Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 99 of 548 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 8217
  1. #1471
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,096
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Ok, how about the socialists in France did it a couple of years ago and they had to go back to the old taxes because it was a colossal failure.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonhart.../#37b658855df2

    Socialists always underestimate their ability to make things worse, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    "Just because socialism works in the Nordic countries, doesn't mean it will work here".

    also

    "Look, this didn't work in France, so it won't work here!".

    Like Walter said, we've had marginal tax rates on par or higher with what AOC is pushing for in this country's history...coinciding with some of our strongest periods of economic growth.
    Please see Manram's post.

    To be clear: can we compare things in America to Europe now or only when it proves your point? Because I have quite a few examples of successful European policies the US should enact I want to bring up, but something tells me what happens in Europe doesn't matter to you if you disagree with the point.

  2. #1472
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    75,158
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    The fact that people feel entitled to other people's money because the tax hike doesn't affect them is the definition of unfair.
    Counterpoint: the fact that people feel that people are entitled to billions of dollars while most of this country couldn't cover the cost of a basic health procedure is the definition of unfair.


    There are only billionaires because we let there be. These aren't fundamental rights. We've just let them exploit the working class and pile up their wealth because every politician has been bought by them. But we don't have to. No one needs a billion dollars. It's an insane amount of money that no individual ever needs. And defending their (fake) right to hoard unimaginable amounts of wealth above the basic rights of the poor and working class is disgusting. You're a sheep for the rich and nothing else. Always standing up for the people that least need your help. Truly brave
    HELLO

  3. #1473
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,547
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    "Just because socialism works in the Nordic countries, doesn't mean it will work here".

    also

    "Look, this didn't work in France, so it won't work here!".


    Like Walter said, we've had marginal tax rates on par or higher with what AOC is pushing for in this country's history...coinciding with some of our strongest periods of economic growth.
    The nordic countries don't actually have an "eat the rich" tax system. Sweden actually has a corporate tax that's in line with Donald Trump's tax cuts for evil businesses.

    These were prosperous nations prior to "socialism" and it works when large numbers of people don't rely on the government's welfare state. But of course, all that is changing.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  4. #1474
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,096
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    The nordic countries don't actually have an "eat the rich" tax system. Sweden actually has a corporate tax that's in line with Donald Trump's tax cuts for evil businesses.

    These were prosperous nations prior to "socialism" and it works when large numbers of people don't rely on the government's welfare state. But of course, all that is changing.
    Now we're talking about corporate tax rates? What are Sweden's personal tax rates?

    https://taxfoundation.org/how-scandi...ment-spending/

    Sweden's tax rate is 56.4% for all income over roughly $60,000.

    Is this a case where Sweden is awesome only with things you agree with but is doing badly because of things you disagree with or?

  5. #1475
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,547
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Now we're talking about corporate tax rates? What are Sweden's personal tax rates?

    https://taxfoundation.org/how-scandi...ment-spending/

    Sweden's tax rate is 56.4% for all income over roughly $60,000.

    Is this a case where Sweden is awesome only with things you agree with but is doing badly because of things you disagree with or?
    Yea, it ain't 70, lol. And it's something like 39 in Norway... A lot closer to current US tax policy than what is being proposed.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  6. #1476
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,096
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Yea, it ain't 70, lol. And it's something like 39 in Norway... A lot closer to current US tax policy than what is being proposed.
    So you're fine with a tax rate or 56.4% for the top income earners? What is the point of saying "it's not 70" if you also don't like the fact that it's 56%

  7. #1477
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,297
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    There's actually 10's of thousands of them.
    the number I listed was a joke, but cmon, are we really caring about the extreme? If that is the case, maybe we should be more concerned about the bottom 10%, because there are exponentially more of them.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  8. #1478
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,547
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    So you're fine with a tax rate or 56.4% for the top income earners? What is the point of saying "it's not 70" if you also don't like the fact that it's 56%
    No I pointed it out to show the myth that you guys were selling. You guys brought up the nordic countries. Even they don't have a top marginal bracket like the one Cortez is pushing. France did... briefly....
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  9. #1479
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    101,514
    How much of US fiscal policy are we willing to cut out if we don't want to raise taxes to pay for it? We're at the end of the Laffer Curve (which I don't dispute) that when you increase tax rates, you get more money.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  10. #1480
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,297
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Counterpoint: the fact that people feel that people are entitled to billions of dollars while most of this country couldn't cover the cost of a basic health procedure is the definition of unfair.


    There are only billionaires because we let there be. These aren't fundamental rights. We've just let them exploit the working class and pile up their wealth because every politician has been bought by them. But we don't have to. No one needs a billion dollars. It's an insane amount of money that no individual ever needs. And defending their (fake) right to hoard unimaginable amounts of wealth above the basic rights of the poor and working class is disgusting. You're a sheep for the rich and nothing else. Always standing up for the people that least need your help. Truly brave
    I have zero issue with someone becoming insanely wealthy. But we can't have such a high percentage of people broke as ****, and the majority of the country living paycheck to paycheck, and in a place where a serious medical condition will cripple them financially.

    There needs to be a happy medium. If someone views that medium as a "welfare state", so be it.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  11. #1481
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,096
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    No I pointed it out to show the myth that you guys were selling. You guys brought up the nordic countries. Even they don't have a top marginal bracket like the one Cortez is pushing. France did... briefly....
    But again, you're against the Nordic models too, so your complaint isn't with her number it's with the concept of high taxes on top earners at all.

    Or put another way, if she were for 55% for top earners, you'd hate it and you'd hate her. And you'd be spewing the same "it can't work" diatribe you are now. Except in the Nordic countries it is working. Or maybe it isn't. As I understand your point, Nordic countries are good places when talking about their corporate tax rates but they are not good places when talking about their private rates.

  12. #1482
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,547
    The nordic system is more of an everyone pays type system. Not "eat the rich".
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  13. #1483
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,297
    Nordic countries aren't a good comparison for the U.S. at all. The demographics, population number, and contribution levels aren't even comparable.

    Canada would make more sense.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  14. #1484
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I have zero issue with someone becoming insanely wealthy. But we can't have such a high percentage of people broke as ****, and the majority of the country living paycheck to paycheck, and in a place where a serious medical condition will cripple them financially.

    There needs to be a happy medium. If someone views that medium as a "welfare state", so be it.
    It's funny when people talk about the wealthy and how they pay workers like crap because that's the only way to make money. As if paying Wal-Mart workers slightly less would be the difference between the Walton's being the richest family on earth with a combined $160 Billion or Wal-Mart literally going bankrupt. I think there's a middle ground where the Walton's could still be worth billions and their workers get paid a little more.

  15. #1485
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Nordic countries aren't a good comparison for the U.S. at all. The demographics, population number, and contribution levels aren't even comparable.

    Canada would make more sense.
    The problem there is everyone who makes over the median pays a high rate in taxes. As much as Fingerbang is against an "eat the rich" type tax system, something tells me he's even more against a "everybody pays 50%" type system.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •