Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 610 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    tenure exists to protect scholarly work. If you find something through your research or scholarship that is an unpopular idea they can't **** can for it. Tenure is about the protection of expression, not simply a measure to protect jobs. You can still be fired from a University job if you don't do your job.
    Dream on. Most of these professors and high school teachers rarely do any memorable scholarly work.

You may be right about why tenure came to be, I can certainly see that, but now it's an excuse to keep their jobs. no matter what they do

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The problem is on the flip side the job market itself. Ever increasingly you need degrees for jobs you never needed them for before. Even just being a secretary at some places require a degree. One side needs to break.

The other part of the issue is the “better life than me”. Factory workers still want their jobs, but don’t want their kids doing it. So they tell their kids to go to college. That kid goes to college and how they needed loans because Mom didn’t work and Dad didn’t make enough.
    Who still has secretaries other than the C Suite?

Again... the idea that college should be provided for ALL is garbage... Less than 25% of the population should be going to college if the test is Cost=Benefit

I have no issue with merit based funding but to act like it is a god given right with no standards is ridiculous.

Anyway, you do what you have to do if something is important to you no matter the cost.

I play poker with a guy who is a pharmacist... he had $300k in student loans at one point... you know what he did to pay it off? worked two jobs … one as a retail pharmacist and one in a hospital... he worked 75 hours a week for 5 years to pay off those loans and now only works the one job. Its a function of priorities

But here’s my thing:
    Why should he have to work 2 jobs because he decided he wanted a better life? That’s absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post

Again... the idea that college should be provided for ALL is garbage... Less than 25% of the population should be going to college if the test is Cost=Benefit

I have no issue with merit based funding but to act like it is a god given right with no standards is ridiculous.

Anyway, you do what you have to do if something is important to you no matter the cost.

I play poker with a guy who is a pharmacist... he had $300k in student loans at one point... you know what he did to pay it off? worked two jobs … one as a retail pharmacist and one in a hospital... he worked 75 hours a week for 5 years to pay off those loans and now only works the one job. Its a function of priorities
    This response should be framed and hung on the wall.

But here’s my thing:
    Why should he have to work 2 jobs because he decided he wanted a better life? That’s absurd.
    Not to the guy who worked the two jobs and now has a better life.

And I’m not even a college for all because what I said got taken wrong.

If you get a degree and use it for public benefit, there should be a benefit on the loans for doing so. Like no interest paid, only the principal.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Dream on. Most of these professors and high school teachers rarely do any memorable scholarly work.

You may be right about why tenure came to be, I can certainly see that, but now it's an excuse to keep their jobs. no matter what they do
    High school... why are we talking about high school. Of course they don't they are high school teachers.

Who do you think brings you almost all the science that exists? Your ignorance on this topic is astounding.
    Last edited by flips333; 08-10-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

And I’m not even a college for all because what I said got taken wrong.

If you get a degree and use it for public benefit, there should be a benefit on the loans for doing so. Like no interest paid, only the principal.
    The benefit of working for the public is…

usually better pay

Better Benefits

Retirement plan

Job security

It's why everyone wants these jobs.

I had a pretty good graphic designer leave my company to run a copy machine in the county sheriff's department. Went from a "creative" to a "button pusher" for slightly more money, union membership (can't get fired) and a great benefit package.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    High school... why are we talking about high school. Of course they don't they are high school teachers.

Who do you think brings you almost all the science that exists? Your ignorance on this topic is astounding.
    High school teachers also get tenure.

Your thought process on this topic is naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post

Because my one friend had it tough EVERYBODY should have it tough!

When you say it's a function of priorities, that holds true for our government as well. The Government could prioritize making college more affordable so your friend didn't have to go $300K into debt or work 2 jobs and 75 hours a week for 5 years.
    Last edited by valade16; 08-10-2018 at 01:27 PM.

High school teachers also get tenure.

Your thought process on this topic is naive.
    You referred to professors... not High school teachers. I know **** all about tenure in primary schools. but that doesn't relate to why tenure exists in colleges.

naive is showing a lack of experience I assure you I understand tenure in colleges and the science it helps create.

The benefit of working for the public is…

usually better pay

Better Benefits

Retirement plan

Job security

It's why everyone wants these jobs.

I had a pretty good graphic designer leave my company to run a copy machine in the county sheriff's department. Went from a "creative" to a "button pusher" for slightly more money, union membership (can't get fired) and a great benefit package.
    Wrong on all 4 accounts.

When I worked in a township office I made $45k a year, if I went into the private sector I could have started at $75K a year.
    My benefits, no vision, no dental, $100 co-pay, $50,000 deductible. Woo benefits.
    Retirement plan....meh. Local government retirement means pension.
    Job Security? Are you kidding? My position was up for public vote every 2 years if they still wanted the position.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Because my one friend had it tough EVERYBODY should have it tough!

When you say it's a function of priorities, that holds true for our government as well. The Government could prioritize making college more affordable so your friend didn't have to go $300K into debt or work 2 jobs and 75 hours a week for 5 years.
    Exactly. And what's funny is the worst offenders are state schools.

who cares
    Last edited by flips333; 08-10-2018 at 01:35 PM.

deleted

Page 7 of 610 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast