Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 610 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    so if someone has a "desire" to go to college it should be free?
    Corporations have no problem making it a near mandatory condition of their employment for free. So yea, so long as you meet the educational requirements I do. I wouldn't even be totally opposed towards subsidization towards the in demand fields.

I think it should be at least significantly paid by corporations as a tax for every job they list as requiring a degree. Make a choice, either you need the position to have a degree or not.
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    Corporations have no problem making it a near mandatory condition of their employment for free. So yea, so long as you meet the educational requirements I do. I wouldn't even be totally opposed towards subsidization towards the in demand fields.

I think it should be at least significantly paid by corporations as a tax for every job they list as requiring a degree. Make a choice, either you need the position to have a degree or not.
    do you understand what has happened with admittance standards to colleges over the last 25 years? Not the elite colleges but the bottom feeders?

I guess you think College is for everyone... and why not if it is free... right?

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Come on now. Think it through a little.

Other than air, nothing is free.

Anything that is "public" is paid for by the public. That's you. Do you own a house? Do you pay sales tax? Do you have a legitimate job? Do you buy anything?

Nothing is free.

I'll go along with free college when…

Professors are willing to work for minimum wage and are not protected by tenure. Because, you know, they're in it for the kids, the joy pf teaching. Not the money. Not gonna happen.

Football and basketball coaches will work for a reasonable salary because "they just love of the sport." Not gonna happen. (Fun fact…in 40 of the 50 states, the highest paid "public" employee is a coach. Think about that.)

Colleges stop coming up with reasons to build the next great research facility (that rarely produces anything.)

Colleges come up with ways of getting the kids through in less time and the kids push to get through in that shorter time. It's rarely 4 years and the kids don't mind…they like prolonging the party.

Colleges get reasonable with their expenses…why are books still so expensive if everything can be done electronically.

Kids become reasonable with their expectations. There are tons of kids in college that have no business being there. Some would be better off in trade schools for a much shorter time and doing manual (GASP!!!) trade work. Parents should not be shocked if little Johnny wants to be a plumber instead of a lawyer.

Bottom line,, freee college is just absurd.
    This is stupid you clearly don't understand what professors do, or why tenure exists.
    Last edited by flips333; 08-10-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Thoughts on her? I don’t think she’s ready for prime time and doesn’t really seem that smart listening to her.

Also accused Ben Shapiro of this:

https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/statu...137827328?s=21

Shapiro asked her for a debate and offered 10k towards her charity to debate him
    Ben Shapiro desperately trying to cling to fame by using her celebrity. Ben Shapiro's act got old, and he knows it.

do you understand what has happened with admittance standards to colleges over the last 25 years? Not the elite colleges but the bottom feeders?

I guess you think College is for everyone... and why not if it is free... right?
    That's because it is way too much of a big business. I've discussed this with Hawkeye and some of the things that should be done to reduce those costs.

For one the NCAA golden ticket sports should be subsidizing college costs. And not acting as a separate side big business. Things should be built up if only it drives towards further revenue. They don't need all the golden palaces they train in and coaches should have nowhere near the salaries that they do. Especially when they still hide behind the guise of it being amateur sports.

And no, I've never once believed that college is for everyone. But much like K-12, it should not cost kids their future to go through the system and get a good education. Especially with rising college costs and stagnating wages as they are faced with the prospect of being undercut by immigrants being imported who aren't saddled with the same debt they are for their degrees.
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Ben Shapiro desperately trying to cling to fame by using her celebrity. Ben Shapiro's act got old, and he knows it.
    Yea, TV personalities do it all the time. The invite people on to their show to debate them as if that wouldn't be absolute gold for them.

Ben Shapiro would be making out farrrrrrrr ahead than the 10k he would donate to her charity. It's a win-win for them to even just propose these sort of things. It's pure marketing plain and simple. And I have no problem with plenty of well-meaning discussion and debates.
    Yankees Farm System

There should be loan forgiveness, at least for the equivalent amount of tuition and books. Just as there should be free college. We shouldn't be driving people into insane debt that cripples them for decades just so they can be a functioning part of this society.
    This. And it doesn’t even have to be full forgiveness. Start with interest forgiveness. My loan debt is 60% interest.

And I saw in his about government, but what about doctors. I left off bus drivers because most places pay for your CDL; and you don’t need a college degree for it. But for doctors: X amount of time on a program like Doctors Without Boarders, high risk area ERs, low income free clinics.

And look I get it, not everyone will want to work in areas like that. And that kinda stuff. And that’s fine. But let’s start with a path where I don’t need to be in long term crippling debt to pay for school.

And personal background: when I went to school my mom was an orderly in a hospital going to night school, my dad was on disability social security. Our household income was under $75k a year including me income. I needed to borrow to afford any education.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    This is stupid you clearly don't understand what professors do, or why tenure exists.
    Some are excellent; some are not. Most are probably average.

And you're right, I don't understand why tenure exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    she is hot. But I have a weakness for latinas. If I were Superman, and went to Columbia to save the day, everyone would die.
    Amen brother, I don't know what it is about Columbian girls (other than being extremely hot) but every time I have love at first sight with a Latina she turns out to be Columbian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Amen brother, I don't know what it is about Columbian girls (other than being extremely hot) but every time I have love at first sight with a Latina she turns out to be Columbian.
    Colombian*

Don't make that mistake around them. They do not like it. lol
    Yankees Farm System

That's because it is way too much of a big business. I've discussed this with Hawkeye and some of the things that should be done to reduce those costs.

For one the NCAA golden ticket sports should be subsidizing college costs. And not acting as a separate side big business. Things should be built up if only it drives towards further revenue. They don't need all the golden palaces they train in and coaches should have nowhere near the salaries that they do. Especially when they still hide behind the guise of it being amateur sports.

And no, I've never once believed that college is for everyone. But much like K-12, it should not cost kids their future to go through the system and get a good education. Especially with rising college costs and stagnating wages as they are faced with the prospect of being undercut by immigrants being imported who aren't saddled with the same debt they are for their degrees.
    That NCAA thing only goes so far and only affects a small portion of schools. I would love a system where you have to earn your way in, but then it's paid for. Your GPA falls bellow a 2. See ya. Wouldn't want to be ya.

This would also curb one of the biggest problems in college, grade inflation.

so you are going to introduce price controls on tuition? You do understand that the cost increases in recent years are supply and demand driven because of the student loan industry. Right? Not because businesses are looking for people with womens studies degrees

There are way to many people going to college getting worthless degrees as is … the last thing we need is more people taking a 4 year vacation and loading up on debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Some are excellent; some are not. Most are probably average.

And you're right, I don't understand why tenure exists.
    tenure exists to protect scholarly work. If you find something through your research or scholarship that is an unpopular idea they can't **** can for it. Tenure is about the protection of expression, not simply a measure to protect jobs. You can still be fired from a University job if you don't do your job.

so you are going to introduce price controls on tuition? You do understand that the cost increases in recent years are supply and demand driven because of the student loan industry. Right? Not because businesses are looking for people with womens studies degrees

There are way to many people going to college getting worthless degrees as is … the last thing we need is more people taking a 4 year vacation and loading up on debt.
    The problem is on the flip side the job market itself. Ever increasingly you need degrees for jobs you never needed them for before. Even just being a secretary at some places require a degree. One side needs to break.

The other part of the issue is the “better life than me”. Factory workers still want their jobs, but don’t want their kids doing it. So they tell their kids to go to college. That kid goes to college and how they needed loans because Mom didn’t work and Dad didn’t make enough.

Quote Originally Posted by send him to View Post
    This. And it doesn’t even have to be full forgiveness. Start with interest forgiveness. My loan debt is 60% interest.

And I saw in his about government, but what about doctors. I left off bus drivers because most places pay for your CDL; and you don’t need a college degree for it. But for doctors: X amount of time on a program like Doctors Without Boarders, high risk area ERs, low income free clinics.

And look I get it, not everyone will want to work in areas like that. And that kinda stuff. And that’s fine. But let’s start with a path where I don’t need to be in long term crippling debt to pay for school.

And personal background: when I went to school my mom was an orderly in a hospital going to night school, my dad was on disability social security. Our household income was under $75k a year including me income. I needed to borrow to afford any education.
    You are cherry picking.

Drivers…I'm referring to municipal bus drivers, subway drivers, school bus drivers etc. I would think you could see that,

Point is…there should be no student loan forgiveness at all and certainly not loan forgiveness just for certain segments such as government and municipal workers.

For another scenario, and one that makes sense consider this.

I had full tuition paid for for both undergraduate work and graduate school. I spent several years in the military and received payment under the GI bill. I also work full time for a large banking firm and, after I showed promise and commitment to the company, I was given educational benefits through the firm. Not available to all employees, but I showed value. Bottom line, I earned the tuition reimbursement that I received from two places.

Maybe some people should consider the military. Maybe big business should be encouraged to pay for education. It would be a great way to motivate quality employees. Something would have to be worked out to prevent an employee from just graduating and leaving (maybe guarantee 3-5 years after graduating or you have to pay something back.) This would also work for Trade type jobs…you have a good ditch digger, send him to tractor school (something along these lines).

What we have now is kids going to college, running up debt and coming out looking for jobs that either do not exist or they are unqualified for.

There must be a better way,

Page 6 of 610 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast