Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
    Considering Strop had a hammy issue in 2016, and the general durable as glass nature of pitchers, hopefully Maddon talked with Strop about not running hard down the line and Strop simply forgot in the heat of the moment.

Overall I'm still pro-Maddon based on being so cautious when it comes to Starting Pitcher workloads, as well as being open to using the bunt in key situations. One of these days though the Pitcher hitting eighth is going to backfire in a major way. Hopefully it's not this season.

If memory serves me correctly LaRussa started that trend a decade ago or so. Stat people will tell me a hundred times over batting orders don't matter over the course of a whole season. But putting an eight hole pitcher in a RISP two out situation, or runner at third/one out, when a positional player normally would be up is an idea I'm never going to get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Any suggestions on who should manage this team next year?
    Do you know something we dont?

I know it's crazy to think about given his cubs history but Justin Wilson is my closer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Yeah, I have no real issue with Maddon as our manager. I think his over-managing and over-thinking recently is a by product of having to play so many days in a row and making in-game changes on the fly to rest players in game and his moves have backfired.

I think when you play 20-23 days in a row on an official schedule and a game or 2 is rained out and 1 of them is rescheduled as a double header, the other rainout cannot be rescheduled on the teams actual day off (today). It has to be rescheduled later on in the year or after Game 162 if itís in September.

The league office is just ****ing ridiculous sometimes.
    I agree. I think the idea of getting rid of Maddon is ridiculous. This FO gave the Cubs nothing this off season and he is guiding them to another 90+ win season. When you factor in Bryant missed a good chunk of time as well, you have to know this has been Maddon's best year as the Cubs manager.
    That said, the last 1/2 week he has not been great. Monday, I heard his reasoning for doing what he did, but IMO he did not have a good game. And yesterday was not his shining moment either. And I am not even talking about taking Monty out, pitching Edwards and even letting Strop bat. I see the reasoning in all of that. I am mainly talking about using Contreras to pinch hit for Caratini. I agree you pinch hit for him (he is hitting around .140 as a right handed bat). But you have to go Zobrist. He had to be first. Then figure out what to do next.
    Those complaining about Edwards being used really need to realize he has to be straightened out if the Cubs are going to go anywhere in the playoffs. He has to pitch. I get that thought process by Joe. Sure, I cringe when he comes in. But he needs to have that good outing to then turn himself around. This is even more important now.
    I also understand pulling Monty. The last 2 starts he has blown up quickly. And this could have been no different. And it is September. You do things differently now. And Keiboom was coming up, who had homered off him already. I feel those complaining about that decision are doing so based on the result that followed. I also understood letting Strop bat. He wanted his best pitcher pitching the last inning. He was at 21 pitches and was not going to be used anyway, today. And anything but a double play and he still had another AB. Blaming Joe for Strop getting hurt is just not fair.
    Sure, Maddon does things others think are wrong. But he always has his reasons and usually they have merit. I honestly do not feel he is any different than any other manager when it comes to in game decisions. Easy to criticize when whatever Joe does backfires. But somehow he got this team to still having the best record in the NL even though they have had a lot of setbacks this year.

I used to hate Murphy for what he did against the Cubs. Now I hate him for what he does with the Cubs. If he is not hitting he should not be playing. He is awful defensively. At least once a game and probably more than that a ball gets by him that I am certain Javy or even Zobrist would get to. I am beginning to see why every team in the NL passed on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I know it's crazy to think about given his cubs history but Justin Wilson is my closer right now.
    As good a choice as any. I actually do not think he will have a closer. It will be depending on who is up in an inning he needs a guy. Who knows, maybe it ends up Rosario or someone else unexpected. Sometimes a closer is found out of desperation. It has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Sort of. They said he touched 90 the other day. Maybe itís rust. Maybe itís a bad version of him that will return. Weíll see.
    I didn't look too much into that because they might have told him to not go all out and he might have just been throwing off speed stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    Considering Strop had a hammy issue in 2016, and the general durable as glass nature of pitchers, hopefully Maddon talked with Strop about not running hard down the line and Strop simply forgot in the heat of the moment.

Overall I'm still pro-Maddon based on being so cautious when it comes to Starting Pitcher workloads, as well as being open to using the bunt in key situations. One of these days though the Pitcher hitting eighth is going to backfire in a major way. Hopefully it's not this season.

If memory serves me correctly LaRussa started that trend a decade ago or so. Stat people will tell me a hundred times over batting orders don't matter over the course of a whole season. But putting an eight hole pitcher in a RISP two out situation, or runner at third/one out, when a positional player normally would be up is an idea I'm never going to get behind.
    https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...itcher-eighth/

So basically no difference, with a ever so slight edge to the pitcher batting 8th. For every time the pitcher comes up in a key situation while batting 8th, there would be the same situation if he batted 9th. Different game, different situation, but it would come up just as often. That is why when Prior suggests there will be a time the pitcher hitting 8th will bite them, that cannot be argued. Except that there would also be a time when the pitcher hitting 9th would bite them just as much, and just as often.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    So basically no difference, with a ever so slight edge to the pitcher batting 8th. For every time the pitcher comes up in a key situation while batting 8th, there would be the same situation if he batted 9th. Different game, different situation, but it would come up just as often. That is why when Prior suggests there will be a time the pitcher hitting 8th will bite them, that cannot be argued. Except that there would also be a time when the pitcher hitting 9th would bite them just as much, and just as often.
    Yep.......pretty much.

Regardless of stats, Iíd rather my worst hitter just hit last where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Addison did hit 9th in the last game against the Brewers

I think with our schedule and now the Strop injury, it's even more important to win the division. We need those 3 off days before the division series starts. I still believe Strop has a chance to get back before then, hopefully we hear some good news today.

Yeah, a few days off after the season would be a god send for this group. If they wrap it up a little early too they could potentially rest guys in the Cards series.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    So regardless of facts that prove otherwise, you want him hitting 9th because that is the way it has always been done. Honestly, I get it. I am old fashioned and also think the pitcher should hit 9th. I just do not take issue with someone who decides to hit him 8th.

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast