Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 353 of 384 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,295 of 5746
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    AOC was right.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...aking-billions

I've spoken a lot about this particular thing. I'm not rehashing it. I'm not really for giving $3B in taxpayer money to the richest man in the world. Bribing him to do business. I guess fiscal conservatives are?

If you want to reduce her down to the Amazon/NYC deal, go ahead. I'll let you keep underestimating her as she continues to "radicalize" (honestly, it's deradicalizing) the masses. The movement Bernie, AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley, the Justice Democrats and so on and so on are building is the only thing that gives me hope. That maybe someday we'll be the great country we pretend to be. One that helps out its own with it's unparalleled resources instead of fighting pointless wars, locking everyone up and continuing to expand income inequality in this country. One that says: "you know what, better things are possible". I know it's a long shot because our government is just an absolute mess and she'll be fighting against all the most powerful entities in the world, but it's nice to know there's people trying.

Look at how the GND and M4A have been popularized because of the work she and a few others have been doing? No one knew what the GND was 5 years ago. Now everyone does. And both are popular. As are most of her political wants. She is a fantastic advocate for bold and meaningful progressive policy. Something the Democratic Party has lacked for a long time.

The landscape of politics on the left looks drastically different now than it did half a decade ago. I think Bernie obviously deserves the bulk of the credit. He was the politician that made me realize how wrong I was about Democrats and how much better they can be. But AOC has resonated in a similarly powerful way. You can deny it all you want but the traction she has is real.

Democrats have to be dragged to the right positions on things, and she's slowly working on it.

We just need Chuck and Nancy and the rest of the Republican-lites to bow out. Or honestly croak. That works too.
    It is hard to believe that you are so misinformed but let me help you.

First off……

Bolded…I agree with you 100%. It is corporate bribery and it should not be allowed. If we could pass some sort of national law prohibiting tax breaks such as these I am for it. But that law does not exist, so you haver to offer tax breaks to get these deals. Any community in the US would kill to get 20,000 jobs and this moron killed the 20,000 jobs.

Point 2……Your newspaper article (and AOC) is flat out wrong. Amazon brought 1500 mostly white collar management jobs to Manhattan. Her constituents are in the South Bronx and Queens. Those 1500 jobs would have come with the Amazon expansion anyway and NOT gone to her constituents since they are mostly unskilled laborers. If you are not familiar with the South Bronx think one notch up from El Salvador. Is is incredible that a congressional could do something so stupid as to lose 20,000 jobs for her district. It is even more incredible to listen to someone like you and others defend what she did. Consider: have you ever heard a politician speak without the subject of jobs coming up??? No, me neither. Jobs are a foundational building block of any society. All those people trying to get here from down south are doing so for jobs. NYS is suffering from unemployment. And this fashion queen kicked out 20,000 of them.

Point 3 The Green New Deal will never get passed. It is a dumb idea brought up by someone who knows nothing about what she speaks. And no clue as to the cost. No one knew about it 5 years ago? I doubt if many will be talking about it 5 years from now.

I know you love that "stick it to the man" attitude and she spiels that really well; but it just doesn't move things forward,

And you never answered my question so here it is again:
    Here' s a thought………let's say US Steel was all set to open up steel plants in Pittsburg creating thousands of jobs, but some cute little Pittsburgian congresswoman got elected and mouthed off and US Steel went elsewhere. How would that go over in Steeltown??? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Point 3 The Green New Deal will never get passed. It is a dumb idea brought up by someone who knows nothing about what she speaks. And no clue as to the cost. No one knew about it 5 years ago? I doubt if many will be talking about it 5 years from now.
    Riveting insight. I guess I am wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Try this.

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog...ight-about-hq2

A bit more compelling than: "I think it's dumb. I don't think she even understands it. Global Warming is an issue we're going to forget about in 5 years".

Brilliant.

It's only impossible because that's what we as a country have decided. We've been so poorly run for so long that we just accept that we won't ever get good things from the government. Keeping burning up our tax dollars on a whole lot of nonsense when instead we could...you know...not do that. It's pretty ****ing simple dude. Stop doing wars. Stop corporate welfare. And move into the 21st century.

A massive jobs program that seeks to overhaul our crippling infrastructure with green technology instead? Sounds great to me! You're upset taxpayers didn't pay $3B for 20,000 jobs. You know how many jobs the GND would create? Worthwhile jobs too.
    Last edited by ManRam; 10-30-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    She stood up for them and didn’t sell out to a huge corporation that refused to hire locally and would have driven them out of the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh right.

All those construction jobs…they would have just brought in all that construction skills (that are already there) and ll that heavy equipment (that is already there) from out of state.

And those 20,000 jobs that would be mostly unskilled but trainable labor…they would just brong all those people in from out of state (even though they were already there.

Amd changing the 'hood (always say 'hood when talking about places like that)……any chance that the local workers that were hired to better positions would have improved themselves to be able to afford better living conditions. Any chance that those low end jobs would have allowed people to prove themselves and move into supervisory and management positions????

No politician ever lets jobs get away if you can help it. P{oliticians kill to get jobs in their area. This *** kills jobs.

Riveting insight. I guess I am wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

Try this.

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog...ight-about-hq2

A bit more compelling than: "I think it's dumb. I don't think she even understands it. Global Warming is an issue we're going to forget about in 5 years".

Brilliant.

It's only impossible because that's what we as a country have decided. We've been so poorly run for so long that we just accept that we won't ever get good things from the government. Keeping burning up our tax dollars on a whole lot of nonsense when instead we could...you know...not do that. It's pretty ****ing simple dude. Stop doing wars. Stop corporate welfare. And move into the 21st century.

A massive jobs program that seeks to overhaul our crippling infrastructure with green technology instead? Sounds great to me! You're upset taxpayers didn't pay $3B for 20,000 jobs. You know how many jobs the GND would create? Worthwhile jobs too.
    Bolded……you're welcome. No charge.

So what do I do now…come up with a dozen articles showing how dumb she was???

Rest of your post……who says the only dreamers are these illegal immigrant kids. We have a lot of dreamers around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    When I called for an uber the other day, the guy came by to pick me up in a BMW. I refused to get in because I’m a man of the people.
    I woulda slammed the door shut right in the driver's face. I don't play that..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Really???

I wasn't aware of any first termer costing her district 20,000 jobs. She's the only one I ever heard of doing that but I guess maybe you know more.

Here's thought………let's say US Steel was all set to open up steel plants in Pittsburg creating thousands of jobs, but some cute little Pittsburgian congresswoman got elected and mouthed off and US Steel went elsewhere. How would that go over in Steeltown??? Just wondering.
    Many people keep corporate business out of their districts and the residents see it as a victory. Davis CA was a city like that.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

No politician ever lets jobs get away if you can help it. P{oliticians kill to get jobs in their area. This *** kills jobs.
    You sound like one of those typical ignorant trump supporters that's probably celebrating the bringing back of coal jobs, lol.

We have a lot of dreamers around here.
    Let me clear up some things that you, somehow, still don't understand about me despite reading thousands of my posts.

I am not a dreamer.

I think so little of and expect even less from our government.

I hate Democratic leadership. In fact, I left the party.

I am not an optimistic person.

And I definitely don't think that the GND or m4a are going to be passed, at least not anytime soon.

OK?

And that's precisely why AOC resonates with me.

Change always comes real freaking slow in this country. After years or decades worth of advocacy and struggle. The public opinion has to get to a certain point before anything changes. She is doing as good of a job with that as just about anyone.

You disagree with her politically. And I think it's just ultimately all about that. Because objectively she found tremendous success advocating for progressive policy. Hard stop.

She unfortunately operates within a party whose last President came up with a terrible GOP-lite healthcare plan...combatted climate change so timidly that immediately everything he did was overturned the second he left....did almost nothing to overhaul our criminal justice system despite also facing protests, riots and unrest...did nothing to end American imperialism...did nothing to end the war on drugs...did nothing to lower tuition costs...did not hold wall street accountable for the recession they caused...did not...you get it....

There I go again. Being a dreamer...

Thing is, Republicans don't have answers for any of those things either. Hell, half the real problems they just pretend aren't real things

But you know who does? AOC. And it's only not possible because every single other politician and person with any real power in this country does not want an America that looks after its people.

So of course it's a longshot. I've never suggested it isn't.

But it becomes less and less of a longshot the more and more AOCs there are.
    Last edited by ManRam; 10-30-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    HELLO

Oh right.

All those construction jobs…they would have just brought in all that construction skills (that are already there) and ll that heavy equipment (that is already there) from out of state.

And those 20,000 jobs that would be mostly unskilled but trainable labor…they would just brong all those people in from out of state (even though they were already there.

Amd changing the 'hood (always say 'hood when talking about places like that)……any chance that the local workers that were hired to better positions would have improved themselves to be able to afford better living conditions. Any chance that those low end jobs would have allowed people to prove themselves and move into supervisory and management positions????

You are making stuff up. the jobs they were promising were white color with at an average of 150,000 annually but you should know this bc you’ve done this with poster after poster in thread after thread. Just say I don’t like her. I doubt either if us know a lot about her local politics but she is clearly intelligent and has had a significant impact nationally. If you don’t think she is good at this you are either very wrong or full of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Oh yeah...Sluggo thinks he knows that her constituents think she's failed them? Because of how rude she was to our precious and innocent Amazon....

Ballot box don't like.
    HELLO

A study conducted by UPenn’s Wharton School of Business analysing the failed Amazon deal with NYC concluded that there were significant missed opportunities on both sides, those specifically from the corporation’s side, largely having to do with lack of local input, as expressed by many local officials as well as Ms. Ocasio-Cortez.

One of main objections from local officials was that Amazon would bypass the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, which would ensure a closer review by city officials. In a December hearing held by the New York City Council, the council...proposed a bill to ban non-disclosure agreements in economic development deals that can hide things like “giant tax giveaways without public knowledge or input.”

Wachter said Amazon should have engaged the local Long Island City community more closely during the negotiations...Long Island City is a dense urban area where Amazon’s expansion would have a much bigger impact on residents [than the Virgina site]. The company can’t just negotiate with the mayor and governor. “If you’re bringing congestion and higher housing prices, you’ve got to get buy-in from the local community,” Wachter said. Amazon didn’t do enough reaching out to the locals. “They were not at the table.”

Riggs agreed. “You have to be working with local and state governments, and particularly listening to the constituents you’re going to impact,” he said. “Without listening to these constituencies, I do think it is going to be hard for companies to continue to expand at the rate they are.”

https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...new-york-deal/
    Last edited by Crovash; 10-30-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Let me clear up some things that you, somehow, still don't understand about me despite reading thousands of my posts.

I am not a dreamer.

I think so little of and expect even less from our government.

I hate Democratic leadership. In fact, I left the party.

I am not an optimistic person.

And I definitely don't think that the GND or m4a are going to be passed, at least not anytime soon.

OK?

And that's precisely why AOC resonates with me.

Change always comes real freaking slow in this country. After years or decades worth of advocacy and struggle. The public opinion has to get to a certain point before anything changes. She is doing as good of a job with that as just about anyone.

You disagree with her politically. And I think it's just ultimately all about that. Because objectively she found tremendous success advocating for progressive policy. Hard stop.

She unfortunately operates within a party whose last President came up with a terrible GOP-lite healthcare plan...combatted climate change so timidly that immediately everything he did was overturned the second he left....did almost nothing to overhaul our criminal justice system despite also facing protests, riots and unrest...did nothing to end American imperialism...did nothing to end the war on drugs...did nothing to lower tuition costs...did not hold wall street accountable for the recession they caused...did not...you get it....

There I go again. Being a dreamer...

Thing is, Republicans don't have answers for any of those things either. Hell, half the real problems they just pretend aren't real things

But you know who does? AOC. And it's only not possible because every single other politician and person with any real power in this country does not want an America that looks after its people.

So of course it's a longshot. I've never suggested it isn't.

But it becomes less and less of a longshot the more and more AOCs there are.
    Just what makes you think that someone with a background such as hers could possibly come up with the Energp Plan for the United States for the next 30 years?????

Bolded……republicans have no answers because they are not probems to begin with. With all the enwergy available to us, there is no need for aGreen New Deal. It's really that simple. As for climate change…thew oplanet is warming and there is nothing we can do about it. It will eventually cool and there will be nothing we can go about that.

Second bolded……do you have any idea as to how ridiculous (not to mention childish) and how absurd that sounds. "Only AOC cares for our people." And they say Trump supporters are a cult??? I think the Manson family spoke like this. Substitute "AOC" for "Charlie" and you are there.

You may not realize this but very few in Congress take her and the squad seriously. Most probably dislike her as much as they do Trump.

Oh yeah...Sluggo thinks he knows that her constituents think she's failed them? Because of how rude she was to our precious and innocent Amazon....

Ballot box don't like.
    When jobs are lost and not replaced, when her people have difficulty in making the rent, when there is little under the tree this Christmas…AOC may find that glamorous magazine covers do her more harm than good and the "You Go Gurl" emails become less and less.

When jobs are lost and not replaced, when her people have difficulty in making the rent, when there is little under the tree this Christmas…AOC may find that glamorous magazine covers do her more harm than good and the "You Go Gurl" emails become less and less.
    What a surprise that you ignored the Wharton report. But, then again, why start examining the facts now after you have invested so much time and effort spewing your disdain for her on this thread?

You must be kidding with this.

Seems like the far left is more obsessed with this airhead that has done nothing to deserve her adulation. She's the dumbest person in DC and has one of the biggest war chests in congress and she has done absolutely nothing positive. She's cute and has charisma…that
    's it (Oh and she lives rent free in our heads. Right.)

And yes, she was elected fairly.

Does she get paid for this……does the emoluments clause kick in. You know, the claise that everyone hammed Trump about for four years.???
    To be fair, you seem more obsessed with her than literally anyone I've ever come across.