Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Mvp?

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I love ya man but to be fair your first post in that sequence was that "javy's immeasurable intangibles keeps him rated lower than he actually is."

I would think bringing that up in a MVP discussion thread would indicate you feel he should be more deserving of the award because of the aforementioned intangibles.

Personally, I think you can say intangibles to just about every player so saying one's is more than the other (not saying you said this part) will and should just fall on deaf ears.
    I'll admit, that seems fair.

I meant it was hard to rate Javy because he does so much that doesn't necessarily show up in how one would rate him, MVP discussion aside.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    When did anyone ever say that Javy gets bonus points? When did anything about “intangibles” being part of the MVP discussion take place? Talk about putting words in people’s mouths.

Javy is in the mvp discussion, as the thread indicates.

But yeah, keep trying to backtrack.
    Oh, I'm the one backtracking? Da **** outta here.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I'll admit, that seems fair.

I meant it was hard to rate Javy because he does so much that doesn't necessarily show up in how one would rate him, MVP discussion aside.
    MVP discussion aside....in the MVP discussion thread. Yeah, sure. Keep backtracking indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    MVP discussion aside....in the MVP discussion thread. Yeah, sure. Keep backtracking indeed.
    Yeah, we can just agree to ignore each other.

#SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

I'll take that as a white flag and continue responding to you when I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'll take that as a white flag and continue responding to you when I feel like it.
    Sounds trollish, makes sense.

#SBCHAMPS

#FreeGreenMonster

Y'all are exhausting.

And that's coming from me.

Let's just all be friends and agree it's Betts and Carpenter. But mostly Betts, who cares about the NL

Sounds trollish, makes sense.
    Neat-o.

I'd say this is still Carpenter's to lose, and the team storming back into the playoff hunt (even if the fall short) should satisfy the arguments about a player coming from a playoff caliber team.

The two guys that have shot up into the discussion this week are Goldie and Freeman.

Freeman had a 242 wRC+ over the last week, Goldie has a 193 wRC+ so far this month.

Carpenter still holds the league lead in wRC+ at 159, second is now Freeman at 149, followed by Aguilar and Suarez at 148, then Goldie at 147

Arenado is down at 142, then Nimmo at 139, Yelich at 137, Markakis is at 136. Baez is 13th, he won't win being 13th, he won't even get top 5 votes.

Carpenter is ahead by 10 points, but he is a 1B/3B. Freeman is a 1B, so he has the advantage over Freeman with the better bat and PA at third. Suarez won't get enough consideration being on Cincy, plus I don't know if anyone has realized what sort of year he is having. But it's been damn good.
    Aguilar might get some attention as well, but he, like Freeman is also a 1B, and that puts him squarely behind Carpenter, plus he's 100 PA behind as well.

Goldie, same issue as Freeman.

Arenado is the first good hitter that also plays third (Carpenter's 50% position), and he plays it well. But he is 16 wRC+ behind Carpenter, and a full 1.00 WPA (Carpenter leads the NL) behind Carp.

Yelich, Nimmo, Markakis, Baez, Harper, etc are all too far behind offensively to justify the defensive advantages. Realmuto would be the only surprise. As a catcher, if he could catch fire, he could make it an argument, though, again, PA are an issue.

I do think Freeman, Goldie, and Harper could catch fire enough to make it a real struggle for Carpenter to hold on. He'll need to finish over 160 wRC+ I feel (that caliber slash and HR) to have a shot. Too many other good hitters on the list that have stronger reputations.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; Today at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    If carpenter was in the AL, despite how good he’s been, would he even land in the top 5 in voting? Really seems like the disparity in talent between both leagues is about as big as it’s ever been this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He'd be fighting Lindor for the 5th spot, and is the clear leader in the NL.

It's that big of a separator right now.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324