Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the best 8th overall pick of all-time?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robert Parish

9 32.14%
  • Jack Sikma

0 0%
  • Detlef Schrempf

2 7.14%
  • Andre Miller

0 0%
  • Sam Jones

0 0%
  • Tom Chambers

0 0%
  • Jack Twyman

0 0%
  • Willis Reed

16 57.14%
  • Ron Harper

0 0%
  • Jamal Crawford

0 0%
  • Calvin Natt

0 0%
  • Tom Sanders

0 0%
  • Terry Dischinger

0 0%
  • Brian Grant

0 0%
  • Rudy Gay

1 3.57%
  • Vin Baker

0 0%
  • Olden Polynice

0 0%
  • Kerry Kittles

0 0%
  • Larry Hughes

0 0%
  • Channing Frye

0 0%
  • Al-Farouq Aminu

0 0%
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

0 0%
  • Nik Stauskas

0 0%
  • Stanley Johnson

0 0%
  • Terrence Ross

0 0%
  • Jordan Hill

0 0%
  • Marquese Chriss

0 0%
  • Brandon Knight

0 0%
  • T.J. Ford

0 0%
  • Other - Please Specify

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who is the best 8th Overall Pick of All-time?

Our current draft

9. Dirk Nowitzki - Bucks (traded to Mavs) - 1998
    10. Paul Pierce - Celtics - 1998
    11. Reggie Miller - Pacers - 1987
    12. Julius Erving - Bucks (but played in ABA) - 1972
    13. Kobe Bryant - Hornets (traded to Lakers) - 1996
    14. Clyde Drexler - Blazers - 1983
    15. Steve Nash - Suns - 1996
    16. John Stockton - Jazz - 1984
    17. Shawn Kemp - Sonics/Thunder - 1989
    18. Joe Dumars - Pistons - 1985
    19. Tiny Archibald - Royals/Kings - 1970
    20. Larry Nance - Suns - 1981
    21. Michael Finley - Suns - 1995
    22. Norm Nixon - Lakers - 1977
    23. Alex English - Bucks - 1976
    24. Sam Cassell - Rockets - 1993
    25. Mark Price - Mavs (traded to Cavs) - 1986
    26. Vlade Divac - Lakers - 1989
    27. Dennis Rodman - Pistons - 1986
    28. Tony Parker - Spurs - 2001
    29. Dennis Johnson - Sonics - 1976
    30. Jimmy Butler - Bulls - 2011

https://www.basketball-reference.com...l=&order_by=ws

Some notable picks

Robert Parish
    Jack Sikma
    Detlef Schrempf
    Andre Miller
    Sam Jones
    Tom Chambers
    Jack Twyman
    Willis Reed
    Ron Harper
    Jamal Crawford
    Calvin Natt
    Tom Sanders
    Rudy Gay
    Terry Dischinger
    Brian Grant
    Vin Baker
    Olden Polynice
    Kerry Kittles
    Channing Frye
    Larry Hughes
    Brendan Wright
    Al-Faroug Aminu
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
    Terrence Ross
    Stanley Johnson
    Jordan Hill
    Nik Stauskas

I'm leaving this one up for a bit, since this should be a good debate.

Iím torn between Parrish and Andre Miller. I believe Miller is very underrated and he hasnít been in an ideal situation like Parrish was. But based on the old heads that saw those mid-80s Celtics teams, they say he was a hell of a player and I donít think Iíve heard anyone refer to Miller that way.

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    Iím torn between Parrish and Andre Miller. I believe Miller is very underrated and he hasnít been in an ideal situation like Parrish was. But based on the old heads that saw those mid-80s Celtics teams, they say he was a hell of a player and I donít think Iíve heard anyone refer to Miller that way.
    Andre Miller? Are you kidding me? He wouldn't crack my top 6 on this list. The only thing Miller has on these guys is that he was consistent and played for a really, really long time. Parish, Reed, Jones, Sikma, Schrempf and Chambers were all vastly superior players in their primes. We're talking about guys who went to multiple All-Star games and in many cases were All-NBA guys and key contributors to NBA championships.

I don't mean to belittle you, but you should seriously do a little reading on the history of the NBA. Anybody with even a basic knowledge of the league's history would not even bring up Andre Miller's name in this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

2x Final MVP, regular season MVP, 7 time all star Willis Reed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing:32469260

Yea this is a no brainer. Willis Reed

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

The argument has to be between Robert Parish, Sam Jones and Willis Reed. All three guys were perennial All-Stars and All-NBA guys who contributed to multiple championships and whose numbers still stack up damn well today despite playing in primarily the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Parish vs. Reed is a fantastic peak vs. longevity debate. Parish holds the record for NBA games played and is top 25-30 in just a ton of career statistics. He won three titles on the 80s Celtics teams and consistently put up 17-19 points and 10 rebounds for a full decade. BUT he's historically known as the third best Celtic from those teams behind Bird and McHale (and the numbers back that up) and only cracked two All-NBA teams in 20+ years.

Meanwhile, Reed was a 5-time All-NBA guy despite his career being less than half as long as Parish. And in that time he won an MVP and two Finals MVPs while helping will the Knicks to their only two championships. You could argue that Frazier was the better Knick, but Reed was an elite two-way player who posted essentially 20/13 for five straight seasons, and I've got to give him the edge over Parish. It's unfortunate for Parish in these all-time conversations that he happened to play across the two eras with the most elite centers in NBA history (80s and 90s) and that he played with two better players at the height his career. But you could argue that if he had been the No. 1 on a lesser team and not won all those titles, maybe he doesn't pop up in these conversations at all.

Then there's Sam Jones. It's harder to judge where he fits in this conversation. Like Reed, he had a shorter career with probably a stronger peak statistically than Parish and was known for being a good two-way player with a reputation for being clutch in big games. But like Parish, he's historically been in the background of those 60s Celtics teams, generally considered the second greatest Celtic of that era behind Russell and arguably even behind Hondo. One thing I'll say for Jones is that he actually led the Celtics several seasons, and his advanced numbers are arguably a little better than Reed. But I have a harder time taking advanced numbers at face value between eras, and I'd prefer to judge players by how they were compared to their peers at the time.

Jones was never the best player on the Celtics or considered the greatest player of his era in any given season, so I can't rank him ahead of Reed. But he also doesn't have the insane length and consistency of Parish's career, so I don't feel like I can rank him ahead of Parish either. Third seems fair for Jones, but you could honestly make a really strong case for any of those three guys.

Behind those three, I'd probably rank Sikma and Schrempf at 4th and 5th, respectively. Sikma gets like no respect in these conversations, but he was a damn solid all-around player, an elite defender in his era and arguably the best player on a championship team: the 78-79 Sonics.

Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    ...said the two Knicks fans.

I obviously agree, but I don't think it's as much of a "no-brainer" as you do, KOB.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone:32469278
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

...said the two Knicks fans.

I obviously agree, but I don't think it's as much of a "no-brainer" as you do, KOB.
    We don't often get to be the arrogant ones. Give us this one.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

In 15 years, we will be saying: Collin Sexton.
    The Baker is coming.

We don't often get to be the arrogant ones. Give us this one.
    Taking Parish over Reed. Bigger, better numbers, played in a better league, more longevity...

If Rudy Gay had been in a better situation I think he'd be at the top of this list actually. Gay is very underrated. He could've easily been the third best player on a dynasty a la James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Chris Bosh, or Klay Thompson.

So many players owe their legacy to luck. And so many players that are superior to their counterparts get forgotten because they had bad luck... T Mac, Grant Hill, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber. Seriously, imagine if the 76ers would've got the #1 instead of the #2. There was such a big drop off. They would've had Iverson and Tim Duncan for their entire careers. Iverson would easily go down as a top 5 PG all time in that scenario... easily!

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonHawke View Post
    Taking Parish over Reed. Bigger, better numbers, played in a better league, more longevity...
    Better numbers? How do you figure? Reed posted five straight seasons of at least 20.8 points and 13.2 rebounds per game. In 21 years, Parish's best season was 19.9 and 10.8. Parish's advanced numbers are a little better, but it's kind of hard to compare those stats across 20 years, especially considering a lot of the stats that go into those numbers weren't tracked in the 60s.

Then you factor in defense, and it's no contest. Reed was the superior defender. AND the guy has an MVP and two Finals MVPs. If you want to use longevity as your argument, OK I guess. But you can't possibly use prime production as your reasoning. There's no argument to be made there at all.

If Rudy Gay had been in a better situation I think he'd be at the top of this list actually. Gay is very underrated. He could've easily been the third best player on a dynasty a la James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Chris Bosh, or Klay Thompson.

So many players owe their legacy to luck. And so many players that are superior to their counterparts get forgotten because they had bad luck... T Mac, Grant Hill, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber. Seriously, imagine if the 76ers would've got the #1 instead of the #2. There was such a big drop off. They would've had Iverson and Tim Duncan for their entire careers. Iverson would easily go down as a top 5 PG all time in that scenario... easily!
    No. Rudy Gay sucked. Period. The dude is a volume scorer and a chucker who didn't do very much else at a high level and never made a single All-Star game. Maybe on a winning team he might have had a chance as a No. 3 type on a contender, but he was never efficient enough or versatile enough to be a true No. 1 in the NBA. There's nothing wrong with just being a very good player, and that's all Gay is/was.

lol at Robert Parish... a very good player who benefitted unbelievably playing alongside Bird/McHale..

Easily one of the most overrated players of the 80s...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    lol at Robert Parish... a very good player who benefitted unbelievably playing alongside Bird/McHale..

Easily one of the most overrated players of the 80s...
    But this is a 3 man race between Chief, Reed and Sam Jones who all benefited greatly from playing alongside 3 or more HOFers. We cant disqualify these guys just for that, that leaves us with Andre Miller lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    In 15 years, we will be saying: Collin Sexton.
    Clippers legend Collin Sexton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast