Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 132 of 610 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 9139
  1. #1966
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    A place called Paradise
    Posts
    15,194
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    Thatís not necessarily true. Other businesses can still step in. Businesses that would pay full taxes. Thereís still cost benefit analysis to be done. But people saying itís a tax incentive and not addressing that offset are being either disingenuous or ignorant as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well in a sense yes, but there is a reason Amazon was getting these incentives
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

  2. #1967
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,393
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Your point is just weak so there wasn't much to respond to. But if you want, I'll highlight them:

    1) Of course Virginia offered less incentives.. It's much cheaper to hire talent in Virginia. Those jobs aren't going to be $150k jobs that Amazon said were on average what was to be paid for workers in their NY HQ. When Amazon pays employees $150,000, they do so because they have to offset the tax for the workers. NY charges an insane amount of taxes relative to Virginia. Living expenses are not even comparable. You have a better chance of comparing Virginia to a third world country than to NY. Then we talk about property taxes and all that other fun stuff such as legal fees (higher in NY due to the amount of people being that congested into the area causing any type of disturbance) and you're dealing with a vastly superior market in one of the most expensive locations in NYC.

    2) Which other companies? Wall Street isn't called Wall Street for no reason. NYC is known as the Financial Capital of the world because it attracts the best in that field. The reason Sillicon Valley has had a gridlock on many tech talent is because they are in high demand and it's easier for tech companies to hire via from other companies or local talent due to the amount of people specifically getting computer science degrees to work for these tech companies. People in NY aren't studying computer science. If you have noticed, there aren't many great schools for that in NY. Why? Because it doesn't make sense locally. Meanwhile, California has an abundance. Coincidence? Similarly, Amazon coming here would mean talent attracts talent. Companies would follow suit because more people in the tech field would exist around NY locally and academically. It becomes a culture shift. Use the California Gold Rush for reference. You go to where everyone else is and Amazon would most definitely have set precedent. Which businesses are you referring to? Because that's all assumptions.

    3) Corporate welfare? This is hardly that example. Used in the wrong context, you can manipulate anything as corporate welfare. Both sides can benefit from this. Amazon wants to take on less risk and the tax incentive would allow them to take less of a burden initially so they can focus more on reinvesting into their business. You also have to define what exactly corporate welfare is in general. Must you know, states were BIDDING for Amazon. They bid because they see the value it can bring (when it is not corruption-based). I'm sure Amazon has lobbyists but that really doesn't apply here. They aren't asking for cash up-front nor are they asking for tax incentives for their wealthy. They are asking for a tax incentive that would allow them to recover their initial investment to construct the building. You know, the building that will cost billions? Forget about just states bidding on Amazon. COUNTRIES are bidding on Amazon. And that's what you seem to forget. It isn't corporate welfare as much as it is a business transaction in which both sides win. It seems you just package any incentive a company gets and call that welfare without realizing that this happens in the real world with individuals, poor or rich. Business is business.



    Both your points are assumptions. Amazon coming here was a huge deal and would help NYC. The arguments against it simply does not outweigh the rewards from it. You keep assuming these things. Where are the companies that are coming to NYC from the tech sector? Hoping is different from actual results. Amazon is a huge player and would have attracted other talent, period. Anything of the contrary doesn't help your case here. Assuming other companies will always come at the same magnitude is a lie. It's why this made national headlines. Because Amazon coming into NYC is a HUGE deal. And we blew this one.
    1). No youíre once again wrong (unsurprisingly).

    Comparing Crystal City Va is not closer to comparing a third world country than to NY. NoVa has 3 of the 5 wealthiest counties or something along those lines.

    The jobs being offered are supposed to be in the relative same range.

    If anything, there was more competition for the area leading it to needing to offer less incentives (I.e. google and others as mentioned prior).

    2). Your whole point in two are wild assumptions of anything. Who cares that they are tech people. As youíre saying the tech people would be transplants anyways. My point is, and still is that the idea that tax revenue just wouldnít exist is crazy, the spots where amazon would go will likely be taken by some other companies. You have to make some assumptions as to how much and what the pay for those companies would be. But itís not something you can isolate as much as you are trying to make it out to be. Even if the net benefit is still to the area (which it likely will be and I never disputed).

    3). You are spinning what corporate welfare is. Nothing is being manipulated. Itís corporate welfare plain and simple. We all know how the process works.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  3. #1968
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    A place called Paradise
    Posts
    15,194
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    1). No youíre once again wrong (unsurprisingly).

    Comparing Crystal City Va is not closer to comparing a third world country than to NY. NoVa has 3 of the 5 wealthiest counties or something along those lines.

    The jobs being offered are supposed to be in the relative same range.

    If anything, there was more competition for the area leading it to needing to offer less incentives (I.e. google and others as mentioned prior).

    2). Your whole point in two are wild assumptions of anything. Who cares that they are tech people. As youíre saying the tech people would be transplants anyways. My point is, and still is that the idea that tax revenue just wouldnít exist is crazy, the spots where amazon would go will likely be taken by some other companies. You have to make some assumptions as to how much and what the pay for those companies would be. But itís not something you can isolate as much as you are trying to make it out to be. Even if the net benefit is still to the area (which it likely will be and I never disputed).

    3). You are spinning what corporate welfare is. Nothing is being manipulated. Itís corporate welfare plain and simple. We all know how the process works.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't even see the argument, but I love when people do this. I'll put up the wealth on either side of the Potomac against any area in the U.S.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

  4. #1969
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,203
    I have not done due diligence on this news report. ó I donít know much about the ITEP ó but it would appear that Amazon is paying zero in federal taxes in 2018.

    https://www.truthdig.com/articles/am...xes-this-year/

    Donít get me wrong, Iím sure all of this is legal ó a situation probably relatively easy to accomplish when itís your toadies making the laws.

    Time to break up some of these monopolies.
    Last edited by Crovash; 02-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.

  5. #1970
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I have not done due diligence on this news report. ó I donít know much about the ITEP ó but it would appear that Amazon is paying zero in federal taxes in 2018.

    https://www.truthdig.com/articles/am...xes-this-year/

    Donít get me wrong, Iím sure all of this is legal ó a situation probably relatively easy to accomplish when itís your toadies making the laws.

    Time to break up some of these monopolies.
    Amazon is a monopoly? I'm fine with restricting or eliminating the rate deals Amazon gets from the government, but I don't see how they are a monopoly, particularly when you consider Walmart.com being a direct competitor and hardly a small fish.

    Just assign 1000 government auditors to spend all their time harassing Amazon to make sure they follow every law and pay every penny they owe.

  6. #1971
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Amazon is a monopoly? I'm fine with restricting or eliminating the rate deals Amazon gets from the government, but I don't see how they are a monopoly, particularly when you consider Walmart.com being a direct competitor and hardly a small fish.

    Just assign 1000 government auditors to spend all their time harassing Amazon to make sure they follow every law and pay every penny they owe.
    You just donít get it, do you?

    Amazon doesnít owe anything. Thatís the point. Itís perfectly legal. You can throw a million auditors at them, but thereís nothing to investigate. The laws are on their side because their toadies made the laws in their favor (itís called the tax cut).

  7. #1972
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    You just donít get it, do you?

    Amazon doesnít owe anything. Thatís the point. Itís perfectly legal. You can throw a million auditors at them, but thereís nothing to investigate. The laws are on their side because their toadies made the laws in their favor (itís called the tax cut).
    I get that, what I don't get is where they are a monopoly.

  8. #1973
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19,138
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I get that, what I don't get is where they are a monopoly.
    They aren't... they're just more innovative than any other company. I don't think he knows what monopoly means.

  9. #1974
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I get that, what I don't get is where they are a monopoly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    They aren't... they're just more innovative than any other company. I don't think he knows what monopoly means.
    You are both correct, and I fully retract that part of my statement. Amazon is not a monopoly.

  10. #1975
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    110,097
    Very few people really know what a Monopoly is.

  11. #1976
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    31,818
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Very few people really know what a Monopoly is.
    it's a board game from Parker Brothers.

    fun fact, monopoly board games helped with POW in World War II.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...war-ii/266996/

    How Monopoly Games Helped Allied POWs Escape During World War II






    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

    https://www.dailywire.com/news/43589...-ryan-saavedra

    Ocasio-Cortez Doesn't Understand Difference Between Berlin Wall, Border Wall
    Democratic socialist Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) suggested late last week that she does not understand the difference between the Berlin Wall and President Donald Trump's proposed border wall.

    During an Instagram live video on Friday, the freshman congresswoman said that she thought the wall was a "moral abomination. I think it's like the Berlin Wall."

    That Ocasio-Cortez thinks the border wall is "like the Berlin Wall" suggests she knows very little about history and concepts of border security. Former senior official at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Matt Mayer explains why comparisons between Trump's wall and the Berlin Wall are nonsensical and insulting for those oppressed in East Germany:



    The goal of the Berlin Wall: stop East Germans from escaping to West Germany, as roughly three million did from the end of World War II until the wall was built. It divided Berlin for twenty-eight years. In many ways, the Berlin Wall served as a prison wall for East Germans. At least 139 people died at the Berlin Wall. It is hard to believe it has been gone for nearly as long as it was up.

    Too often, Americans use the Berlin Wall in the debate over expanding the wall on our border with Mexico. Not only does this usage cheapen the history of the Berlin Wall, it is a terrible analogy. The goal of America's border wall is to keep people and contraband from illegally coming in to the United States, not to prevent Americans from escaping. Unlike with the Berlin Wall, the use of force on the border is significantly restricted by law, including when engaging with violent and well-armed Mexican drug cartels.


    "Let's say you love the wall, let's say you want it, point is, it's wrong to hold people's paychecks hostage for it and if you want your wall so bad, go out and convince the American people because 70% of America thinks this is the dumbest idea ever and it's not my problem that the majority of the American public thinks it's a scam, a sham, a monument to white supremacy," Ocasio-Cortez continued. "It's not my fault, not my fault."

    Ocasio-Cortez's assertion that 70% of America thinks that a border wall is "the dumbest idea ever," is factually false. Ocasio-Cortez is most likely referring to a January 2019 report from PEW Research that stated that 70% of Democrats say that a wall "would not have much impact on illegal immigration into the U.S."



    During a Sunday interview on Fox News, Senior White House official Stephen Miller debunked the notion that a border wall will do little in terms of stopping drugs that come from Mexico.

    "I understand that, but 80 to 90 percent of those drugs, don't come across in unfenced areas, they come from ports of entry," Fox News host Chris Wallace said. "Those are your own Customs and Border Patrol numbers."

    "But, Chris, the problem with the statement that you're apprehending 80 to 90 percent of the drugs at the ports of entry, that's like saying, you apprehend most contraband at TSA checkpoints at airports," Miller responded. "You apprehend the contraband there because that's where you have the people. That's where you have the screeners."

    "I assure you, if we had people at that same density and screeners at that same density across every single inch and mile of the southern border, you'd have more drugs interdicted in those areas," Miller continued. "You don't know what you don't know and you don't catch what you don't catch. But as a matter of national security, you cannot have uncontrolled, unsecured areas of the border where people can pour in undetected."

    Partial transcript of Ocasio-Cortez's Instagram live video:



    But this wall man, I can't fund it. I cannot, I cannot, vote for a wall. I can't, I can't do it. I can't do it. And especially for my community back at home it's, it's 50% immigrant and most of us if we're not immigrant we're first-generation. And, and, you know it's not to slight those that that voted YES on the wall because it's actually, sorry ó it's not they were not voting for the wall, let me make that very clear, they were not voting for the wall ó but what's happening is that the Republicans are creating a hostage situation where they're holding everyone's paychecks unless they get more money for, for, a wall.

    These two things should not be tied at all, like no matter how you feel about the wall, you know I think it's a moral abomination. I think it's like the Berlin wall. I think it's like any other wall that is designed to separate human beings and block out people who are running away from humanitarian disaster. It's like one of the I just think it's wrong. But you know what? Let's say you love the wall, let's say you want it, point is, it's wrong to hold people's paychecks hostage for it and if you want your wall so bad, go out and convince the American people because 70% of America thinks this is the dumbest idea ever and it's not my problem that the majority of the American public thinks it's a scam, a sham, a monument to white supremacy. It's not my fault, not my fault. So, if you want a wall, go out and campaign on it, go out try to convince your neighbors of it.


    AOC doesn't understand. I'm not surprised.

    AOC actually believes that a wall is monument to white supremacy. is she aware that there is already a wall in places? like other Democrats and Liberal media they keep talking about this is about immigration in general. it's not. the issue is illegal vs legal. wanting a physical barrier does nothing against legal immigration.


    Į\_(ツ)_/Į

    a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome


  12. #1977
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    111,698
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Heh, you and I both know why the 7 train is exploding in terms of how crowded it is.. A large Hispanic population in that area. And no disrespect but my cousin lives in Jackson Heights and I know it sounds discriminatory but they are very rude on the trains and constantly shove. I can't imagine taking the 7 train. Good thing it is a ten minute drive from where I live.
    This is ********.

    Everybody is ****ing rude in the subways and push, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians. I have issues with all ethnic groups down there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #1978
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    72,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This is ********.

    Everybody is ****ing rude in the subways and push, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians. I have issues with all ethnic groups down there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone in NY is an *******
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  14. #1979
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,115
    I don't think Amazon technically makes a profit because they reinvest all their money. It's a crazy business model.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  15. #1980
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,707
    Amazon is becoming a monopoly, take the acquisition of Whole Foods for example.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •