Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/4...172450768.html

Does anyone actually think not voting to continue funding the government is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post

Does anyone actually think not voting to continue funding the government is a good idea?
    Theyíd rather watch it burn then give a Dem controlled House/Senate/President anything to work with. I canít wait until the people that vote for them finally realize they arenít in their best interest.

Yes 211 Republicans. We don't have a count on how many Republicans can be added to this number once the Senate votes. But honestly I think Democrats need to take a vote to raise the debt ceiling to $999 quadrillion. Screw all this foolishness and taking it to December...
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Both parties depending on who's in charge, and this is just a stop gap anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yes 211 Republicans. We don't have a count on how many Republicans can be added to this number once the Senate votes. But honestly I think Democrats need to take a vote to raise the debt ceiling to $999 quadrillion. Screw all this foolishness and taking it to December...
    They aren't going to raise it to a finite number, both parties are to scared of the headlines of "Party Raises debt ceiling to $X"

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Both parties depending on who's in charge, and this is just a stop gap anyway.
    I get the strategy behind McConnell's actions: he wants to portray it as Democrats running up the debt and spending.

But I don't believe he actually thinks it's a good idea for it to default on our obligations.

They aren't going to raise it to a finite number, both parties are to scared of the headlines of "Party Raises debt ceiling to $X"
    I say screw it. Just get it over with and unofficially repeal the whole concept of the debt ceiling. It's really ****ing stupid and I would argue unconstitutional. My preference would be to repeal the whole notion of the debt ceiling, but I don't see that happening. So the next would be to raise it to a level we will not hit. There is also part of me that would like to see us say "we're not raising it because it's not constitutional and hit it and keep operating as normal and force someone to take us to court over it. This would have short term pains that should be obvious enough and make it the least likely to ever happen.

I say screw it. Just get it over with and unofficially repeal the whole concept of the debt ceiling. It's really ****ing stupid and I would argue unconstitutional. My preference would be to repeal the whole notion of the debt ceiling, but I don't see that happening. So the next would be to raise it to a level we will not hit. There is also part of me that would like to see us say "we're not raising it because it's not constitutional and hit it and keep operating as normal and force someone to take us to court over it. This would have short term pains that should be obvious enough and make it the least likely to ever happen.
    I'll save this post for when you whine about us pushing the debt ceiling the next time the republicans are in control.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

I don't think it's unconstitutional, but we're the only major country that has something like this.

I get the strategy behind McConnell's actions: he wants to portray it as Democrats running up the debt and spending.

But I don't believe he actually thinks it's a good idea for it to default on our obligations.
    Well, Dem's will try to blame Republicans for the crisis, but it'll be hard since they have the votes to pass anything they want.
    So long as Republicans aren't filibustering, it'll be tough to pin anything on them.

And I know McConnel know's that default is a bad idea, he called out dem's for doing this same **** like 3 years ago.
    As I said, this is something both parties **** around with when they're not in power. I think it's stupid, and the political gains aren't worth the national pain.

Well, Dem's will try to blame Republicans for the crisis, but it'll be hard since they have the votes to pass anything they want.
    So long as Republicans aren't filibustering, it'll be tough to pin anything on them.

And I know McConnel know's that default is a bad idea, he called out dem's for doing this same **** like 3 years ago.
    As I said, this is something both parties **** around with when they're not in power. I think it's stupid, and the political gains aren't worth the national pain.
    Well there wonít be a crisis if the Democrats vote to raise it, even if the Republicans all donít m (since as you said Dems have the votes to do it themselves).

Well there wonít be a crisis if the Democrats vote to raise it, even if the Republicans all donít m (since as you said Dems have the votes to do it themselves).
    We'll see, what happens.

I don't think it's unconstitutional, but we're the only major country that has something like this.
    Article 14, Section 4 states:

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

The concept of a debt ceiling invalidates the validity of the public debt and is therefore not constitutional. The problem is the notion of hitting it sends terrible signals to the economy and would crater the global economy. So even if it is not legally valid, the implications are unspeakable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast