Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 58 of 610 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158558 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    sure it does. So does living in NYC haha. In fact, to move, it costs you about 15 days of rent for an average apartment in NYC.

Life is all about choices. You would recoup the moving costs within a few months by moving somewhere around the national average in living expenses.

I am not even sure why you are going after this tangent. Cortez want's higher pay for NY'ers. Got it. That will cause things to become even more expensive than they already are, or it will create a squeeze in the labor market and jobs will be lost. Small businesses are the victims of costs in NYC everyday.

If you want to live in a city like NYC, you either need money or you live off nothing. Is what it is.
    Because your saying "just move if it's too expensive". It's also expensive to move if your poor. Single mom working two jobs already can barely afford rent and you think it's going to be easy to just pack up and move to a different city/state?

Life isn't always about "choices". Most people, I'm gunna guess, didn't get to choose to live there. Most people can't afford to just choose where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    What does the Spanish last name have to do with it?
    Because her name isn't Amy McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Because your saying "just move if it's too expensive". It's also expensive to move if your poor. Single mom working two jobs already can barely afford rent and you think it's going to be easy to just pack up and move to a different city/state?

Life isn't always about "choices". Most people, I'm gunna guess, didn't get to choose to live there. Most people can't afford to just choose where they live.
    yes, they can. it's not easy many times, but yes, you can choose where you live.

The people you are talking about don't even know better anyways. They are part of the nasty cycle of poverty unfortunately. But yes, they can move as well, even though it will likely never cross their mind.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    So?

Of course, Ocasio-Cortez made campaign promises that she can't deliver.

Can you imagine a campaign where some candidate only offered deliverable promises?

Americans love to be deceived. In fact, we are eager to be deceived. I would say it is a national passion.

But his point was that she would not get re-elected because someone else would come up with more outlandish claims (maybe something idiotic like making america great again). We do have limits to our gullibility. Oh, wait. We don;t do we?
    so nothing. That was her campaign, to make outlandish promises.

We know no boundries, clearly. We have Donald fking Trump as our President. We can be dupped into anything.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Just think about her and Nauret in a cat fight.

As for her policy ideas, your right that her chances of enacting all the progressive reforms are slim. I like her passion though and that fact she is a polarizing figure which is kinda needed with the media whore that's in the oval office.
    a young, inexperienced liberal will clearly have ideas too big to attain, that isn't new. While I kind of laugh at the things she says, I am interested to see what she develops into.

yes, they can. it's not easy many times, but yes, you can choose where you live.

The people you are talking about don't even know better anyways. They are part of the nasty cycle of poverty unfortunately. But yes, they can move as well, even though it will likely never cross their mind.
    I'm not sure what even know better means I'm sure they're capable of thinking about moving. Saying poor people should just move is a rather ignorant argument to make. AOC wants to make her district more affordable to live. She actually wants to represent her district.

AOC is going to pay her interns and staffers at least $15 an hour and called out Republicans for their "Fiscal responsibility" policies that keep DC interns from being paid. While that may be true, turns out 8% of Republican House representatives pay their interns and only 3.6% of Democrats do. For the Senate I think it was 51% of Republicans and 31% of Democrats.

While I'd like to see legislation that allows for these interns to be paid, as unpaid internships generally benefit those whose families have a lot of money, in the short term, Democrats need to put their money where their mouth is and start paying their interns.

One termer ? Ha!

I lived in that district. Just having the name Cortez will lock it up for life. Nevermind the fact that she operates old school. Knocks on doors in the district, has conversations with GOPers as well as Dems, focuses on policies that her constituents want.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    I'm not sure what even know better means I'm sure they're capable of thinking about moving. Saying poor people should just move is a rather ignorant argument to make. AOC wants to make her district more affordable to live. She actually wants to represent her district.
    never said they SHOULD move. I said, if you can't afford to live where you are, then move. If they want to make sacrifices like living in a **** hole, having 3 jobs, or having 4 roomates, then more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    One termer ? Ha!

I lived in that district. Just having the name Cortez will lock it up for life. Nevermind the fact that she operates old school. Knocks on doors in the district, has conversations with GOPers as well as Dems, focuses on policies that her constituents want.
    fair point...

he is kinda right though. Cortez is all about making claims that she isn't going to be able to get done. Sounds easy to tell everyone "free everything", and "liveable wage", etc. For Cortez, she now needs to figure out a happy medium for all the smack talking she claims she wants done.

I mean, I want what she is selling, but I am also not stupid enough to think she can get it done. Not without a lot more money going in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    So?

Of course, Ocasio-Cortez made campaign promises that she can't deliver.

Can you imagine a campaign where some candidate only offered deliverable promises?

Americans love to be deceived. In fact, we are eager to be deceived. I would say it is a national passion.

But his point was that she would not get re-elected because someone else would come up with more outlandish claims (maybe something idiotic like making america great again). We do have limits to our gullibility. Oh, wait. We don;t do we?
    Here's the difference with this kid…

She actually believes she can do all of what she says she can. She believes this stuff. She's like the election of the high school student council. Promise all these changes, everyone goes nuts and votes for you and nothing changes.

Seasoned politicians just make promises they know they can't keep and find a way to blame the other party. The kid is worse than they are.

he is kinda right though. Cortez is all about making claims that she isn't going to be able to get done. Sounds easy to tell everyone "free everything", and "liveable wage", etc. For Cortez, she now needs to figure out a happy medium for all the smack talking she claims she wants done.

I mean, I want what she is selling, but I am also not stupid enough to think she can get it done. Not without a lot more money going in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Because her name isn't Amy McGrath
    So are you saying that Spanish people will vote only for someone with a Spanish name.

Gee, what an informed electorate,

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    AOC is going to pay her interns and staffers at least $15 an hour and called out Republicans for their "Fiscal responsibility" policies that keep DC interns from being paid. While that may be true, turns out 8% of Republican House representatives pay their interns and only 3.6% of Democrats do. For the Senate I think it was 51% of Republicans and 31% of Democrats.

While I'd like to see legislation that allows for these interns to be paid, as unpaid internships generally benefit those whose families have a lot of money, in the short term, Democrats need to put their money where their mouth is and start paying their interns.
    Who actually pays these people??

I never really thought about it.

Who actually pays these people??

I never really thought about it.
    I imagine taxpayers, because wouldn't it come out of their staff budget?

So are you saying that Spanish people will vote only for someone with a Spanish name.

Gee, what an informed electorate,
    You're quoting is all weird Sluggo, it's picking up posts you aren't trying to quote I think.

Anyways, yeah dude, that is beyond common. Especially in cities where neighborhoods are very dominated by one race. Hell look at the black results when Obama ran. Blacks usually voted democrat, but it went to a ridiculous percentage the moment they had a candidate with their skin color. Nothing right or wrong about it to be honest.