Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 204 of 548 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 8217
  1. #3046
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It's a shame the 40 acres promise was taken back. But I certainly wasn't alive during slavery, my children were not, their children were now. I think the time to pay for historical mistakes has to have an expiration, and that time is long past.
    Honestly there is a good chance if you had a time machine it could fix a **** ton of problems. You'd have conceivably generational wealth created in the form of property... and a huge block of voters controlling 2 states. Seriously our race problem might not be our race problem. Who's got a time machine?
    Last edited by flips333; 04-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  2. #3047
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,568
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Honestly there is a good chance if you had a time machine it could fix a **** ton of problems. You'd have conceivably generational wealth created in the form of property... and a huge block of voters controlling 2 states. Seriously our race problem might not be our race problem. Who's got a time machine?
    If we had a time machine we could fix so many issues. The willful destruction of black wealth in the 60s and the black family in the 70s are right near the top of that list if we are talking about race relations.

  3. #3048
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    You are talking about money. I am not and I have in fact said so.

    There are other ways to take reponsibility beyond admitting and apologizing — those are good first steps, however. It took the US 43 years to issue a formal apology for Japanese internment (interestingly, that came with financial reparations if I recall correctly).

    It took well over 100 years for the US government to do the same for the Native Americans, though that one was a kind of backhanded offer. https://www.thoughtco.com/the-us-apo...ricans-3974561

    Things like Affirmative Action — which I know is controversial and has an indirect economic component — are further measures devoted to (perhaps) imperfect ways to take responsibility.
    Yeah, because those were the people who were ACTUALLY wronged. The US government took THEIR specific rights away. So THEY specifically got paid, not someone they're distantly related to 5-6 generations down the line.

  4. #3049
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Seriously, learn how to read.

    Where in my post that you quoted did I mention slavery? Where in either of the other two posts I have made on this subject did I mention slavery?

    Here let me help you out:





    I’m talking about responsibility (NOT blame, thank you) for our collective history.
    What the **** else would the reparations before?

    And most of the BENEFITS that people immigrated here to receive (at least in terms of welfare and all that) didn't come into existence until the great depression and Roosevelt's New Deal. By which point most European immigration was tapering off and those immigrants were being replaced by Asian and Latino immigrants.

    The main reason people immigrated here was for job opportunities that were in the north and freedom from persecution in their home countries.

  5. #3050
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,568
    Tactically I think the worst things AOC has said were the reparations and the 91% tax rate.

  6. #3051
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Tactically I think the worst things AOC has said were the reparations and the 91% tax rate.
    Ya I don't agree with the reparations approach either catching up on this thread.

    What is the 91% rate thing?

  7. #3052
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,568
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya I don't agree with the reparations approach either catching up on this thread.

    What is the 91% rate thing?
    She went on CNN I think and was talking up how we used to have a 91% tax rate on the richest americans and it worked, and implying we could go back to that. If you ever want to get the powerful people against you tell them you are going to take 91% of their money. The next day I saw several stories about Dems planning to take her seat back for the "real Dems".

  8. #3053
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    She went on CNN I think and was talking up how we used to have a 91% tax rate on the richest americans and it worked, and implying we could go back to that. If you ever want to get the powerful people against you tell them you are going to take 91% of their money. The next day I saw several stories about Dems planning to take her seat back for the "real Dems".
    Do you have a link I couldn't find anything?

    All I found was Bernie saying that type of thing at a debate saying his number wouldn't be as high as Eisenhower.

  9. #3054
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If we had a time machine we could fix so many issues. The willful destruction of black wealth in the 60s and the black family in the 70s are right near the top of that list if we are talking about race relations.
    How is it that you can understand this yet still say half the **** you do?

    And wasn't that you pushing back on me regarding gun stores and liquor stores in black neighborhoods not being a natural product of the environment, but rather result of purposeful maneuvering..?

  10. #3055
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Yeah, because those were the people who were ACTUALLY wronged. The US government took THEIR specific rights away. So THEY specifically got paid, not someone they're distantly related to 5-6 generations down the line.
    So if someone wrongs you... all they have to do is hold it up in court till you die. Because then there is no way they could be help responsible.

    Like if I kill you negligently... Your estate shouldn't get anything because it's you I harmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  11. #3056
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Tactically I think the worst things AOC has said were the reparations and the 91% tax rate.
    Depends on the purpose. If the tactic is to move the party left. Get social programs enacted in racial minority groups and a slight increase on the wealthy it's fine. It gives cover for moderates to push those Ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  12. #3057
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    32,368
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I'll see your crazy and raise you a Washington POst http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...?noredirect=on
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    You can't expect Special to check to make sure the daily wire and Rudolph Giuliani are not crazy. That's beyond his skill set.

    maybe AOC needs to be questioned on what she meant by "drugs" ?









    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    How come when Trump makes **** up you sit there and applaud him, now all of a sudden it's a problem..?
    pay attention better. I just recently called out Trump for something he said about wind.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    Trump again said something stupid. when I saw this story I wondered whether it was a mistake, but apparently Trump did say this.

    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...cer-is-idiotic


    it's just stupid for Trump to say this.
    there has been many times when I've posted about stupid things Trump has said. often nobody replied so I understand you're not aware since it's easier to just ignore it and continue with a narrative.


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome


  13. #3058
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    15,245
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    maybe AOC needs to be questioned on what she meant by "drugs" ?


    Do you know what drugs are?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  14. #3059
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,568
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    How is it that you can understand this yet still say half the **** you do?

    And wasn't that you pushing back on me regarding gun stores and liquor stores in black neighborhoods not being a natural product of the environment, but rather result of purposeful maneuvering..?
    I don't remember the discussion you are referring to.

  15. #3060
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,568
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Do you have a link I couldn't find anything?

    All I found was Bernie saying that type of thing at a debate saying his number wouldn't be as high as Eisenhower.
    Sorry, I didn't find it. I just saw it on TV, don't remember what channel either. But I guess the fact that I don't see it means it didn't get picked up on.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •