Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 139 of 548 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 8217
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    People are changing. You're seeing a smaller % of people who control more and more of the world's wealth becoming greedier and not paying their share. They are not re-investing to the extent they claim either.

Spitting back to me my first sentence doesn't address the wage gaps, minimum wages, livable wages, etc. It just says "tough ****, deal with it".
    Not paying their share? Uhm, nearly half of American tax filers do not pay income taxes. The top 1% earned 20.58% of all AGI in 2014 and paid nearly 40% of all federal income taxes in America. The top 1% paid more than the bottom 90% of taxpayers. Top 10% paid 70% of all Federal Income taxes.

1) Minimum wages are jobs that aren't designed to be a liveable family wage. It's for the college kid who wants extra money to buy books, eat out, etc., Not to raise a damn family.

2) Wage gaps? Lol. There is no wage gap in fields that are in demand.

You're not understanding the situation at all. Economics don't lie. If you are in demand, your wage will go up. If you are not in demand, your wage will stay the same or decline. That's the fact. There doesn't need to be any addressing. Technology shifted who should be in demand. People need to adapt. We're moving away from a manufacturing to a services industry. Actually, we've already moved away from it. Instead of looking at wage gap and all this other stuff, you need to be specific. What job are they working? Which field? How qualified are they? Stop trying to make it seem as if their "unfair" wages are the product of corruption. No one is corrupting them. You're getting paid too little? Print out your resume and start finding an employer willing to pay you more.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    People are paid what they are worth. If you aren't worth much, you aren't getting paid the amount someone who provides a lot of value will get paid. There's a reason you don't really hear about underpaid tech workers. Why? Because they are in high demand. More people need to be getting into that field and not into fields that lead to being a clerical worker or seeking employment in areas that were not designed to be a sustainable family wage. Do people expect to be able to own a home, have two kids, a nice mid-size SVU and be able to go out for family outings working at Walmart or retail? It's simply unrealistic so you shouldn't be complaining about the system if that is the case. I agree, workers can be paid more but at the same time, it's your job to make sure you are paid what you are worth. A company will do its best to pay you as less as possible and if you are replaceable, e.g., cashier or retail, then it really isn't their fault. Other people are WILLING to do that work for less than what you're asking for so why should they give you a pay raise unless they see massive potential in you to climb up the ranks? You want higher pay? You negotiate. Provide what you can and how you can help them. You increase the skills you have by taking free classes online that will help you. Learn a language, learn two languages, network, etc., But if you want to beg for more money and sit there with your hand rubbing one out while expecting to get a pay raise, that's on you. If you know you can't afford to have a child, you shouldn't have one. If you know it will take you a few years to save up enough for a college education to improve your qualifications, then take those few years. Or just whine. That works, too.
    People are paid what businesses can get away with paying them. So long as we have enough competition, good enough rules in place etc. then maybe they will get paid what they are worth but many are pointing out our system has flaws that can be worked on. That is why we have our laws in place etc. already we are just talking about shifting them to keep up with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Not paying their share? Uhm, nearly half of American tax filers do not pay income taxes. The top 1% earned 20.58% of all AGI in 2014 and paid nearly 40% of all federal income taxes in America. The top 1% paid more than the bottom 90% of taxpayers. Top 10% paid 70% of all Federal Income taxes.
    The main thing that shows to me is that there is a huge range of income levels in the country.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Bolded…It doesn't stop with them unless they stick it in their mattress and sit on it.m If they put it in the bank or into some investment, the money moves.

Stop having kids if you can't afford it??? You shouldn't do anything you can't afford.

Re: the CEO making $14 mil a year. Does he make all that or is a lot of it stock options based on his success. And even if it is a cash outlay to his pocket, I guess the company can afford it or they wouldn't pay it, and quite possible if he wasn't paid that amount he wouldn't be working so hard to get it.

Why is the CEOs salary such an atrocity to people but athletes, rockers, movie stars, the entire entertainment business salaries never an issue? I never understood that.

What has changed over the last 30 years that affects having a comfortable secure life…that's easy…stuff. Tons of stuff that is considered normal today that never required an outlay of cash years ago. I spend approx $6 thousand a year on cell phones and television service (and I don't have a cell phone. Wife and kids have theirs). Another $6 thousand or so on car insurance. Heaven forbid any one take mass transit. Drive everywhere with navi systems. House with a pool…common in many areas. Eat out 5-6 times a month. Clothes are bought, worn for about a year and replaced…never gets repaired. Always have to be in style. Bourbon…can only buy premium bourbon. Can't just serve scotch…gotta be single malt. Beer that's not craft beer with a funny name…seriously? There's just more stuff to spend money on and easy to do even you have no money.

I think some adjustments are necessary. Maybe pay company executives some sort of percentage of bottom line (I can just see those accounting meetings). Maybe a little more realistic in how you pay employees who stick around. I definitely believe in company paid health insurance (doing this for thirty years. Getting very expensive.) Would support a reasonable national health care plan. How about a national sales tax that goes directly to some national health care plan. One in which everyone pays even thew poor.

College tuition…never hear about lowering professor's wages … any idea how much these pompous tenured people make? Can't they take a pay cut? College in Texas spent $10 million a few years ago renovating the football locker room. How can they justify high tuition when there is that kind of money around. Does every college in the state need to be building a new research facility for something…seems that way. nEverything is on line now but textbooks still go for $100+. Does that make sense.

So there is plenty of room to make adjustments…not just the $14 million CEO.
    My parent were born in the 30's on farms in Ireland. They didn't need indoor plumbing! They were fine. People who think they should be able to afford to poop indoors are what it wrong with this country!
    Last edited by ewing; 02-21-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Another thing about this AOC, she doesn’t always return her shopping cart to the little cart corral area. Damn phony!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 02-21-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Why do people still persist with this "minimum wage isn't for people to have livable jobs?" fiction? That was very clearly what it was for, President Roosevelt's speech said literally that:

https://www.thebillfold.com/2015/07/...a-living-wage/

In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

The minimum wage was very clearly to ensure everyone had a livable wage. If not, then what is the point of the minimum wage in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Wage gaps are a concern but minimum wages are an issue too. A friend of mine works as a hospital aide, makes 15 bucks an hour, gets paid bi weekly and sees 300 bucks come out of her paycheck every 2 weeks in federal, state, social security tax and paying for benefits. She won't tell me her net pay is but at those wages and those monies taken out of her paycheck she can't be pulling in much. I don't know if you know what NYC, Long Island, and Westchester real estate looks like but good luck with those wages finding an apartment. She has to work two jobs just to make ends meet. Can she really afford to pay a similar % in taxes to someone making 1000 times her salary?

Its not a singular issue.

I'm not crapping on people who have made enormous fortunes but they haven't been paying their share for years. They find every way they can to avoid taxes and their interests lobby in Washington to keep more of their crazy wealth.

Before I finished grad school, I used to work with people who have TBIs and its not much different. I had a client whose dad owned a billion dollar company, was the beneficiary of the company I worked for, was getting federal and state subsidies for the population in question and paid us a dollar more than minimum wage. Meanwhile his net worth was somewhere between 5 and 6 billion dollars. He was using that foundation as a tax write off and was underpaying employees to the point where the company was also short staffed.
    minimum wage is a concern due to wages not keeping with inflation. Look, minimum wage jobs have never been jobs meant to support a family, nor should they. But minimum wage today means you live in poverty, instead of on a strict budget like a couple decades ago.

The biggest thing that makes me laugh when conservatives "educate" us on spending habits, and the way business works, is they can't for the life of them address the fact that you can't raise a family on what you used to be able to, yet the top earners make exponentially more now than they used to.

Wage disparity is crumbling us. The cost of goods and services growing rapidly while wages stagnate is a close second.

Conservatives say it's all excuses and we don't work hard enough. Yet totally ignore a regular job paid for a **** load more 20-30 years ago. They completely miss the boat on WHY people can't live like they used to, and it's not choices. It's that the dollar doesn't stretch like it used to, and there are fewer dollars being given to the bottom 80% of us.
    Last edited by Hawkeye15; 02-21-2019 at 02:52 PM.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    minimum wage is a concern due to wages not keeping with inflation. Look, minimum wage jobs have never been jobs meant to support a family, nor should they. But minimum wage today means you live in poverty, instead of on a strict budget like a couple decades ago.

The biggest thing that makes me laugh when conservatives "educate" us on spending habits, and the way business works, is they can't for the life of them address the fact that you can't raise a family on what you used to be able to, yet the top earners make exponentially more now than they used to.

Wage disparity is crumbling us. The cost of goods and services growing rapidly while wages stagnate is a close second.
    They should be able to support yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Why do people still persist with this "minimum wage isn't for people to have livable jobs?" fiction? That was very clearly what it was for, President Roosevelt's speech said literally that:

https://www.thebillfold.com/2015/07/...a-living-wage/

In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

The minimum wage was very clearly to ensure everyone had a livable wage. If not, then what is the point of the minimum wage in the first place?
    Minimum wage isn't meant to raise a family, but a single person should be able to live off of it. I agree completely.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    They should be able to support yourself.
    haha, I literally just responded to your other post with the exact same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    haha, I literally just responded to your other post with the exact same thought.
    lol, great minds and all that

In terms of taxation, why so much devotion to defending the wealthy?
    Last edited by Crovash; 02-21-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    In terms of taxation, why so much devotion to defending the wealthy?
    Because they dream of being wealthy one day?

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1098776458011525120?s=21