Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

It's been 20 years....

... I was just laid off on August 31st and was sleeping in. I was scheduled the next day to go to downtown Chicago for an interview, so I was enjoying sleeping in for the last time. I was slowly waking up to the news coming across my alarm clock when reports of a plane struck the World Trade Center. I woke up pretty quickly and turned on the television. I also called my girlfriend (later to be my wife) as to what was happening. I saw the live coverage of the plane hitting the second tower.

I had no words, no facial expressions, just complete shock of what was happening. I recall vividly how quiet the skies were. Never realized before how normally the outside is so noisy with air traffic, but not this day, not for several days.

I knew of no one that had passed nor did I know of someone who knew someone. I was very distant from the tragedy from that standpoint. It was probably 12-15 years before I started to cry around this time of the year. I began watching the historical films made and what our President went thru on that day.

Even now as I write this, tears well in my eyes. Just like when my grandparents would speak of WWII I imagine.

To everyone that lost someone that day or knows someone that they lost my heart and prayers go out to you. To all those that have helped that day and beyond as well as those that died from helping or are now experiencing health issues since, I pray that you get thru this.

It saddens me that it took 9/11 to bring America together. It saddens me that the "togetherness" did not last.

Please find peace in something you do this week.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

I was in middle school so I wasn't paying attention to all the external stuff or really fully aware what was happening. We got called into the auditorium and they told us what happened. We didn't go home early that day but over the next few weeks we had some heightened security measures. Though we had far more the next year when the DC sniper was active. I remember that far more vividly to be honest. Probably because it had a more direct impact on my day to day life at the time. I wasn't flying very many places and the fact that we had to stop the car right at the side door to the school to go in was more directly impactful.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

I was a freshman or sophomore in high school. Was kind of running late for school so I just caught a glimpse of the footage on tv and thought it was a trailer for a new movie coming out. got to school and everyone was freaking out. The school day was kind of a bust missed half my classes cause we just sat in one teachers classroom watching new feeds.

It seems as if there is some massive calamitous event that marks the end of a decade.

1989: fall of Berlin Wall
    2001: 9/11
    2008: Great Recession
    2020: Covid

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    It seems as if there is some massive calamitous event that marks the end of a decade.

This trend goes back far father. But it’s a definite trend.

I was in college but didn't have classes until later, so my girlfriend woke me up when she called to tell me about it. "We're under attack" was what she woke me up with, which just made no sense. But then I turned on the news and it.. made less sense?

My mom was an ER nurse and was at work at the time, she called not long later and said they were on alert and she may have to go to Chicago or St Louis if something happened there, which made it all a little more scary.

I was at work that evening, in a grocery store, and they interrupted the muzak playing overhead to play the audio of the congresspeople singing.. God Bless America, I think it was? It was all kind of eerie listening to it, and then ringing out someone's box of cereal like everything was normal.

I was driving to my dad's after work to watch the news with him when I passed a business that had changed their sign to say "Stand tall, America" and something about that just made me start crying. It was a weird day, to say the least.

My dad was in the North tower on 9/11. He worked for Bank of America at the time. Thankfully he was able to escape because they were on the 9-11 floors (ironically). All he said was he heard the loudest crash and people having no idea what had happened until they exited the building and looked up. It was only a couple minutes after that the South tower was hit. Thankfully he called my grandmother before they lost reception to let her know he was okay. I was in high school at the time and didn't hear about it until after the South tower was hit. I remember running to the principals office to call my him and my grandma.

2600 people dead in those towers. Some of which my dad knew. The only thing that saved there being more loss of life was because those buildings were half occupied due to extraordinarily high rents.
    Last edited by metswon69; 09-08-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Jesus Christ.

"`Can you explain this gap in your resume?`

`Well, the vaccinated hosts on the news channel I like convinced me to resign to protest my work's vaccine mandate and take a few years off to help extend the pandemic”" - @LOLGOP

9/11 was in 9/2001
    The crash in 2008 was in 9/2008
    Covid's first case was supposedly 9/2019.

Not sure I'd call the fall of the wall calamitous.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    9/11 was in 9/2001

Yeah I don’t mean calamitous I mean more like a world shifting dynamic. We live in a post-USSR world, post 9/11 world, post-recession world, post-Covid world, etc.

I was 5 years old in kindergarten. I remember my teacher leaving and coming back all quiet…then my dad picked me up and took me home. I had never seen so much smoke in my life, the sky had one gigantic black trail that I could see all the way from Brooklyn.

I went home and saw what was happening on CNN, then I saw the second tower hit live. Probably one of the reasons I’m so desensitized.

I don’t remember much else after that. I remember the country going to war and all of the talk of oil, condeleza rice, cheney, bush, etc.

I met a retired firefighter who lost his crew during 9/11. Even met a retired today while I was working who said he did recovery for bodies during the whole thing.

It didn’t have an immediate impact on my life but it’s undeniable that the ramifications of 9/11 certainly had an affect on my upbringing. Post 9/11 society I imagine was very different prior to it, especially flying and other government agencies that were created as a result.

I experienced a lot of prejudice and discrimination growing up as a result, I also know a guy who’s name was Osama that he ended up changing to Sam because he was being bullied relentlessly. It’s sad, 9/11 had thousands of lives that were lost but it just had the worst domino effect that I had personally witnessed.

People die in the twin towers so we go to war. Innocent lives were lost whether it was in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and so on. Now these soldiers come home…who do they turn to? The government says **** all and now these people who fought for this country are left with no resources and frequently end up homeless or struggle with addiction, PTSD, or a variety of other mental health issues.

Then there’s the American societal impact…a lot of people thought the war was justified, a lot of people developed prejudices toward those of the Muslim faith. Just the whole concept of having a boogeyman in this world is something politicians and people have fear mongered into thinking that those people are the reasons for your issues, when it’s just not the case.

Then there’s also all of the politicians throwing money into companies like Lockheed Martin prior to going to war. Absolute joke.

9/11 was such a tragedy and it still disgusts me how these politicians and other ‘big shots’ used it as a cash cow to just further their own agenda.

On a more positive note, the memorial downtown is really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Yeah I don’t mean calamitous I mean more like a world shifting dynamic. We live in a post-USSR world, post 9/11 world, post-recession world, post-Covid world, etc.
    And we should start skipping over September.

I was working nights, got up that morning to just make some breakfast and out the tv on and saw that the first plane had already hit.

Watched it for a few and then when the second one hit I just felt numb. Like wtf is happening?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    9/11 was in 9/2001

I imagine it was for the former Soviet Union. It was definitely a turning point.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

That day is still claiming victims. Some of whom successfully escaped the towers.

One that really got me was hearing about Marcy Borders, who worked on the 81st floor of the north tower. She was the woman known as “the dust lady”, who was iconically photographed covered in dust after the buildings collapsed. She was 28 in 2001 and died of stomach cancer in 2015. Prior to her death, she had suffered from depression, drug and alcohol addiction, and had lost custody of her children.

Her story is important and there are so many others like her who survived the day, but lost their lives because of it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast