Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 133 of 610 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 9139
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Amazon is becoming a monopoly, take the acquisition of Whole Foods for example.
    How does the acquisition of Whole Foods lead to a reduction of supply and an increase of price? The number of competitors in a market is absolutely irrelevant to the classification of a monopoly.

Competition makes the seller a price taker. Monopoly makes the seller a price maker.

Competition exists both within Amazon (as someone who sells on their platform, I know this is true) and in the greater market.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    the delays of the courts needs to end at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    And if people got **** counsel, well they had to die so the court could move faster…but tell me again how pro-life you are!
    I was told there would be pro-life! Not pro-death!

How does the acquisition of Whole Foods lead to a reduction of supply and an increase of price? The number of competitors in a market is absolutely irrelevant to the classification of a monopoly.

Competition makes the seller a price taker. Monopoly makes the seller a price maker.

Competition exists both within Amazon (as someone who sells on their platform, I know this is true) and in the greater market.
    It would depend on how you would define a monopoly.
    A monopoly refers to a sector or industry dominated by one corporation, firm or entity. Monopolies can be considered an extreme result of free-market capitalism in that absent any restriction or restraints, a single company or group becomes large enough to own all or nearly all of the market (goods, supplies, commodities, infrastructure and assets) for a particular type of product or service.

They already manipulate prices and our tax system, they've done so for years.

Amazon announced it was buying Whole Foods Market for more than $13 billion. About an hour later, Amazon’s stock had risen by about 3 percent, adding $14 billion to its value.

Amazon basically bought the country’s sixth-largest grocery store for free.

I define them as a company or organization that possesses the ability to act as a price maker rather than taker. I don’t know what business units Amazon has the ability to do that with. Are you referring to the Amazon selling business, AWS, or Whole Foods?

The actual number of competitors is irrelevant to whether something is monopolistic or not. Coke and Pepsi make up 99.99% of the soda market share but their business practices are almost wholly competitive.

I define them as a company or organization that possesses the ability to act as a price maker rather than taker. I don’t know what business units Amazon has the ability to do that with. Are you referring to the Amazon selling business, AWS, or Whole Foods?

The actual number of competitors is irrelevant to whether something is monopolistic or not. Coke and Pepsi make up 99.99% of the soda market share but their business practices are almost wholly competitive.
    So they're a duopoly? seems like we're having a discussion on political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This is ********.

Everybody is ****ing rude in the subways and push, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians. I have issues with all ethnic groups down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And some are more rude than others. Considering the majority of that area are Hispanics, my statement still stands.

Amazon is becoming a monopoly, take the acquisition of Whole Foods for example.
    Uhm, what? That's not a good example at all. Whole Foods doesn't sell anything other supermarkets don't have access to. You gotta re-read the definition of monopoly because this ain't it. Also, Amazon isn't a monopoly. Just because they dominate nearly all industries does not quantify as a monopoly. It just means they know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    I don't think Amazon technically makes a profit because they reinvest all their money. It's a crazy business model.
    Yup. You are right. It's why they were operating at a loss and were able to rollover their losses to now. People saying Amazon doesn't pay income taxes are just being misled. They are able to take advantage of deductions that were designed to help businesses grow just like people are allowed a standard or itemized deduction to help offset costs.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Uhm, what? That's not a good example at all. Whole Foods doesn't sell anything other supermarkets don't have access to. You gotta re-read the definition of monopoly because this ain't it. Also, Amazon isn't a monopoly. Just because they dominate nearly all industries does not quantify as a monopoly. It just means they know what they're doing.
    A monopoly is a kind of structure that exists when one company or supplier produces and sells a product. If there is a monopoly in a single market with no other substitutes, it becomes a “pure monopoly.” When there are multiple sellers in an industry and there are many similar substitutes for the goods being produced, and companies keep some power in the market, then it is called monopolistic competition.

Amazon is not a monopoly, they're a monopolist.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 02-18-2019 at 08:16 PM.

A monopoly is a kind of structure that exists when one company or supplier produces and sells a product. If there is a monopoly in a single market with no other substitutes, it becomes a “pure monopoly.” When there are multiple sellers in an industry and there are many similar substitutes for the goods being produced, and companies keep some power in the market, then it is called monopolistic competition.

As far as I know Amazon doesn't have any monopolistic activities. They are a massive reseller of other people's goods. They compete with ebay, etsy, craigslist, and lot of other businesses that are themselves doing well.

I think you are taking Amazon being big to mean they are a monopoly. They are mainly a fulfillment company, but there are several huge competitors in that market too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    As far as I know Amazon doesn't have any monopolistic activities. They are a massive reseller of other people's goods. They compete with ebay, etsy, craigslist, and lot of other businesses that are themselves doing well.

I think you are taking Amazon being big to mean they are a monopoly. They are mainly a fulfillment company, but there are several huge competitors in that market too.
    An monopolist attempting to create a monopoly. They've only been gigantic over the last couple years.

Feel free to chase Amazon controversies, I don't have all night.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...t_availability

America’s Monopolies Are Holding Back the Economy
    "Large corporations are concentrating control over markets and using their power to raise prices, limit choices for consumers, lower wages for workers, and hold back competition from startups and small businesses. It’s no wonder Americans feel the deck is stacked for those at the top." Hilary Clinton 2015
    https://qz.com/529303/hillary-clinto...rs-out-to-dry/

This was actually the message Clinton was running on before Sanders came along. It was based on a substantial and growing body of research that confirms that consolidation is at the root of many of America’s most pressing economic and political problems.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 02-18-2019 at 09:57 PM.

And some are more rude than others. Considering the majority of that area are Hispanics, my statement still stands.
    It’s still a load of bull ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    It’s still a load of bull ****.

That's your opinion.

No, Amazon doesn't have exclusive control over anything. You're the one saying they are becoming a monopoly because of their Whole Foods acquisition. There are MANY substitutes to Whole Foods. You are arguing semantics and confusing everyone with junk. They are not a monopoly or trying to be one, period. They are just a company that understood that retail is just one part of their business and that you have to expand your portfolio in all aspects to sustain your business.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

An monopolist attempting to create a monopoly. They've only been gigantic over the last couple years.

Feel free to chase Amazon controversies, I don't have all night.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...t_availability

America’s Monopolies Are Holding Back the Economy
    "Large corporations are concentrating control over markets and using their power to raise prices, limit choices for consumers, lower wages for workers, and hold back competition from startups and small businesses. It’s no wonder Americans feel the deck is stacked for those at the top." Hilary Clinton 2015
    https://qz.com/529303/hillary-clinto...rs-out-to-dry/

This was actually the message Clinton was running on before Sanders came along. It was based on a substantial and growing body of research that confirms that consolidation is at the root of many of America’s most pressing economic and political problems.
    Lol, what? So Hillary is the expert of what a monopoly is? Surely she didn't try to gain some votes from those who saw Amazon as too powerful, no? You didn't provide any evidence.. just that Hillary said they were so they must be. Now you are trying to deflect by bringing up random stuff.. Amazon is everywhere.. they have a piece in every industry. They are not the only retailer, are they? Is Whole Foods the only supermarket chain? Are Kindle products the only tablets? What about Amazon Echo? Hmmm, Amazon Music, Prime Video, Audiobooks.. all have competitors. Many of them. Just admit it - you forgot what monopoly meant and used it incorrectly.