Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kings sign F Nemanja Bjelica -- 3 years/20.5M

The Sacramento Kings are ready to strike a deal.

After a slow start to free agency, NBC Sports California has confirmed that the Kings are in deep discussions with free agent forward Nemanja Bjelica on a two-year contract. Terms are unknown at this time.

News of potential interest between the parties first broke Wednesday afternoon.

Bjelica agreed to a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the Philadelphia 76ers on July 5, but he never signed on the dotted line and informed the team earlier this week of his decision to return to Europe this season.

The 6-foot-10 combo forward spent the last three seasons coming off the bench for the Minnesota Timberwolves. He posted 6.8 points and 4.1 rebounds in 20.5 minutes per game under coach Tom Thibodeau, but his opportunities were limited in the T-Wolves' system.

At 30, Bjelica is older than most of the Kings’ recent targets, but he potentially could fill a glaring hole in the roster as a shooter at both the three and the four. Bjelica split his minutes between both forward positions in Minnesota last season, knocking down a career-best 41.5 percent on 2.7 attempts per game from behind the arc.

There is no word yet on the exact dollar figure offered by the Kings. Sacramento has a whopping $20.5 million in salary-cap space to work with, and the free agent market is nearly dried up.

While four years older, Bjelica compares favorably as a player to the Spurs’ Davis Bertans, who signed a two-year, $14.5 million contract to return to San Antonio earlier this month as a restricted free agent.

According to a source, Sacramento likes Bjelica’s versatility and believes he can eat minutes at small forward this season, as well as shifting over to play the four.
    Source: https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/ki...ct-discussions

Thoughts?

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

He pretty much accepted a one year $4 million contract, I think. So the Bertans reference is a little worrisone. I hope it's not a 4 year $32 million contract... 2 years $10 million and I'm ok with it.

I think we should piggie back on the raptors trade. They now have a backlog of SFs... maybe we should trade for OG.

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    He pretty much accepted a one year $4 million contract, I think. So the Bertans reference is a little worrisone. I hope it's not a 4 year $32 million contract... 2 years $10 million and I'm ok with it.

I think we should piggie back on the raptors trade. They now have a backlog of SFs... maybe we should trade for OG.
    Article states that it is a 2 year contract. I'm assuming it'll be 2 years with a 7.5M AAV.

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

Reading between the lines.

Sixers signed Bjelica to a contract. They don't make it official. Kings contact Bjelica and say if you back out of the contract we will sign you to a better contract. Bjelica announces he has decided he wants to play home to be near family when in reality that is just a excuse to save face for both Bjelica and the Kings.

On to Bjelica. I like Bjelica. He is a very good role player who can fill in as a starter. With the Kings he will likely get 20 plus minutes a game and maybe even starter minutes. When given the chance he can score.

I'm good with this signing. When he became unrestricted I thought it made too much sense.

Wilson Chandler is a better player than Bjelica and the Sixers got a second round pick for taking on his contract. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    Wilson Chandler is a better player than Bjelica and the Sixers got a second round pick for taking on his contract. Just sayin.
    I would hope the Kings could acquire a SF better than Chandler. Kings needed a stretch 4, so either way it would be a good signing. Kings are definitely in a position where they have assets in expiring contracts and big men. Kings aren't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    I would hope the Kings could acquire a SF better than Chandler. Kings needed a stretch 4, so either way it would be a good signing. Kings are definitely in a position where they have assets in expiring contracts and big men. Kings aren't done yet.
    If Wiggins is the next step, Vlade should be sent out of town so fast. Bogi or Buddy would have to go in that deal and Wiggins is not a better player than either of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by imbetterthanyou View Post
    If Wiggins is the next step, Vlade should be sent out of town so fast. Bogi or Buddy would have to go in that deal and Wiggins is not a better player than either of those two.
    Where is Wiggins name coming from? Is that a rumor?

David Pick: The Sacramento Kings and Nemanja Bjelica are in talks of a two-year deal in $13M range with approx $2M guaranteed for the 2019-20 season, according to sources. 23 mins ago – via Twitter IAmDPick
    Not terrible since it has an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    Not terrible since it has an option.
    6.5 M a year with a 2nd year option sounds good to me.

Nemanja Bjelica has agreed to a three-year, $20.5 million deal with the Sacramento Kings, according to Shams Charania of Yahoo! Sports.
    Well, he ditches the 76ers here and he’s not going to Europe. Bjelica reportedly wanted a multi-year deal, so Vlade Divac gets another guy on the rebound today after Yogi Ferrell. Bjelica may play some SF after he proved capable last year, and he gives the Kings much-needed shooting.

Seems like we could have gotten him for a few million less... but not bad.

Bjelica was about to leave country, but gets a call from super Serb Vlade, and inks a deal with us.
    He wanted more years for family security, and got it....let’s hope he plays well and helps out just like Vlade did for him.

I don't watch a lot of Wolves basketball, but $7 million per year for a 30 year old with career averages of 6.8ppg and 4.1rpg seems like a lot. Hopefully he's better than his stats indicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast