Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 138 of 610 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 9139
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    I will sum up this absurd response…
    I've been around the rich, I've been around the poor (and I've been poor)…the rich are more fun.
    I don't think it is surprising that your response to him involved creating a scenario where you could side with the rich over the poor.

My poor friends would be much more fun if they didn't spend so much time working to provide for their families or had extra money when we went out too probably. That's kinda the entire point of bringing up these issues.

I will sum up this absurd response…
    I've been around the rich, I've been around the poor (and I've been poor)…the rich are more fun.
    An astute observation: people with more money are more fun!

I once met a starving child, least fun person I've ever been around.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I don't think it is surprising that your response to him involved creating a scenario where you could side with the rich over the poor.

My poor friends would be much more fun if they didn't spend so much time working to provide for their families or had extra money when we went out too probably. That's kinda the entire point of bringing up these issues.
    Of course not. Poor people suck. Haven't you heard?

Tell an athlete that their salary will be capped at $1 mil. See how much the game declines.

Tell a movie star that their salary will be capped at $1 mil. See how the movies decline.

Tell a rocker that ticket prices will be capped at $10. See how that industry changes.

These high priced CEOs make a ton and that seems to bother people. OK pass a law to fire them all with one year's severance. They'll be fine. Then tag the next top guy's salary to A.…company's bottom line and B a ratio of the lowest guy's salary and C cap his compensation at, oh let's say, $5 million. See what happens.
    NBA already has a max salary for players

I never said you have to cap how much any individual makes though this is straw man anyways.

I am not bothered by the CEO's making a lot of money, I am bothered by the argument we can't pay lower/middle class better wages while companies pay that much at the top. I think we need to make a lot of changes to the system as a whole and I think people need to start focusing on what is best for the American people as opposed to large corporations or top CEO's. This doesn't mean they can't make tons and tons of money it just means I think we should close loopholes, make sure working class is getting living wages etc. etc. as well to help MOST Americans and close the gap some.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 02-20-2019 at 06:26 PM.

NBA already has a max salary for players

I never said you have to cap how much any individual makes though this is straw man anyways.

I am not bothered by the CEO's making a lot of money, I am bothered by the argument we can't pay lower/middle class better wages while companies pay that much at the top. I think we need to make a lot of changes to the system as a whole and I think people need to start focusing on what is best for the American people as opposed to large corporations or top CEO's. This doesn't mean they can't make tons and tons of money it just means I think we should close loopholes, make sure working class is getting living wages etc. etc. as well to help MOST Americans and close the gap some.
    It cost a lot to pay employees. You're just talking about wage when they are many more factors built into hiring employees. It's why the payroll tax cut for hiring new employees is consistently one of the best ways to increase the amount of jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    It cost a lot to pay employees. You're just talking about wage when they are many more factors built into hiring employees. It's why the payroll tax cut for hiring new employees is consistently one of the best ways to increase the amount of jobs.
    Of course it does. It also costs a lot to pay CEO's hundreds of times more than those other employees.

Increasing the amount of jobs was not part of the issue being talked about here although I did say much of the system needs reform not just any area. I think the value of a job matters too etc. creating jobs just to create short term employment in areas/fields that are diminishing isn't as good as creating longer term sustainable/valuable jobs for example. There is tons that play into this as a whole but I was responding to things sluggo was getting at.

Of course it does. It also costs a lot to pay CEO's hundreds of times more than those other employees.

Increasing the amount of jobs was not part of the issue being talked about here although I did say much of the system needs reform not just any area. I think the value of a job matters too etc. creating jobs just to create short term employment in areas/fields that are diminishing isn't as good as creating longer term sustainable/valuable jobs for example. There is tons that play into this as a whole but I was responding to things sluggo was getting at.
    Agreed which is why education is important so our workforce can compete on the global level for those desirable valuable jobs. But apparently education is bad, mmkay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    well, perhaps we can offset some burger flippers being laid off with actually tapping into the next trillion dollar industry-the green industry.

In all reality, labor costs may be lower than they should be. However, profits amongst the higher earning corporations are way inflated, and systemizing that alone would offset the cost of goods if there were a rise due to labor cost rise.

I work at a trucking company with 550 employees, 375 of them drivers. Of the 150 office staff, all but 15 make under 85k a year. We have 3 people making over 200k, another few percent over 100k, then around 8-9 making that 85-99k.

My question is, why does a CEO need to make upwards of 4 times more than a dispatcher? Or, why does a CEO of a major corporation make 15-20 times more than a mid level employee?

Wage gap is way more of a concern than min wage, and needs to be addressed.
    Wage gaps are a concern but minimum wages are an issue too. A friend of mine works as a hospital aide, makes 15 bucks an hour, gets paid bi weekly and sees 300 bucks come out of her paycheck every 2 weeks in federal, state, social security tax and paying for benefits. She won't tell me her net pay is but at those wages and those monies taken out of her paycheck she can't be pulling in much. I don't know if you know what NYC, Long Island, and Westchester real estate looks like but good luck with those wages finding an apartment. She has to work two jobs just to make ends meet. Can she really afford to pay a similar % in taxes to someone making 1000 times her salary?

Its not a singular issue.

I'm not crapping on people who have made enormous fortunes but they haven't been paying their share for years. They find every way they can to avoid taxes and their interests lobby in Washington to keep more of their crazy wealth.

Before I finished grad school, I used to work with people who have TBIs and its not much different. I had a client whose dad owned a billion dollar company, was the beneficiary of the company I worked for, was getting federal and state subsidies for the population in question and paid us a dollar more than minimum wage. Meanwhile his net worth was somewhere between 5 and 6 billion dollars. He was using that foundation as a tax write off and was underpaying employees to the point where the company was also short staffed.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-20-2019 at 11:32 PM.

The majority of CEO's getting paid the amount you are saying are managing billion dollar companies. Some worth over $100 billion. They should get paid if they do a great job. Now, the ones who don't and still get paid a lot are the issue. But a CEO who gets paid $20 million for increasing profits by a huge percentage should not be on national headlines for getting paid $20 million. The amount of work and responsibility they take warrants that and they should be rewarded for it. But let's say we take the $20 million out of the equation. Bob Iger is a very good CEO. Disney employs at least 130,000 employees. Iger made $36 million last year as a CEO. $36 million split between 130,000 employees averages to $277 per person. Is that the real issue here? If so, problem solved. Everyone gets $277 extra and Iger gets $0. The idea that any CEO getting paid that much and it's bad is just absurd. Some CEO's who get paid that much, who aren't doing a good job, and who do not provide much should not be getting paid millions. But this doesn't and won't fix the problem because this IS NOT the problem. Ultimately put, people do not have to rely on companies to be employed. They are free to take their talents elsewhere if they believe they are not compensated accordingly. Let's stop trying to remove personal responsibility.

People are paid what they are worth. If you aren't worth much, you aren't getting paid the amount someone who provides a lot of value will get paid. There's a reason you don't really hear about underpaid tech workers. Why? Because they are in high demand. More people need to be getting into that field and not into fields that lead to being a clerical worker or seeking employment in areas that were not designed to be a sustainable family wage. Do people expect to be able to own a home, have two kids, a nice mid-size SVU and be able to go out for family outings working at Walmart or retail? It's simply unrealistic so you shouldn't be complaining about the system if that is the case. I agree, workers can be paid more but at the same time, it's your job to make sure you are paid what you are worth. A company will do its best to pay you as less as possible and if you are replaceable, e.g., cashier or retail, then it really isn't their fault. Other people are WILLING to do that work for less than what you're asking for so why should they give you a pay raise unless they see massive potential in you to climb up the ranks? You want higher pay? You negotiate. Provide what you can and how you can help them. You increase the skills you have by taking free classes online that will help you. Learn a language, learn two languages, network, etc., But if you want to beg for more money and sit there with your hand rubbing one out while expecting to get a pay raise, that's on you. If you know you can't afford to have a child, you shouldn't have one. If you know it will take you a few years to save up enough for a college education to improve your qualifications, then take those few years. Or just whine. That works, too.

People are paid what they are worth. If you aren't worth much, you aren't getting paid the amount someone who provides a lot of value will get paid. There's a reason you don't really hear about underpaid tech workers. Why? Because they are in high demand. More people need to be getting into that field and not into fields that lead to being a clerical worker or seeking employment in areas that were not designed to be a sustainable family wage. Do people expect to be able to own a home, have two kids, a nice mid-size SVU and be able to go out for family outings working at Walmart or retail? It's simply unrealistic so you shouldn't be complaining about the system if that is the case. I agree, workers can be paid more but at the same time, it's your job to make sure you are paid what you are worth. A company will do its best to pay you as less as possible and if you are replaceable, e.g., cashier or retail, then it really isn't their fault. Other people are WILLING to do that work for less than what you're asking for so why should they give you a pay raise unless they see massive potential in you to climb up the ranks? You want higher pay? You negotiate. Provide what you can and how you can help them. You increase the skills you have by taking free classes online that will help you. Learn a language, learn two languages, network, etc., But if you want to beg for more money and sit there with your hand rubbing one out while expecting to get a pay raise, that's on you. If you know you can't afford to have a child, you shouldn't have one. If you know it will take you a few years to save up enough for a college education to improve your qualifications, then take those few years. Or just whine. That works, too.
    There was a time where people could work lesser jobs and make a livable wage. Not saying you should make a 100 grand a year ringing up groceries but there is also no reason why billionaires should be able to escape federal taxes. The system doesn't work. If you adjust for inflation, the average hourly wage has as much purchasing power as it did in 1978. How do people survive working on those wages? Stagnation in middle and lower class wages as high wage workers grow exponentially create a significant gap. And its not like companies are compensating in other areas. Even college graduates are finding it harder to find employer sponsored benefits. 61% of college grads finding jobs were getting health insurance in 1989, its now 31% as of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    There was a time where people could work lesser jobs and make a livable wage. Not saying you should make a 100 grand a year ringing up groceries but there is also no reason why billionaires should be able to escape federal taxes. The system doesn't work. If you adjust for inflation, the average hourly wage has as much purchasing power as it did in 1978. How do people survive working on those wages? Stagnation in middle and lower class wages as high wage workers grow exponentially create a significant gap. And its not like companies are compensating in other areas. Even college graduates are finding it harder to find employer sponsored benefits. 61% of college grads finding jobs were getting health insurance in 1989, its now 31% as of 2013.
    And there was a time where everyone grew their own food and hunted for their own meat. Times are changing and people should as well.

And there was a time where everyone grew their own food and hunted for their own meat. Times are changing and people should as well.
    People are changing. You're seeing a smaller % of people who control more and more of the world's wealth becoming greedier and not paying their share. They are not re-investing to the extent they claim either.

Spitting back to me my first sentence doesn't address the wage gaps, minimum wages, livable wages, etc. It just says "tough ****, deal with it".

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    People are changing. You're seeing a smaller % of people who control more and more of the world's wealth becoming greedier and not paying their share. They are not re-investing to the extent they claim either.

Spitting back to me my first sentence doesn't address the wage gaps, minimum wages, livable wages, etc. It just says "tough ****, deal with it".
    Actually, your are seeing more and more people who control Americans wealth. Not sure where you're going with that.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!