Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 53 of 610 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 9139
  1. #781
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    81,701
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    That would be an amazing option to offer people. I know different things root people but sometimes like with all problems you have to bite the bullet and change something significant to make things better. I remember a job I had in my 20s. Me and this girl lived together at the time in one of cheaper apartments you could find in a decent blue collar neighborhood in NJ. One of my co-workers was a single Mom with a school aged kid who lived in Patterson. What she paid in rent she could gotten a similar place in my neighborhood. My neighborhood nicer, had a lot better school, was closer to our work etc. I remember thinking why doesn't this lady move? We actually talked about it and she agreed it would be better for her but she was just comfortable. Luckily when I could only afford to live in a bad neighborhood and didn't have transportation I was a young kid with little responsibility. no attachments, and felt living next to whore house was fun.
    as someone who moved a lot growing up, and has traveled, to me it's so foreign to stay in a single area for 80 years. But man, there are a LOT of people that do that. Getting out of your comfort zone after a certain amount of time is scary for a lot of people.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  2. #782
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    10,988
    Ms. Ocasio-Cortez wrote:

    “Asking to be considered a refugee & applying for status isn’t a crime.
    It wasn’t for Jewish families fleeing Germany.”

    From 1933-1941 — before (and even after) the declaration of war — Jewish families who were fleeing Germany were driven away by systematic violence and severe discrimination, but not genocide per se — the shoa occurring largely after the borders closed and targeting Jews throughout Europe, not just those in Germany.

    “Several factors determined the ebb and flow of emigration of Jews from Germany. These included the degree of pressure placed on the Jewish community in Germany and the willingness of other countries to admit Jewish immigrants. However, in the face of increasing legal repression and physical violence, many Jews fled Germany. Until October 1941, German policy officially encouraged Jewish emigration. Gradually, however, the Nazis sought to deprive Jews fleeing Germany of their property by levying an increasingly heavy emigration tax and by restricting the amount of money that could be transferred abroad from German banks.”

    https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...gees-1933-1939

  3. #783
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,586
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Honestly if you want to have every prisoner coming out of every prison have a chance at not going back. You would give them a job and subsidized housing in a place far from their usual home.
    So people who work three jobs barely making it gets no help but the guy in trouble ends up getting subsidized housing and a job?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #784
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    20,848
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I have regularly heard Conservatives, when people complain about there being a lack of opportunities where they live, suggest "Why don't you just move." Completely ignoring the poverty of the people.

    Now when people are fleeing from violence you have "you're just fleeing poverty."

    You know what I say:¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    When those conservatives say that they're pretty clearly talking about inter-country migration.

    In regards to these migrants, they're saying, "your just fleeing poverty" because other people are trying to paint them as refugees....which they're not.
    Most are young men looking for work. That's it. There is nothing immoral or wrong with that, however, that doesn't make them refugees.

  5. #785
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    20,848
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    So it's not the same... except the violence part. Brilliant!

    Are you saying that 300,000 bananas is not remotely similar to 300 bananas?

    Do you know what tangential means?

    Also how can something be tangentially similar and also NOT REMOTELY similar? You should stop hitting yourself.
    WHO'S DOING THE VIOLENCE? That's the key issue, when it's the government doing it, it's far more effective and devastating because they have the power of the state, and tons of resources.

    When it's just gang war far it sucks.

    That's like comparing survivors of domestic abuse or bullying to survivors of genocide. Sure it's all violence, but there are some massive differences.

  6. #786
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    20,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Fearing for your and your family's life is fearing for your and your family's life. Who cares if it's nazis or those MS-13s we all fear so much?
    Who's doing it is massively important. One is an international crisis because the most powerful organization in the country is doing it. (The government) The other is just ******. They're not remotely the same thing.

  7. #787
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    68,815

    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    So people who work three jobs barely making it gets no help but the guy in trouble ends up getting subsidized housing and a job?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also hate it when other people get nice things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  8. #788
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    20,848
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    If we can’t even agree on basic stuff, like poverty and lack of opportunity leading to organized murder of people; then this is completely useless.
    I can agree that poverty and lack of opportunity lead to crime which leads to organized crime, which can lead to murder (though usually not on the scale of genocide).
    But poverty and lack of opportunity have never been a causal factor in state organized and sponsored eradication of minority groups. There is no history of that.

  9. #789
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    20,848
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Something doesn't have to happen every time for it to be the cause. There are plenty of folks who smoke (a majority in fact) who do not develop cancer. Doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause cancer. (Fun Fact: Alcohol is a known certain carcinogen as well... Come to think of it that is the opposite of a fun fact.)

    Open a history book and read how the NAZI's came to power, Why the turk's murdered the Armenians, The Rwandan genocide for how poverty is used to justify and incite mas murder.

    Look at any major city to how poverty leads to violence.
    It doesn't happen ANY of the time. It's never been a reason for why countries engage in genocide. Sure poor countries like Rwanda have had genocide, but poverty and general lack of opportunity weren't the over riding or even contributing causes. Otherwise you would see it happen much more frequently in poor countries.


    China is committing a genocide against religious minorities RIGHT NOW. And yet Poverty and lack of Opportunity aren't why it's happening.

  10. #790
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Did is Say it was the exact same thing? I took issue with people saying it's in no way similar. Someone trying to kill you has similarities with someone trying to kill you no matter who that someone is.

    Someone trying to kill you with an AK47 is different from someone trying to kill you with a sledgehammer, The AK 47 is way more effective, but in both cases you should probably run.
    It's similar on the basis of both causing fear but one has an agenda and the other is just nonsensical crime in comparison. Look at what we did to Vietnam. Even today that is still causing casualties. You really can't compare these events to gang-affiliated violence. One has a large scale impact while the other pales in comparison. Responding to someone who said violence is violence. Someone with a knife scares me more than someone who is trying to punch me. I can fight someone who is trying to punch me. I am not fighting anyone who has a knife.

  11. #791
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    It doesn't happen ANY of the time. It's never been a reason for why countries engage in genocide. Sure poor countries like Rwanda have had genocide, but poverty and general lack of opportunity weren't the over riding or even contributing causes. Otherwise you would see it happen much more frequently in poor countries.


    China is committing a genocide against religious minorities RIGHT NOW. And yet Poverty and lack of Opportunity aren't why it's happening.
    OK... If you say so you can believe that. Personally, I will accept the history books rather that rando on the internet.

    If you want to pretend like we said poverty is the only reason why genocide happens... believe that too.
    Last edited by flips333; 12-01-2018 at 01:00 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  12. #792
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    It's similar on the basis of both causing fear but one has an agenda and the other is just nonsensical crime in comparison. Look at what we did to Vietnam. Even today that is still causing casualties. You really can't compare these events to gang-affiliated violence. One has a large scale impact while the other pales in comparison. Responding to someone who said violence is violence. Someone with a knife scares me more than someone who is trying to punch me. I can fight someone who is trying to punch me. I am not fighting anyone who has a knife.
    nonsensical? Do you know what that means? It's not like 25 gang members get out of a Volkswagen beetle and then they shoot you.

    Seriously ya'll are full of it. You desperately want people who are desperate to not have valid reasons for said desperation. That's fine, plant you flag in the ground and stand over but at least ****ing own it.
    Last edited by flips333; 12-01-2018 at 12:59 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  13. #793
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    When those conservatives say that they're pretty clearly talking about inter-country migration.

    In regards to these migrants, they're saying, "your just fleeing poverty" because other people are trying to paint them as refugees....which they're not.
    Most are young men looking for work. That's it. There is nothing immoral or wrong with that, however, that doesn't make them refugees.
    How the **** do you know that. Can you back it?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  14. #794
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I also hate it when other people get nice things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ha ha ha ha. Sweet. I love your wit.
    Last edited by flips333; 12-01-2018 at 01:06 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  15. #795
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    WHO'S DOING THE VIOLENCE? That's the key issue, when it's the government doing it, it's far more effective and devastating because they have the power of the state, and tons of resources.

    When it's just gang war far it sucks.

    That's like comparing survivors of domestic abuse or bullying to survivors of genocide. Sure it's all violence, but there are some massive differences.
    I wonder if you compared the rates of PTSD in those populations what you would find...hmmmmm survivors of domsestic abuse (which usually consist of long term repeated physiocal and sexual assaults) what would we find...? Hmmmm I wonder...

    No wait I don't wonder.... because the rates of PTSD are statistically equal to that of combat veterans.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •