Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 112
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,202

    Is New York City headed for basketball relevancy in 2019?

    Mark Schanowski, a sportscaster for NBC Sports Chicago, was recently talking about Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving potentially teaming up on the Knicks or Nets. Bulls reporter Vincent Goodwill added that a third, unnamed superstar could join them.
    New York City's obviously a huge market with two underperforming teams led by comically bad owners. But could 2019 be the summer one (or both) of them gains relevancy? Could someone like Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant be that third guy interested in being someone who makes the Big Apple a good basketball city again?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    70
    Yup. Knicks and Lakeshow finals coming up in a few years

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    406
    I don't know, the Knicks shoulda did what the Sixers did for 4 years or so.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    32,700
    Looks like it. Hard to imagine they won’t land someone notable next year. Key for them IMO is to just spend smart if they don’t get the Kyrie/KD/Butlers of the world. Don’t blow it on a guy like Kemba Walker who won’t get them where they’re trying to go. Be patient.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,463
    It's good for everyone if the Knicks/Nets/Lakers/Clippers/Bulls are relevant. Some of those front offices can't be trusted not to eff it up though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    32,700
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustJoseph View Post
    I don't know, the Knicks shoulda did what the Sixers did for 4 years or so.
    That’s very difficult to do. Not everyone is fortunate (unfortunate?) enough to draft players who get hurt but then are still great picks. If instead of being hurt for 3 years Embiid was a hot from the start like KP has been for the Knicks the 76ers would have never been in position for Simmons. And if Simmons didn’t then miss a year then they wouldn’t have been in position to get Fultz’ upside onbthe roster. PHIs strategy wasn’t really unique at all - they just embraced marketing that they’ve tanking instead of denying it. What made their “process” special and unique was those weird injuries that let them draft great players but still suck and not improve by drafting them.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,373
    Still a believe the teams that meander the wheel mediocrity are usual suspects in this league. Zero faith in neither of NYK or CHI management.

    There's a better chance Brooklyn becomes relevant via FA than the Knicks. Bad ownerships/bad management teams.

    Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    10,683
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Looks like it. Hard to imagine they won’t land someone notable next year. Key for them IMO is to just spend smart if they don’t get the Kyrie/KD/Butlers of the world. Don’t blow it on a guy like Kemba Walker who won’t get them where they’re trying to go. Be patient.
    I dunno. It's very hard for me to imagine them landing anyone of note.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,558
    It's going to be really funny when nobody goes to the Knicks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    6,692
    nah i doubt it

    #FreeYagyu And CSSTL

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    32,700
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    That’s very difficult to do. Not everyone is fortunate (unfortunate?) enough to draft players who get hurt but then are still great picks. If instead of being hurt for 3 years Embiid was a hot from the start like KP has been for the Knicks the 76ers would have never been in position for Simmons. And if Simmons didn’t then miss a year then they wouldn’t have been in position to get Fultz’ upside onbthe roster. PHIs strategy wasn’t really unique at all - they just embraced marketing that they’ve tanking instead of denying it. What made their “process” special and unique was those weird injuries that let them draft great players but still suck and not improve by drafting them.
    I should correct myself here... because of the great trade PHI made with sAC they would still have been able to get Fultz. But the larger point stands. Unless Embiid was a zero for 2 years they wouldn’t have been in position to also land Simmons. And if they didn’t have Simmons right now, would anyone look at PHI the same. It’s silly for people to suggest every team should just “do what PHI did” to land young stars. They did an outstanding job building their team back up, but the high ceiling they have now took some amazing strokes of luck no team should count on replicating.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    It's going to be really funny when nobody goes to the Knicks.
    Their fans think they already have Kyrie + Butler with a 50% chance at KD too lol.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21,962
    It always comes down to ownership and until the Knicks ownership changes (not likely any time soon it seems) free agents will be suspicious.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    27,082
    Feels like 2009 all over again


    Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    long island NY
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    It's good for everyone if the Knicks/Nets/Lakers/Clippers/Bulls are relevant. Some of those front offices can't be trusted not to eff it up though.
    Why? Who cares besides their fan base......which is not the most loyal anyway. Basketball doesn’t automatically become better when these teams are good. This logic Is rediculous.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •