Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 98 of 515 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 7712
  1. #1456
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,396
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    When you think about it, Marginal tax rates are the most fair tax system possible. Every single person is being taxed the exact same on the exact same amount of money. Bill Gates and Joe Schmo are being taxed the exact rates on their income from 0-$10,000. Rupert Murdoch and The Jones' are getting taxed the exact same amount on their income from $100,000-$250,000.
    You left out the last part, lol.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  2. #1457
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,746
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    You left out the last part, lol.
    Yeah, and everyone in the entire United States who makes over $10 million will be taxed exactly the same. You, if you made over $10 million, would be taxed exactly as much as Bill Gates. How is that not fair?

  3. #1458
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,396
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yeah, and everyone in the entire United States who makes over $10 million will be taxed exactly the same. You, if you made over $10 million, would be taxed exactly as much as Bill Gates. How is that not fair?
    The fact that people feel entitled to other people's money because the tax hike doesn't affect them is the definition of unfair.

    Then you always get the history lesson about how taxes were higher in the 60s and 70s, etc. You know, because back in the day we had no poverty and everyone had "housing as a human right" and all this stuff Cortez is promising... Oh wait, we didn't.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  4. #1459
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,746
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    The fact that people feel entitled to other people's money because the tax hike doesn't affect them is the definition of unfair.

    Then you always get the history lesson about how taxes were higher in the 60s and 70s, etc. You know, because back in the day we had no poverty and everyone had "housing as a human right" and all this stuff Cortez is promising... Oh wait, we didn't.
    I'm in favor of tax hikes for my income bracket, so the idea I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is, is wrong. The fact you think that any taxes are people feeling entitled shows you basically have no understanding of government beyond HS 101, which is sad.

    As for your anecdote about higher taxes in the 60's and 70's, yes because if it doesn't eradicate all poverty then it's the same as having mass poverty right? That's how it works. Absolutes? I guess you can no longer ever talk about Trump's lowering of unemployment because if the unemployment rate isn't 0% then it's the same as if it were at 70%.

    Man, arguing in empty absolutes is low, even for you.

  5. #1460
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74,801
    Eye Patch Politician wants to debate AOC now too. It makes sense. Her message is getting out there. It's resonating. The other side wants in on that, so what better way to get your message out that a public debate? Think Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham. Or any union organizer vs. employer.

    She's be foolish to accept, and she won't. No reason to give him the platform he wants...that perhaps he's jealous he's not getting. Amplifying people like him would be idiotic, even thought these guys continually show their ***** on Twitter when they come at her.
    HELLO

  6. #1461
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,746
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Eye Patch Politician wants to debate AOC now too. It makes sense. Her message is getting out there. It's resonating. The other side wants in on that, so what better way to get your message out that a public debate? Think Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham. Or any union organizer vs. employer.

    She's be foolish to accept, and she won't. No reason to give him the platform he wants...that perhaps he's jealous he's not getting. Amplifying people like him would be idiotic, even thought these guys continually show their ***** on Twitter when they come at her.
    I don't know anything about "eye patch guy's" policy views, but from what I've seen of him I like him.

  7. #1462
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74,801
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I don't know anything about "eye patch guy's" policy views, but from what I've seen of him I like him.
    Why? Just curious.

    I have more respect for him than most of the ghouls in congress who have sold out for that sweet sweet special interests money, especially in his party. I respect him for his service. He seems less destructive than the old wigs in his Party who want to cannibalize the middle and low classes. And he talks about that.

    But on the issues little separates him from the rest, despite what he says. He's an absolute hawk and and is obsessed with Islam (I won't call him an Islamaphobe...I don't wanna trigger anyone). He's right in line with Trump on immigration and the wall, spewing all the same talking points during his campaign. His economic and tax beliefs are again right smack dab in the Republican mainstream. He's an absolute corporatist and espouses the same trickle down nonsense the rest of them believe, and he preaches austerity. He's spoken out strongly on most entitlements. He's a 2A nut. He's a pro-life nut. He's a religious liberty nut. He's a big charter school guy. He cries about all that safe space, PC, college campus stuff. Healthcare-wise he's a socialized medicare scaremonger. He's better than most of his peers on climate change (talk about low bars), but still believes we need to drill more.

    I don't know man. He mostly sounds the same. He just is more willing to talk about the working class, and doesn't come across as bought-and-paid like all his neanderthalic peers.
    HELLO

  8. #1463
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,746
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Why? Just curious.

    I have more respect for him than most of the ghouls in congress who have sold out for that sweet sweet special interests money, especially in his party. I respect him for his service. He seems less destructive than the old wigs in his Party who want to cannibalize the middle and low classes. And he talks about that.

    But on the issues little separates him from the rest, despite what he says. He's an absolute hawk and and is obsessed with Islam (I won't call him an Islamaphobe...I don't wanna trigger anyone). He's right in line with Trump on immigration and the wall, spewing all the same talking points during his campaign. His economic and tax beliefs are again right smack dab in the Republican mainstream. He's an absolute corporatist and espouses the same trickle down nonsense the rest of them believe, and he preaches austerity. He's spoken out strongly on most entitlements. He's a 2A nut. He's a pro-life nut. He's a religious liberty nut. He's a big charter school guy. He cries about all that safe space, PC, college campus stuff. Healthcare-wise he's a socialized medicare scaremonger. He's better than most of his peers on climate change (talk about low bars), but still believes we need to drill more.

    I don't know man. He mostly sounds the same. He just is more willing to talk about the working class, and doesn't come across as bought-and-paid like all his neanderthalic peers.
    Because he had a very measured and mature response to the SNL controversy and he went on the show and was able to make fun of himself, make light of the situation and to use it as a teaching moment to try and bring people together. As I said, I know nothing of his politics, so yeah seems like based on what you said I disagree with basically most of his political beliefs, but as a person he seems respectable.

  9. #1464
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74,801
    SNL really handed the man a completely unnecessary and massively huge PR boost. All because of a dumb harmless joke directed at a guy who rails on "PC bad, safe space bad, FREE SPEECH!" in the same ways all of our most beloved far-right grifters like diaper boy Charlie Kirk.

    He handled it well, I guess, but it was always a massively overblown and manufactured controversy. He just merely wasn't a psycho about a dumb joke.
    HELLO

  10. #1465
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,290
    all of this reminds me of when you mess with Operators pay. Even if it means they come out better, there is always such pushback when it comes to messing with peoples money. Mostly, it's just a misunderstanding of how it works, or its one guy (or party in this case) that riles up the whole force with false logic.

    The only people heavily affected by any of this make more money than any of us could dream about, so lighten up.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  11. #1466
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,290
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    The fact that people feel entitled to other people's money because the tax hike doesn't affect them is the definition of unfair.

    Then you always get the history lesson about how taxes were higher in the 60s and 70s, etc. You know, because back in the day we had no poverty and everyone had "housing as a human right" and all this stuff Cortez is promising... Oh wait, we didn't.
    are you really sticking up for the poor guys who make in excess of $10,000,000 a year? I am sure all 350 of them are happy you got their back..

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  12. #1467
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,396
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I'm in favor of tax hikes for my income bracket, so the idea I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is, is wrong. The fact you think that any taxes are people feeling entitled shows you basically have no understanding of government beyond HS 101, which is sad.

    As for your anecdote about higher taxes in the 60's and 70's, yes because if it doesn't eradicate all poverty then it's the same as having mass poverty right? That's how it works. Absolutes? I guess you can no longer ever talk about Trump's lowering of unemployment because if the unemployment rate isn't 0% then it's the same as if it were at 70%.

    Man, arguing in empty absolutes is low, even for you.
    Ok, how about the socialists in France did it a couple of years ago and they had to go back to the old taxes because it was a colossal failure.

    France has said goodbye to its infamous 75% income tax on individuals earning more than 1 million euros this past weekend, returning to a top marginal income tax rate of 45%. The change, effective February 1, is a blow to the French Socialist party’s signature redistribution measure, the same remedy supported by popular French economist Thomas Piketty who predicted that “lots of other countries will inevitably follow this route.” To be precise, Piketty and his frequent co-author Emmanuel Saez recently argued for an even higher 80% levy on high earner income in an op-ed for The Guardian.

    Most memorably, the French supertax famously compelled French actor Gerard Depardieu to become a Russian citizen and relocate to Moscow for tax reasons. Notwithstanding, this trend of emigration persisted at the macro level as an estimated 2.5 million French citizens now live abroad in the U.K., Belgium and other countries sporting more competitive income tax rates.

    As a result of a reduced labor supply and discouraged investment in France following the 75% top marginal income tax rate announced in September 2012, French revenues for 2013 came in at only 16 billion euros, a 14 billion euro shortfall below the French government’s expected 30 billion in tax collections.

    Compared to initial estimates from the French government using models which ignore the Laffer Curve’s “slippery slope,” tax revenues from corporate taxes, individual income tax, and value-added tax (VAT) were down by 6.4 billion, 4.9 billion, and 5 billion euros respectively.

    In 2014, the French economy continued its stagnation as the economy has failed to post a single quarter of annualized GDP growth above 0.8% since Hollande took office in 2012 and implemented his 75% supertax shortly after. France’s unemployment rate still sits around 10%. The French government also conceded that the country will most likely fail to meet its deficit target of 3.8% of GDP in 2014 and may not do so until 2017 with tax revenues projected to continue their decline.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonhart.../#37b658855df2

    Socialists always underestimate their ability to make things worse, lol.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  13. #1468
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5,124
    Who cares about France? America has done it in the past with no issues.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

    -JFK


  14. #1469
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    74,801
    "Just because socialism works in the Nordic countries, doesn't mean it will work here".

    also

    "Look, this didn't work in France, so it won't work here!".


    Like Walter said, we've had marginal tax rates on par or higher with what AOC is pushing for in this country's history...coinciding with some of our strongest periods of economic growth.
    HELLO

  15. #1470
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    16,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    are you really sticking up for the poor guys who make in excess of $10,000,000 a year? I am sure all 350 of them are happy you got their back..
    There's actually 10's of thousands of them.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •