Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 226 to 239 of 239
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    473
    This team is putting on an offensive display!!!!

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    473
    Just typical game from the Cards. Tons of errors...inconsistent scoring.....bad bullpen. What a choke job this week. 3 years in a row....way to go Cards and their brilliant front office.
    Last edited by scottyballgame; 09-28-2018 at 06:46 PM.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    52
    The Cards are what I thought they were. A .500 team. On the positives, they have a good foundation of young talent to build upon. They need to add a couple bats and defense.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,416
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesB View Post
    The Cards are what I thought they were. A .500 team. On the positives, they have a good foundation of young talent to build upon. They need to add a couple bats and defense.
    They won 88 games, they are not a .500 team lol

    The last two years, 88 wins would have put us into the wild card game, but this year, 11 teams won 90 games which is the most ever in a single season. 88 wins usually gets you in the playoffs, this year, it just didn't.

    They went 88-74, nothing to complain about there. That's a solid season, it's just too bad we fell short at the end.

    Our bats, defense, and rotation are all fine. Our bullpen is our only weakness.

    We had 5th best offense in the NL, 4th best defense, 3rd best rotation, 3rd worst bullpen

    clean up the bullpen, and we are a 95ish winning team. Our bullpen lost 28 games this year. Would be nice if we could get that number into the low 20's next year.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    They won 88 games, they are not a .500 team lol

    The last two years, 88 wins would have put us into the wild card game, but this year, 11 teams won 90 games which is the most ever in a single season. 88 wins usually gets you in the playoffs, this year, it just didn't.

    They went 88-74, nothing to complain about there. That's a solid season, it's just too bad we fell short at the end.

    Our bats, defense, and rotation are all fine. Our bullpen is our only weakness.

    We had 5th best offense in the NL, 4th best defense, 3rd best rotation, 3rd worst bullpen

    clean up the bullpen, and we are a 95ish winning team. Our bullpen lost 28 games this year. Would be nice if we could get that number into the low 20's next year.
    What are you basing your defense stat on? We had the most errors in the league this year..

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,416
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    What are you basing your defense stat on? We had the most errors in the league this year..
    UZR

    6th in Defensive Runs Saved
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ers=0&sort=8,d

    We made a lot of errors, but Wong, DeJong, and Bader are all considered elite defensive players who convert a ton of outs out of their zones, and those guys all play up the middle. Each guy led the NL in their respective positions in UZR

    Errors are going to happen, but that's not really a good defensive measure. Getting to balls out of your zone and converting them into outs is.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    52
    You are correct with the 88 wins, but wrong about everything else.
    August gave them the boost, but the rest of the season, they played like the .500 that they are.
    They were worst in the majors with 133 errors. Worst in the majors with a .978 fielding %.
    They were the worst defense in MLB.
    17th in the majors with a .249 BA.

    They need to add a bat. No reason to think Carp will hit 30+ HR's again next season.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    UZR

    6th in Defensive Runs Saved
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ers=0&sort=8,d

    We made a lot of errors, but Wong, DeJong, and Bader are all considered elite defensive players
    .
    I don't think that is true. I'm sure you can find some numbers that support you, but I did a quick search and Wong is considered in the bottom half by the rankings I had found.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,416
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesB View Post
    I don't think that is true. I'm sure you can find some numbers that support you, but I did a quick search and Wong is considered in the bottom half by the rankings I had found.
    In what rankings?

    He's leading NL second basemen in pretty much every category and is most likely going to win the gold glove this year.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,416
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesB View Post
    You are correct with the 88 wins, but wrong about everything else.
    August gave them the boost, but the rest of the season, they played like the .500 that they are.
    They were worst in the majors with 133 errors. Worst in the majors with a .978 fielding %.
    They were the worst defense in MLB.
    17th in the majors with a .249 BA.

    They need to add a bat. No reason to think Carp will hit 30+ HR's again next season.
    I see every reason to think Carpenter can and will hit 30 again next year.

    And fielding percentage and batting average are probably two of the worst stats used to evaluate anything.

    Yankees had a .249 batting average, and the Dodgers a .250

    Yankees scored the second most runs in all of baseball, and the Dodgers scored the most in the NL despite their ballpark being a pitchers park.

    Nationals only had 64 errors this year, and nobody is going to confuse them for a good defensive team (23rd in UZR)

    Kolten Wong had 9 errors this year, Daniel Murphy 6. Murphy is probably the worst fielding second basemen in baseball, Wong arguably the best.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    52
    Use whatever numbers you want, but those of us who have watched games this season know that this team played horrible defense. The number of errors and poor fielding % show the truth.

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54,416
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesB View Post
    Use whatever numbers you want, but those of us who have watched games this season know that this team played horrible defense. The number of errors and poor fielding % show the truth.
    I don't mean to be too argumentative, but that's such a primitive way of trying to measure this stuff.

    1. You don't and can't watch all 162 games of all 30 teams every year, and even if he you did, you couldn't objectively measure and compare players vs other players at the same position across the league, and do it objectively, and do it from a tv.

    2. Baseball info solutions actually does track every game though, and they do measure these things. And they use raw data to categorize it all.


    yes, the Cardinals fumbled the ball around a lot. But they also converted a ton of outs that average fielders wouldn't. This helped to suppress runs for our rotation all year long, making them look better and better.


    81.5% of balls that are hit into a fielders zone are converted into outs across the league. We converted 81.1%, which is just below league average, but not nearly as bad as say the White Sox, who were a MLB worst at 79.4%. This accounts for the teams errors throughout the season. We converted 1650 outs on the 2034 balls hit near a fielder in a zone they would have been expected to convert it into an out. The MLB best A's, had 85.3%

    And we converted an additional 545 outs on balls outside of a players zone this year. All in all, we ended up with 31 additional defensive runs saved, which was 7th best in all of baseball, 6th best in the NL. We had plenty of players converting on balls outside of their zones, and we were basically league average on balls inside our zone.

    Yes, there were some errors (too many in fact). But you are looking at 130 errors, when there are 3600 balls put into play for defensive opportunities. You have to ignore Bader, DeJong, and Wong as defensive studs to see us as a bad defensive team, and those guys are all up the middle and converting a ton of outs. That guys like Martinez are pretty well hidden considering how rarely he even has a ball hit his way (even though he was -11 DRS in only 1000 innings this year at corner positions). Harry Bader more than makes up for Martinez because he was a +19 DRS in only 800 innings this year. Between the two, we are +8 DRS.

    This is why we, as a full team, were actually pretty good defensively. Those three guys up the middle are elite.


    You can't judge defense for a team by how many errors they had. Those 133 errors led to 68 free runs on the year (52 was the average per team), but we also had an additional 31 runs saved by our defense (-4 is the average).

    In the end, our defense was +19 runs over the league average in converting hits to outs and subtracting for the unearned runs.

    That's 2 extra wins that our defense created over the average team this year.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I don't mean to be too argumentative, but that's such a primitive way of trying to measure this stuff.

    1. You don't and can't watch all 162 games of all 30 teams every year, and even if he you did, you couldn't objectively measure and compare players vs other players at the same position across the league, and do it objectively, and do it from a tv.

    2. Baseball info solutions actually does track every game though, and they do measure these things. And they use raw data to categorize it all.


    yes, the Cardinals fumbled the ball around a lot. But they also converted a ton of outs that average fielders wouldn't. This helped to suppress runs for our rotation all year long, making them look better and better.


    81.5% of balls that are hit into a fielders zone are converted into outs across the league. We converted 81.1%, which is just below league average, but not nearly as bad as say the White Sox, who were a MLB worst at 79.4%. This accounts for the teams errors throughout the season. We converted 1650 outs on the 2034 balls hit near a fielder in a zone they would have been expected to convert it into an out. The MLB best A's, had 85.3%

    And we converted an additional 545 outs on balls outside of a players zone this year. All in all, we ended up with 31 additional defensive runs saved, which was 7th best in all of baseball, 6th best in the NL. We had plenty of players converting on balls outside of their zones, and we were basically league average on balls inside our zone.

    Yes, there were some errors (too many in fact). But you are looking at 130 errors, when there are 3600 balls put into play for defensive opportunities. You have to ignore Bader, DeJong, and Wong as defensive studs to see us as a bad defensive team, and those guys are all up the middle and converting a ton of outs. That guys like Martinez are pretty well hidden considering how rarely he even has a ball hit his way (even though he was -11 DRS in only 1000 innings this year at corner positions). Harry Bader more than makes up for Martinez because he was a +19 DRS in only 800 innings this year. Between the two, we are +8 DRS.

    This is why we, as a full team, were actually pretty good defensively. Those three guys up the middle are elite.


    You can't judge defense for a team by how many errors they had. Those 133 errors led to 68 free runs on the year (52 was the average per team), but we also had an additional 31 runs saved by our defense (-4 is the average).

    In the end, our defense was +19 runs over the league average in converting hits to outs and subtracting for the unearned runs.

    That's 2 extra wins that our defense created over the average team this year.
    I disagree. The defense was bad this season. And you CAN tell allot by watching some games.
    Most errors in league. Worst fielding %. 9th worst in defense efficiency.
    You can believe what your numbers show you, but I'll believe my eyes.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesB View Post
    You are correct with the 88 wins, but wrong about everything else.
    August gave them the boost, but the rest of the season, they played like the .500 that they are.
    They were worst in the majors with 133 errors. Worst in the majors with a .978 fielding %.
    They were the worst defense in MLB.
    17th in the majors with a .249 BA.

    They need to add a bat. No reason to think Carp will hit 30+ HR's again next season.

    Glass half empty kind of guy I guess.... if you think Wong was in the bottom half defensively, you sir, need to find a new hobby. Wong is the huge favorite for the Gold Glove this year. Not only upper half, but best in baseball defensively.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •