Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Trade Deadline -- Buyers, Sellers or Hold Steady?

The Twins are 7.5 GB of the Indians right now, and have played pretty well over the past couple of week. Should they trade some of their guys that are going to be FAs at the end of the year? Dozier has been mentioned prominantly, as has Eduardo Escobar. Several of the Twins' relievers (the veterans -- Rodney {who became an American citizen today}, Duke) and a couple of starters -- Gibson and Lynn have also been mentioned as possible trade candidates.
    Should they add someone to the offense (The DH spot has not been particularly good, nor has SS), a reliever (they should get a starter soon, Ervin Santana), or should they stand pat?
    Thoughts?

Pretty clear we are official sellers.

My father in law is down and a diehard Twins fan and was bummed about Escobar as many are. Was a great person and having a very good year but as it goes it was the right thing. Was hoping he would bring a bit more but if that was what the market was so be it. Filling the minor leagues with quality and depth is how a small market team like us will stay consistently competitive. Not always fun when we lose guys we like but is the nature of the game. I would expect by Wednesday we have a few more moves....

Steve, I must be like your father in law. I was hoping to keep Escobar also. The team got some talent for him, though.

I think I like the return for Pressley better than the guys the Twins got for Escobar. Alcala was ranked as the Astros #8 prospect and Celestino was #20 according to Baseball America.
    Of the 5 guys the Twins got in these deals, 4 are now in their top 30 prospects from MLB.com.

Zack Duke to the Mariners for RHP Chase DeJong and corner infielder Ryan Costello. Lance Lynn to the Yankees for 1B/OF Tyler Austin and RHP Luis Rijo.
    More depth for the farm system, but some good talent here as well.
    Dozier and Rodney may be leaving before tomorrow's deadline.

Brian Dozier to the Dodgers for Logan Forsythe, LHP Devin Smeltzer and OF/1B Luke Raley. Smeltzer and Raley are both quite a way from the bigs, but Forsythe will step in and take over at 2B. The Twins should be fine there for the rest of the season.