyle Williams still somehow productive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Week 1 - the offense finally moved the ball once Allen came in. Flashed that exceptional arm strength and moved the sticks with his feet.

    Edmunds looked great. He's going to be a star. Was impressed with his tackling ability in the open, forced a fumble with a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, and showed the ability to cover guys in pass coverage. Only 20 years old.

    White still looking like a top shutdown CB. And Kyle Williams still somehow productive.
    I really really really want to use Allen moving the chains as a silver lining to a long miserable day. But then I heard Harbough's post game interview. He said he told his third stringers that were playing, that the score in their eyes should be 0-0. He said he told them to play hard and continue to be aggressive. and he was disappointed that his 3rd stringers only won the game 7-3. SO in the end, watching Allen play yesterday meant no more than his performance in a pre season game. Once the starters come in to demolish our line, we will most likely see a repeat of the Cinci game he started against the starters.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Lets keep this optimism thread going all season. What can we all be optimistic about against the Chargers.

    We did see Mahomes throw all over the Chargers secondary Sunday. Bills could have had Mahomes, but a lot of people here were against me when I said Mahomes last year with the tenth pick, would have been a lot better than trading picks, to then get Allen this year. We will see in the future who will be right about that one as well.

    The game plan, whether it is Peterman or Allen starting, has to be the same. Every single snap has to be in the Shotgun formation. I said this with TT last year because of how bad the line was and this year it remains the same. Every snap under Shotgun, so that we then manufacture an extra 1.5 seconds for the QB to see the field. Hiking under Center is no longer an option. Manufacturing the extra time for the QB will help McCoy as well, as he can break fast right or left and get the check down pass if no one is open.

    Defense wont win this game for us. Against Baltimore, 7 out of 15 drives went backwards. Defense was on the field way to long. They cant survive another game where we don't get a first down and punt it away 26 seconds after getting the ball.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    37
    Is it too cynical to say that the only thing I'm optimistic about with this team is getting the #1 overall pick in next years draft? And hopefully they'll use it to trade down and grab multiple picks because this team has so many holes to fill it's hard to even wrap my head around.

    I'm kind of joking but not really. I think this season is just about continuing to develop the few talented younger players they have (Edmunds, Poyer, White, etc...) while hopefully identifying some other depth guys that have staying power. Oh, and also don't get Josh Allen killed.

    I'd like to see them trade Shady for draft picks. I know that McDermott can't come out and say it but this season was over before it began. All organizational efforts should be put toward building for the future.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,327
    I agree with trading McCoy even though a 3rd is the best case scenario. Murphy looked best week 1.

    I also agree with trading down and trying to get a WR and at least 2 OL with the first few picks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,327
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I really really really want to use Allen moving the chains as a silver lining to a long miserable day. But then I heard Harbough's post game interview. He said he told his third stringers that were playing, that the score in their eyes should be 0-0. He said he told them to play hard and continue to be aggressive. and he was disappointed that his 3rd stringers only won the game 7-3. SO in the end, watching Allen play yesterday meant no more than his performance in a pre season game. Once the starters come in to demolish our line, we will most likely see a repeat of the Cinci game he started against the starters.
    The optimisim in this post is that the issue isn't Allen, it's the OL.

    On your other post - you can't really say it was a bad idea to get Allen this year because the team wasn't ready for a QB, then turn around and say they should have gotten machines the year prior. Optimistically they are very comparable QB prospects except Allen is better suited to play in Buffalo winters.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    The optimisim in this post is that the issue isn't Allen, it's the OL.

    On your other post - you can't really say it was a bad idea to get Allen this year because the team wasn't ready for a QB, then turn around and say they should have gotten machines the year prior. Optimistically they are very comparable QB prospects except Allen is better suited to play in Buffalo winters.
    The Bills were giving up on Tyrod. So obviously, the Bills were going to get a QB. So what would better serve the team, use their 10th pick on Mahomes. Or trade multiple picks for Allen the following year. You all know I would have kept TT or McCarron and never even bothered drafting a QB and using all the picks at Lineman on both sides of the ball and WR's. But we know they weren't going that route. They wanted a QB of the future and As I said before the draft, Mahomes could have been that guy without needing to trade away so much for Allen.

    Plus as I said before, I am not sure you can even blame Peterman for what we saw. I have been blaming the line for our QB woes for three seasons. You all have been blaming our QB for the problems, but now this year, you say its the line. As I said in the other post, you cannot truly judge any QB's performance for the Bills until they have an actual chance. Hiking under center, counting to 2 and needing to find an open WR by then is not realistic at all.
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-11-2018 at 01:09 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Bills Fan View Post
    Is it too cynical to say that the only thing I'm optimistic about with this team is getting the #1 overall pick in next years draft? And hopefully they'll use it to trade down and grab multiple picks because this team has so many holes to fill it's hard to even wrap my head around.

    I'm kind of joking but not really. I think this season is just about continuing to develop the few talented younger players they have (Edmunds, Poyer, White, etc...) while hopefully identifying some other depth guys that have staying power. Oh, and also don't get Josh Allen killed.

    I'd like to see them trade Shady for draft picks. I know that McDermott can't come out and say it but this season was over before it began. All organizational efforts should be put toward building for the future.
    I don't think that's cynical at all and that might be the only option for this team to improve on personal. Im hearing now that Coleman signed with the Pats, McDermott released him because he refused to read the playbook and told him he didn't want to stay in Buffalo. If true, drafting players and hoping they change their mind may be the only way to build a team, because all the cap space in the world will not make players want to come here.

    Perhaps in free agency we can snag a lineman. Perhaps their will be to many free agents and not enough teams needing lineman so the Bills will luck out. But we need to be definitely concerned about WR's. Year after year WR's refuse to come here. Then when we draft Watkins, he refuses to stay here and even give Buffalo a chance. John Browns situation is the most eye opening. He was the last remaining free agent WR. Ravens signed two good WR's and drafted a TE #1, who all will figure to see a lot of targets. He then turns down more money from us, even with his history of significant injuries, to play for less in what could be a crowded Ravens Locker room. That is something to think about for next year rather than pretend it didn't happen.
    Last edited by sabres11; 09-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I don't think that's cynical at all and that might be the only option for this team to improve on personal. Im hearing now that Coleman signed with the Pats, McDermott released him because he refused to read the playbook and told him he didn't want to stay in Buffalo. If true, drafting players and hoping they change their mind may be the only way to build a team, because all the cap space in the world will not make players want to come here.
    Yeah, the Bills have a competitive disadvantage because they and Cleveland are basically the NFL's least desirable teams in terms of locale, current roster and historical performance. They also find themselves in a very unfortunate Catch-22. The smart play is to trade Shady and perhaps another valuable vet or two (Benjamin? Hughes?) and build for the future. However, that not only makes them less desirable to free agents in the short term but also has the potential to demoralize and alienate the good players they already have on the roster who would hopefully be in the Bills long-term plans.

    It's sadly telling that a "Bills Optimism Thread" has now made me want to curl up into the fetal position and cry myself to sleep...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    14,823
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    The Bills were giving up on Tyrod. So obviously, the Bills were going to get a QB. So what would better serve the team, use their 10th pick on Mahomes. Or trade multiple picks for Allen the following year. You all know I would have kept TT or McCarron and never even bothered drafting a QB and using all the picks at Lineman on both sides of the ball and WR's. But we know they weren't going that route. They wanted a QB of the future and As I said before the draft, Mahomes could have been that guy without needing to trade away so much for Allen.

    Plus as I said before, I am not sure you can even blame Peterman for what we saw. I have been blaming the line for our QB woes for three seasons. You all have been blaming our QB for the problems, but now this year, you say its the line. As I said in the other post, you cannot truly judge any QB's performance for the Bills until they have an actual chance. Hiking under center, counting to 2 and needing to find an open WR by then is not realistic at all.
    I actually agree. I wanted Watson, Mahommes, or Trubisky...any of them. However, all they did was trade what they received when they traded back and also Cordy Glenn, who they were rumored to move on from anyway. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    14,823
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I don't think that's cynical at all and that might be the only option for this team to improve on personal. Im hearing now that Coleman signed with the Pats, McDermott released him because he refused to read the playbook and told him he didn't want to stay in Buffalo. If true, drafting players and hoping they change their mind may be the only way to build a team, because all the cap space in the world will not make players want to come here.

    Perhaps in free agency we can snag a lineman. Perhaps their will be to many free agents and not enough teams needing lineman so the Bills will luck out. But we need to be definitely concerned about WR's. Year after year WR's refuse to come here. Then when we draft Watkins, he refuses to stay here and even give Buffalo a chance. John Browns situation is the most eye opening. He was the last remaining free agent WR. Ravens signed two good WR's and drafted a TE #1, who all will figure to see a lot of targets. He then turns down more money from us, even with his history of significant injuries, to play for less in what could be a crowded Ravens Locker room. That is something to think about for next year rather than pretend it didn't happen.
    This is completely false lol.

    John Brown was the first WR to sign with the Ravens on March 13th. Crabtree wasn't even released by the Raiders yet.

    Crabtree signed on March 16th.

    Snead signed on April 20th.

    The draft wasn't even until April 26th.

    Please check your facts before throwing things out there.

    Other than that, I agree that Buffalo has never really been a free agent destination.
    Last edited by smood999; 09-11-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •