Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Three new NBA Rule changes for 2018-2019 possibly added

ESPN Sources: NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes for 2018-19 season that include: reset of shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebound; simplification of clear-path foul rule; expanding definition of "hostile act" for purposes of triggering replay.

Resetting of shot clock to 14 seconds is a huge change - especially when games are close and comes down to the final minute.

after an offensive rebound? ooo that is harsh but in a weird way I like it, im not totally against it

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    after an offensive rebound? ooo that is harsh but in a weird way I like it, im not totally against it
    There's only about ten offensive rebounds per team in a game so this would shave 1 minute and 40 seconds. I can see it being a huge game changer in a close game.

Ex: Red team down 2 points, blue team has the ball with 50 seconds left. Blue team takes a shot at 27 seconds left, get the offensive rebound, and take a shot at 14 seconds left. Gives the red team 13 seconds wheras it would be only 2 seconds left under the 24 second shotclock. I think this is the ultimate reason they made this change and that's to account for the three point shooting and giving enough of an opportuntity for teams to come back and try to win.

The NBA still refuses to address the issue of jumpshooters erratically veering into defenders to draw a foul. It happens all the time and it's not a basketball move. Should be an offense foul every time
    I wouldn't it being a tech too.

The offensive rebound thing is redic. the game is plenty fast and the rules already reward one dominate style of play. I really don't see the need for clarification on clear path but I'd have to see what they do. Replay needs to be scrapped with exception of buzzer beaters and the 3 point line not expanded

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

The NBA trying to put the nail in the coffin of the NBA big man.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    The NBA still refuses to address the issue of jumpshooters erratically veering into defenders to draw a foul. It happens all the time and it's not a basketball move. Should be an offense foul every time
    I wouldn't it being a tech too.
    I think that's been clarified a bit during the season. Most refs aren't calling it as much. The problem is it is so difficult to determine real-time if they leaned into it or if the other player truly did foul them regardless of the player leaning into them. It's a tough call to make these days for the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    The NBA trying to put the nail in the coffin of the NBA big man.
    The shorter clock actually encourages them to keep it and try to score a little more than pass it out and reset the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The shorter clock actually encourages them to keep it and try to score a little more than pass it out and reset the offense.

Team already don't send guys to the offensive glass and largely have abandoned taking the time to organize and post a big. Encouraging quick shots is not to the benefit of a more traditional big.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Team already don't send guys to the offensive glass and largely have abandoned taking the time to organize and post a big. Encouraging quick shots is not to the benefit of a more traditional big.
    14 seconds does not mean a quick shot.

Giving less time devalues the offensive rebound, plain and simple. It may not be this rule change, but at some point it won't be worth playing big men at all and they'll all be replaced with 6'9" wing players.

I'm fine with the 14-second rule change in that there will be fewer automatic fouls and more attempts at legitimate shots late in games. It's just going to suck the first time this screws the Rockets out of a win in a game they otherwise would have won with the previous rule. That day I will absolute curse this rule...

I don't think it will have some huge impact on big men like some are suggesting in this thread. Getting an offensive rebound is still the equivalent of getting an extra possession; that possession is just a little shorter. Also, this will really only matter in the last minute or so of every quarter. And you could argue that with less time on the shot clock, having a big man with the ball already in his hands down low, the best shot in that shorter possession is probably a put back around the rim, which might give that offensive rebounder added value.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'm fine with the 14-second rule change in that there will be fewer automatic fouls and more attempts at legitimate shots late in games. It's just going to suck the first time this screws the Rockets out of a win in a game they otherwise would have won with the previous rule. That day I will absolute curse this rule...

I don't think it will have some huge impact on big men like some are suggesting in this thread. Getting an offensive rebound is still the equivalent of getting an extra possession; that possession is just a little shorter. Also, this will really only matter in the last minute or so of every quarter. And you could argue that with less time on the shot clock, having a big man with the ball already in his hands down low, the best shot in that shorter possession is probably a put back around the rim, which might give that offensive rebounder added value.
    A 14 second shot clock is worth substantially less than a full possession. You acknowledge that there's no time to run a play and the best shot may be just to put it back up, so it's obviously worth less than a full possession because you can't run a full play.

14 seconds likely comes from the clock reset on kicked balls, and that time comes from the old halfcourt 10 second rule. Essentially, if we're going to give you the ball out of bounds because of the kick, on this side of the halfcourt line, we're going to deduct the time you would have taken to get it across halfcourt. The two problems with that is that 1) it's no longer 10 seconds, it's 8 seconds to get across the halfcourt line. 2) On an offensive rebound the clock is live. On a kick the offense has time to get players where they want because the clock is stopped. Those are not equivalent situations.

The logic is that a kicked ball is the equivalent of a full possession, because of the halfcourt line. So, for an offensive rebound to be the equivalent, you have to get the rebound PLUS take a timeout. Thus an offensive rebound is worth substantially less than a full possession.
    Last edited by IndyRealist; 08-24-2018 at 10:33 AM.

14 seconds does not mean a quick shot.
    It could, if the offensive board is in a crowd and it takes a few seconds to get the ball back up top to reset, or something to that affect. Could lose 2-3 seconds, plus trying to get a good shot up with 1-3 seconds left. Some cases you could be looking at really like 8 seconds to get a shot up.

Which is probably enough time for some teams, but I could see it being a little rushed at times. While the quantity of shots/attempts will go up, gotta wonder what the quality will be like.

I'm glad they're going to work on the clear path rule.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast