Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 332 of 610 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342382432 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 9139
  1. #4966
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    66,084

    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

    [QUOTE=Sluggo1;33534511]There was a video shown recently of 6-7 year old kids walking with signs that said "Eff the Police" a few had T-shirts saying the same thing. Proud moms were standing nearby. In my opinion, these kids are done at an early age. They are being taught that anything goes. No sense of dignity. Wht will they grow up to be.

    Video of the guy that put a cop in a headlock…gut taking the video kept talking and couldn't go more that a half dozen words or so without the Eff word, MFer, P word etc. What hope does that guy have of getting a decent job in a civilized society. He literally cannot speak to anyone without offending.

    At a rally in Minneapolis…the wimp mayor would't commit to defunding the police so the woman running the rally told him to get the eff off the stage. Talks to the mayor like this.

    All these "peace protests"…signs and chants using the eff word by men and women alike.

    Many posters here cannot post without the eff word.

    You can say it is just a word all you want but when people are this vulgar, it is hard to take them seriously. They just come across as ignorant trash.

    Sorry.[/QUOT.

    If those little kids were being made to carry signs that said “the police stink” or “police = trash” would that make it better? Maybe a little but not much imo.

    If someone says “when a see a police officer jump to the use of force without need I get ****ing angry” I don’t view them the same as the parents putting those signs in the hands of their children

    Context matters. Still I do think civility needs to be reintroduced into our political discourse. Getting rid of Trump would be a very good start


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #4967
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,998
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    It's not the word hurting anyone.
    maybe not, but it was a way for me to slip the fact parents are not only bringing small children to these protests where violence has broken out regularly, but had them carrying expletive laden signs......I find that well past acceptable parenting

    words do, however, hurt...used to work for the govt in human services...one prevalent sign in the office said 'the R word hurts' ...which it does...if someone is mentally challenged, I guarantee it's hurtful for them to hear it........and depending how it's used, the F word is as well...personally I've always despised it and felt like someone needing to use it simply lacks the vocabulary to properly communicate
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  3. #4968
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,321
    [QUOTE=ewing;33534534]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    There was a video shown recently of 6-7 year old kids walking with signs that said "Eff the Police" a few had T-shirts saying the same thing. Proud moms were standing nearby. In my opinion, these kids are done at an early age. They are being taught that anything goes. No sense of dignity. Wht will they grow up to be.

    Video of the guy that put a cop in a headlock…gut taking the video kept talking and couldn't go more that a half dozen words or so without the Eff word, MFer, P word etc. What hope does that guy have of getting a decent job in a civilized society. He literally cannot speak to anyone without offending.

    At a rally in Minneapolis…the wimp mayor would't commit to defunding the police so the woman running the rally told him to get the eff off the stage. Talks to the mayor like this.

    All these "peace protests"…signs and chants using the eff word by men and women alike.

    Many posters here cannot post without the eff word.

    You can say it is just a word all you want but when people are this vulgar, it is hard to take them seriously. They just come across as ignorant trash.

    Sorry.[/QUOT.

    If those little kids were being made to carry signs that said “the police stink” or “police = trash” would that make it better? Maybe a little but not much imo.

    If someone says you know when a see a police officer that jumps to the use of force without need I get ****ing angry I don’t view them the same are the parents putting those signs in the hands of their children

    Context matters. Still I do think civility needs to be reintroduced into our political discourse. Getting rid of Trump would be a very good start


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Should be introduced pretty much everywhere.

  4. 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

  5. #4969
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,321
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    maybe not, but it was a way for me to slip the fact parents are not only bringing small children to these protests where violence has broken out regularly, but had them carrying expletive laden signs......I find that well past acceptable parenting

    words do, however, hurt...used to work for the govt in human services...one prevalent sign in the office said 'the R word hurts' ...which it does...if someone is mentally challenged, I guarantee it's hurtful for them to hear it........and depending how it's used, the F word is as well...personally I've always despised it and felt like someone needing to use it simply lacks the vocabulary to properly communicate
    Language matters. There is a sense of propriety that a civilized society should maintain. If you are unable to maintain that sense of propriety you will have a difficult time operating within that society.

    But you probably won't realize it. The job you don't get, the lousy treatment you get in stores/restaurants, the opposite sex that avoids/ignores you, the invitations that don't come your way…all as a result as to how you present yourself. And all unknown because you don't even realize it is happening.

  6. #4970
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Just that one is closer to the truth than the other.
    you wish.

  7. #4971
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    There was a video shown recently of 6-7 year old kids walking with signs that said "Eff the Police" a few had T-shirts saying the same thing. Proud moms were standing nearby. In my opinion, these kids are done at an early age. They are being taught that anything goes. No sense of dignity. Wht will they grow up to be.

    Video of the guy that put a cop in a headlock…gut taking the video kept talking and couldn't go more that a half dozen words or so without the Eff word, MFer, P word etc. What hope does that guy have of getting a decent job in a civilized society. He literally cannot speak to anyone without offending.

    At a rally in Minneapolis…the wimp mayor would't commit to defunding the police so the woman running the rally told him to get the eff off the stage. Talks to the mayor like this.

    All these "peace protests"…signs and chants using the eff word by men and women alike.

    Many posters here cannot post without the eff word.

    You can say it is just a word all you want but when people are this vulgar, it is hard to take them seriously. They just come across as ignorant trash.

    Sorry.
    qft

  8. #4972
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    BTW Shakespeare was quite crude in his day.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  9. #4973
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The good news is that if they are taught that about police, then it's very likely they won't be a policeman who is out there killing unarmed black people. So that's a positive of it at least.
    Killing of police 18.5 times more than the reverse so there's that.

  10. #4974
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Language matters. There is a sense of propriety that a civilized society should maintain. If you are unable to maintain that sense of propriety you will have a difficult time operating within that society.

    But you probably won't realize it. The job you don't get, the lousy treatment you get in stores/restaurants, the opposite sex that avoids/ignores you, the invitations that don't come your way…all as a result as to how you present yourself. And all unknown because you don't even realize it is happening.
    Years ago I was interviewing to replace one of my supervisory staff and this one guy had an otherwise strong background and had interviewed fairly well....but had answered several of my questions with vulgar language, including F bombs. He was not offered the job. I ran into him at a restaurant a few weeks later and he expressed his disappointment but added 'was it because I'm black?' I said, 'of course not, but the language you chose to use certainly didn't help your case'. I'm not a prude even tho I rarely swear myself....but I wasn't putting someone in front of my clientele that didn't have enough sense...or have the ability...to rein in his language in an interview.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  11. #4975
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    maybe not, but it was a way for me to slip the fact parents are not only bringing small children to these protests where violence has broken out regularly, but had them carrying expletive laden signs......I find that well past acceptable parenting

    words do, however, hurt...used to work for the govt in human services...one prevalent sign in the office said 'the R word hurts' ...which it does...if someone is mentally challenged, I guarantee it's hurtful for them to hear it........and depending how it's used, the F word is as well...personally I've always despised it and felt like someone needing to use it simply lacks the vocabulary to properly communicate
    qft

  12. #4976
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Language matters. There is a sense of propriety that a civilized society should maintain. If you are unable to maintain that sense of propriety you will have a difficult time operating within that society.

    But you probably won't realize it. The job you don't get, the lousy treatment you get in stores/restaurants, the opposite sex that avoids/ignores you, the invitations that don't come your way…all as a result as to how you present yourself. And all unknown because you don't even realize it is happening.
    again qft

  13. 07-27-2020, 12:26 PM
    Reason
    Insults

  14. #4977
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,321
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Years ago I was interviewing to replace one of my supervisory staff and this one guy had an otherwise strong background and had interviewed fairly well....but had answered several of my questions with vulgar language, including F bombs. He was not offered the job. I ran into him at a restaurant a few weeks later and he expressed his disappointment but added 'was it because I'm black?' I said, 'of course not, but the language you chose to use certainly didn't help your case'. I'm not a prude even tho I rarely swear myself....but I wasn't putting someone in front of my clientele that didn't have enough sense...or have the ability...to rein in his language in an interview.
    It is amazing that this has to be explained at all.

    I find that a lot of people cannot speak without using vulgar terms. And they don't realize that it is holding them back. it's sad.

  15. #4978
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Language matters. There is a sense of propriety that a civilized society should maintain. If you are unable to maintain that sense of propriety you will have a difficult time operating within that society.

    But you probably won't realize it. The job you don't get, the lousy treatment you get in stores/restaurants, the opposite sex that avoids/ignores you, the invitations that don't come your way…all as a result as to how you present yourself. And all unknown because you don't even realize it is happening.
    I agree. Language matters. It shapes what and how we think. B-word aligns dog with female in our brains. That is... well... pardon my french but ****ed up. I teach people things like this in class. For example I tell the students up front that I will not accept them referring to people by their illness in my abnormal psych class. Calling someone a schizophrenic defines them with an illness... Calling them a person with schizophrenia is a fundamental shift in how we are treating people.

    I think the disconnect between you and mean in terms of how and why language matters is I am more concerned about how the speakers language changes how the speaker views the world, and your concern seems to be more for how the speakers language changes how the world sees the speaker.

    So you agree in not using the b-word and the n-word in general?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  16. #4979
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    17,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    There was a video shown recently of 6-7 year old kids walking with signs that said "Eff the Police" a few had T-shirts saying the same thing. Proud moms were standing nearby. In my opinion, these kids are done at an early age. They are being taught that anything goes. No sense of dignity. Wht will they grow up to be.

    Video of the guy that put a cop in a headlock…gut taking the video kept talking and couldn't go more that a half dozen words or so without the Eff word, MFer, P word etc. What hope does that guy have of getting a decent job in a civilized society. He literally cannot speak to anyone without offending.

    At a rally in Minneapolis…the wimp mayor would't commit to defunding the police so the woman running the rally told him to get the eff off the stage. Talks to the mayor like this.

    All these "peace protests"…signs and chants using the eff word by men and women alike.

    Many posters here cannot post without the eff word.

    You can say it is just a word all you want but when people are this vulgar, it is hard to take them seriously. They just come across as ignorant trash.

    Sorry.
    Sorry, you pick the most extreme example to push your point. I was talking about cuss words between friends in a friendly environment. The post was in a commentary to another post talking about decency and cuss words. I agree to a point. I wasn't pushing for kids to use the word or during violent situations. There is a time and place for everything. If cussing brother you, fine. If you think I am trash for using cuss words, I don't give a damn about another opinion of me anyway, since it doesn't put food on my table or money in my pocket. People are going to judge. But it by itself isn't an indicator of one's decency. I don't use cuss words in mix company, church, or job interviews, because those are places where it is uncall for. But in my home among family and friends, a few cuss words ain't going to ruin a friendly consverations.

    Those who use cuss words well, Richard Pryor and George Carlin. two of our best humorists.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-27-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

    Will Rogers

  17. #4980
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,233
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    If those little kids were being made to carry signs that said “the police stink” or “police = trash” would that make it better? Maybe a little but not much imo.

    If someone says “when a see a police officer jump to the use of force without need I get ****ing angry” I don’t view them the same as the parents putting those signs in the hands of their children

    Context matters. Still I do think civility needs to be reintroduced into our political discourse. Getting rid of Trump would be a very good start


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post

    Should be introduced pretty much everywhere.
    Sluggo... you will think this ironic. I just pushed for and had accepted a new learning outcome for the college I teach at that's essentially When students leave they will know how to talk to one another even though we are so polarized today.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •