Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 209 of 548 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 8220
  1. #3121
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I simply do not understand how this can be that hard to comprehend.

    Whether it is slavery, the genocide and virtual imprisonment of Native Americans, the second-class citizenship of women, southern Jim Crow and its northern cousin redlining, the Know-Nothing party, anti-semitism, incarceration of pacifists and socialists ó just to name a few of the more obvious examples of institutional oppression ó these are part of who we are (along with many, many examples of truly dignifying and liberating actions).

    And while we may be making progress (haltingly), a simple recognition, much less a further genuine internalization, of these things and their consequences for us as individuals and as a country is what I mean by the taking on of the moral act of responsibility.
    I think at the basis of this all is white guilt. Im not buying the whole I'm too stupid to understand charade people put on heee. I think this willful ignorance is a product of white guilt somehow.

    If you say America was officially established in 1776, no one gets offended. But when you talk about historical facts to do with slavery, people do. They feel guilty or whatever. And so they enter this weird defense mode, and you end up with the type of ridiculous posts you see in here

  2. #3122
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    I'll agree that there is rich and poor outcome to the law. The rich can afford better defense. No argument there.

    Probably very little difference in the application of the law between a rich person of color and a rich person of uncolor.
    yep. Money trumps any color or gender.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  3. #3123
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    yep. Money trumps any color or gender.
    Show me a place, culture, country, time in history or whatever category you can come up with where this wasn't the case.

    Human nature.

    Just the way it is.

  4. #3124
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,070
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I don't know who owes who what, what I do know is that our system has oppressed people and those people are still dealing with very harsh consequences from that oppression today, and so we need to recognize that if it is something we want to address.
    There are more empoverished white people than black people overall. Obviously that number is different by ratio to the population but still, many poor white people are just as impoverished as black people. So whatís the reasoning for their poverty? Are we to believe that black peoples poverty was solely based on one event and that white peoples poverty was based on their poor choices?

    If you want to start even more racial issues, than letís start rewarding some people and not others...

  5. #3125
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Show me a place, culture, country, time in history or whatever category you can come up with where this wasn't the case.

    Human nature.

    Just the way it is.
    yep. Money, and Power, always win out over any bias

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  6. #3126
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    80,306
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    There are more empoverished white people than black people overall. Obviously that number is different by ratio to the population but still, many poor white people are just as impoverished as black people. So whatís the reasoning for their poverty? Are we to believe that black peoples poverty was solely based on one event and that white peoples poverty was based on their poor choices?

    If you want to start even more racial issues, than letís start rewarding some people and not others...
    are you serious? No **** when 70% of a population versus 12% is compared, the total number of whites face harsher conditions. No matter how equal we make it, there are always going to be the bottom dwellers. But whatever point you are trying to make is odd, and makes no sense.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  7. #3127
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,626
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    There are more empoverished white people than black people overall. Obviously that number is different by ratio to the population but still, many poor white people are just as impoverished as black people. So whatís the reasoning for their poverty? Are we to believe that black peoples poverty was solely based on one event and that white peoples poverty was based on their poor choices?

    If you want to start even more racial issues, than letís start rewarding some people and not others...
    I'm not combating that people are poor, I'm combating that we have a slanted system which has put clear tangible and measurable burdens upon a particular demographic. I'm combating the idea that you can have a capitalist system like ours which is not inherently heavily biased against an economically deprived people. Coupled with the fact that slavery created an entire demographic of economically deprived people, I'm combating the idea that it is up to them and ONLY them, without support from the govt, to figure out how to dig themselves out of this hole.

  8. #3128
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    We've righted as many wrongs as is humanly possible.
    A fragrant untruth.

  9. #3129
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    63,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    trouble with the country today is that "fixes" require hard lines and actual sacrifice and effort.........we are in a 'Minimal Effort/Minimal Patience' society now. Pick your issue and that's what gets everyone all riled up...........Immigration?.....we want immigration controlled......except only you have to do it without hurting anyone's feelings, telling anyone no or anyone sacrificing a dollar. It's not possible. Fixes for anything are hard and we spend more time jerking around trying to figure out how to make it easy and pleasant on everyone and everything.
    the more pain the fix
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  10. #3130
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    yep. Money trumps any color or gender.
    That may be true, but do keep in mind that a Smith and Wesson beats Four Aces.

  11. #3131
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    A fragrant untruth.
    What else can we do?

    What else can be done?

    We're all ears.

  12. #3132
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    That may be true, but do keep in mind that a Smith and Wesson beats Four Aces.
    Four aces hires an AK.

    AK wins

  13. #3133
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm not combating that people are poor, I'm combating that we have a slanted system which has put clear tangible and measurable burdens upon a particular demographic. I'm combating the idea that you can have a capitalist system like ours which is not inherently heavily biased against an economically deprived people. Coupled with the fact that slavery created an entire demographic of economically deprived people, I'm combating the idea that it is up to them and ONLY them, without support from the govt, to figure out how to dig themselves out of this hole.
    He mentioned the point of the ration of the population being different. He asked about the reasoning for impoverished whites. The ratio may be smaller than that of impoverished blacks but there still is a large number of poor whites.

  14. #3134
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    are you serious? No **** when 70% of a population versus 12% is compared, the total number of whites face harsher conditions. No matter how equal we make it, there are always going to be the bottom dwellers. But whatever point you are trying to make is odd, and makes no sense.
    My point is we were never a system of class fully decided by race. There were always poor people- white and black. We cannot claim in 2019, that one races (white) economic strife was based on their own doing (poor decisions or whatever) while another races (black) economic strife was based on slavery.

  15. #3135
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    14,070
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm not combating that people are poor, I'm combating that we have a slanted system which has put clear tangible and measurable burdens upon a particular demographic. I'm combating the idea that you can have a capitalist system like ours which is not inherently heavily biased against an economically deprived people. Coupled with the fact that slavery created an entire demographic of economically deprived people, I'm combating the idea that it is up to them and ONLY them, without support from the govt, to figure out how to dig themselves out of this hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    He mentioned the point of the ration of the population being different. He asked about the reasoning for impoverished whites. The ratio may be smaller than that of impoverished blacks but there still is a large number of poor whites.
    Exactly as sluggo stated. Are poor whites just poor because? Are you saying that black people are poor because of slavery but white people are poor because of their own doing? This is why the logic behind reparations is flawed. Since the civil rights act, races are suppose to be treated equally by the Govt. This wouldnít be equal at all.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •