Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Luke Heimlich's future

Many/most of you know at least some of the story at this point- top end college pitcher who went undrafted because it came out that, at 15, he was convicted of molesting his 6 yr old niece.

Here's one article about it- https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/s...sex-crime.html

So the question is- is MLB right to thus far blackball him completely?
    He did all he was asked to do including registering as a sex offender until they expunged his record and he was no longer required to. We only know of the story because he had forgotten to update his whereabouts once while traveling with the team.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

MLB hasn't ruled him ineligible right?

So it's up to 30 owners/GMs whether or not they want the guy. If they don't, they're perfectly right, or within their right, not to acquire him. Simple.

If MLB itself was deeming him ineligible to be signed that'd be a different issue but as far as a brief Googling yields, that's not the case. It's unfortunate in that it's possible he didn't do anything, as he seems to have always maintained, but it's also unfortunate that guys spend their entire lives in prison for murders they had nothing to do with - so I can't attest to losing much sleep for the guy who still gets to go on living his everyday life even if no major league team decides to roll the dice on him.

IIRC he is completely eligible and the owners/GMs are in lock-step not bringing him into their organizations. He was able to be drafted by any team each of the last 2 years.

I donít care if he is being blackballed - which I doubt. MLB isnít obligated to give him a deal when already got a prett sweet one that allowed him to miss jail time

Cant force a business to employ someone who would hurt their business.

Call it black balling or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I donít care if he is being blackballed - which I doubt. MLB isnít obligated to give him a deal when already got a prett sweet one that allowed him to miss jail time
    jail time? kid was 15

Quote Originally Posted by deGromFevet View Post
    Cant force a business to employ someone who would hurt their business.

Call it black balling or whatever.
    I don't disagree, however leagues HAVE employed players who've had just as questionable histories as ADULTS.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I don't disagree, however leagues HAVE employed players who've had just as questionable histories as ADULTS.
    This is about kids though. Even murders in prison know child molesters are the lowest of low.

jail time? kid was 15
    Like tfc said, even murderers know that child molesters are the worst of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Like tfc said, even murderers know that child molesters are the worst of the worst.
    And certainly convicted murderers are the epitome of good sense and judgment.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

I don't see a future in MLB for him. Heimlich, will most likely have to play in pro leagues around the world, because I don't see an MLB taking a chance on him.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    And certainly convicted murderers are the epitome of good sense and judgment.
    Even if morally reprehensible scumbags in murderers have a code of ethicsís that condemns pedophilia, shouldnít we automatically feel 100x stronger? Yíknow, since apparently our morals are better.

MLB kicked Josh Hamilton out of the league and he didn't ruin anybody's life but himself. Drugs had him kicked out of the league. He had to apply for reinstatement just to get another chance. That being said, Heimlick is not in the same boat. Teams don't want him and I don't blame them. I get that he has paid his debt to society and I wish him well, but I can't blame a team for not wanting to have that distraction.

True, however crimes are looked at differently in society, right or wrong.

They are even looked at differently based upon who did them and what walk of life you are in.

For instance, that disgrace leah Dunham admits to sexually abusing her younger sister and is allowed to thrive in her chosen profession.

Why she is praised and this kid will never get a shot is because of alot of different factors, even though they did essentially the same thing.

If a high profile team signs him and assigns him to the minor leagues it will be a small story for about a week. If the Yankees signed him(I'm a Yankee fan) I'm not going to stop being a fan. I am torn on this he was 15 and that's an age you should know but I don't know his upbringing if there's more to the story. The other hand he's a child molestor and I want him to suffer.