Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Training camp battles

What's shaping up to be the most interesting training camp battle for your team? Who's involved? What are the possible outcomes and implications?

Hopefully we can keep up with this through camp and preseason.

PROCESSING

Bills positions up for grabs:

QB
    Starting Center
    Starting Right Tackle
    Starting Kick/Punt Returner
    #2 DE
    Starting Nickel CB

Depth CB
    Depth DL
    Depth WR
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Here's a few battles for the Browns:

1. Our LT position - Currently we've moved Shon Coleman to the LT side. The rest of the line are as follows: Bitonio at LG, Tretter at C, Zeitler at RG, Hubbard at RT.

Coleman had his ups and downs as RT last year. Spencer Drango filled in for Joe Thomas when he got injured but he wasn't all that impressive, since he's more comfortable as a guard. We've looked into the possibility of shifting Bitonio (pro bowl alternate) to LT and using Austin Corbett who we drafted in the 2nd round who shows a ton of promise at LG.

Apparently Myles Garrett has been DESTROYING Shon Coleman at LT so far in OTAs and minicamp but I imagine we'll see how things go during training camp and preseason before settling on a lineup.

2. Our WR position - Behind Gordon and Landry we have an interesting battle with Corey Coleman and Antonio Callaway. There's a lot of hype with Callaway with the fact that he's actually a 1st round talent who dropped due to off-the-field issues. Sounds like he has been outperforming CoCo so far and people believe he can beat him for the 3rd spot.

Even after them there will be some interesting battles. Damion Ratley who we drafted is a physical specimen. 6'3 and blazing speed. He'll be battling Jeff Janis, a nice sized vet to have. Rashard Higgins and Ricardo Louis are likely to miss the team, though if I had to keep one it would be Higgins.

3. Our CB position - we are LOADED with average/slightly above-average players here. Denzel Ward looks like a bonafide shut-down corner so far and has done well even against Gordon and Landry in camp. He can guard all sized wideouts. He has to prove it during the regular season but if all goes well he's easily locked to be our #1 CB.

After that, EJ Gaines seems to be slightly above average. TJ Carrie and BBC will be fighting for starting spots, along with dark horse in Terrance Mitchell.

4. Our RBs - we have sort of a 3-headed monster with Hyde, Johnson, and Chubb here. Hyde is rock solid and an upgrade to Isaiah Crowell. Duke Johnson is the play-making man - I read that he had the most yards of ANY RB after making them miss tackles. His catching for a RB is outstanding. Nick Chubb is a bull - he's outperforming both so far this offseason with running the ball.

Based on the fact that Chubb is a rookie, I think our rotation there is pretty obvious. Hyde #1, Duke #2 and our 3rd down/pass-catching back, with Chubb #3 and playing filler for whenever guys need a break or get injured.

There's a lot of smaller battles going on - Njoku looks to have a solid lead on the TE position (I'm hearing he is MUCH improved and we all know he's an athletic freak, so look for him to put up some numbers in an offense where defenses have to focus on Gordon/Landry/Johnson/Taylor) but Darren Fells is great at blocking and Seth Devalve looked decent last year.

Derrick Kindred will battle with Jabrill Peppers but it looks like Peppers will fill in that hybrid safety/linebacker role. Jamie Collins has a lot to prove this year and he better or he'll fall behind Mychal Kendricks, Joe Schobert, and Christian Kirksey. Genard Avery has been GREAT and it looks like he'll see lots of playing time.

The defensive line is pretty set, though we're expecting big things from guys like Larry Ogunjobi and Emmanuel Ogbah.

And that sums up the Browns. 2nd youngest team in the NFL. Lots of talent - some of it unproven. The team could win anywhere from 3 or 4 games to 9 or 10 to be honest.
    The Baker is coming.

A sneaky one would be #2 outside receiver for the Eagles. I think Alshon is the clear cut #1 and Nelly is a pro bowl level slot guy but #2 between Mike Wallace and Backpack Mack Hollins is something not a lot of Eagles fans are talking about.

The return... 2018-19

Since I don't have a favorite team (yeah, I know: ), I will point out one that I find interesting because the interneters who follow the Lions are split 50/50 on who will be the starter: ILB (opposite Jarrad Davis) between Jalen Reeves-Maybin and former Bear Christian Jones. If JRM wins out, Jones can be a solid backup at both ILB and ELB (where Devon Kennard is expected to start) in a scheme that favors a 3-3 big nickel that HC Matt Patricia ran in New England.

A few Raiders battles:

RB2: The Raiders have Lynch as their number 1 running back. The number 2 spot is up for grabs. The battle is between 3rd years' Richard and Washington as well as veteran Doug Martin. As of today seems like Martin has the lead. Richard has punt return value he brings while Washington is a little more natural as a pass catcher out of the backfield. The RB who finishes last in this race will probably themselves without a roster spot.

LT/RT: I combined these two here. Donald Penn has looks like he is fully healthy after getting hurt last year. The other player battling for LT is rookie 1st rounder Kolton Miller. Miller is raw but talented. Miller is the RB of the future but we will see if he can start over the veteran. If Penn wins the LT job Miller could be moved to RT to start but there are some rumors the Raiders dont want to do that and just have him sit behind Penn instead of changing up his stance to learn RT. Now if Raiders dont go Miller at RT that leaves aging Vet Breno, 2nd year David Sharpe, and 3rd round rookie Brandon Parker. Breno has been getting the early snaps but Parker has been flashing early.

DT: Raiders have multiple options for the DT/NT starters. The options are Mario Edwards JR , Justin Ellis, 2nd year Eddie Vanderdoes, and rookies PJ Hall and Maurice Hurst Jr. Raiders will likely rotate these guys but which guys will start and see the most snaps. Edwards has to prove he can be healthy and consistent. Ellis is pretty much only a run stuffer. Last years 3rd round pick Vanderdoes needs to show he has healed from his ACL tear as well as improve in year 2. PJ Hall is very raw but talented and finally Hurst Jr is probably the best out of the group but we all know his concerns. My early guess would be Hurst Jr and Ellis as the initial starters but Hurst and Edwards seeing the most snaps.

Never Forget

Packers have a few somewhat interesting battles.

CB is the big one. Right now Iím assuming Trianon Williams if healthy has a spot, but everyone else is in a battle. Outside of Williams, you have 2nd year Kevin king, rookies josh Jackson and jaire Alexander, veteran davon house, former high pick Quentin Rollins, and a few undrafted guys who played some last year, mainly Lenzy pipkins who showed a little late last year. Realistically, itís probably willams starting at one spot with king, Alexander and Jackson fighting for the 2nd and slot spots. House is most likely insurance in case all the young guys struggle.

SS alongside clinton-dix is open as well. 2nd year josh jones would appear to be the favorite, but Brice played well at times in the past and could win that job as well.

The right side of the OL is still in the air. If bulaga is healthy, heíll be the RT. If heís not, then thatís a real question. RG doesnít have a starter, but I think a lot of packers fans, including myself, think itís probably Justin McCrayís job to lose.

WR 3/4/5 are all questions too. Adams ad Cobb are your #1 and slot options. I wouldnít be surprised if graham spreads out wide often either. But beyond them, thereís 3rd year Geronimo Allison, who has decent chemistry with Rodgers but is a pretty bland athlete. 4th year Trevor davis has shown a glimpse or two at WR had a shot, but probably not likely. And the 3 rookies (jímon Moore, MVS and EQ st brown) can make their mark, but all seem to be projects. And they hadnít Michael Clark, whoís a great athlete as a question mark as well. Iíd think itís allisonís job early but he could be pushed by a young guy later in the year.

Finally RB is a ďbattleĒ as well, but I think itís a hot hand timeshare, so all of them are likely to get snaps unless one of them blows it out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    WR 3/4/5 are all questions too. Adams ad Cobb are your #1 and slot options. I wouldnít be surprised if graham spreads out wide often either. But beyond them, thereís 3rd year Geronimo Allison, who has decent chemistry with Rodgers but is a pretty bland athlete.
    I read that they are using 2-TE sets more often. I was wondering what that meant for Cobb, who is considered much better as a slot guy than outside, but he's too good to only be a passing down player. I'm thinking they will use a 2 x 0 set with Cobb still in the slot with Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis on the same side of the field. Then Geronimo Allison replaces Lewis on passing/third downs. The Patriots did the 2 x 0 as their base set before Aaron Hernandez became the next off-the-field O.J. Simpson, and they still do on some passing downs (when they don't have a third WR on the field). I'm interested in how much GB will do this.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 07-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.

The battle in Minnesota is to keep coaches alive....just a couple days after losing Sparano, Bud Grant's son has lost his battle with cancer.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

For the Steelers thereís a few battles brewing:

ILB - Bostic, Williams, Matikavich all in the mix. All are basically 2 down thumpers so basically itís a 3 for 1 battle. WILDCARD - Matthew Thomas. Immensely talented, but had discipline issues in college.

SS/Nickel LB - Burhe, Burnett, Edmunds, Allen are all battling for this spot and each has their ďleg upĒ. Burhe is a big hitter but most likely just a ST player. Allen has the best ability to play the run, but isnít as good in coverage as the other two. Burnett has the health, Edmunds the inexperience.

FS - Expect Edmunds to get looks here with Sean Davis as the favorite to take this spot.

NCB - Mike Hilton vs Cam Sutton. Cam is far superior in coverage, but Hilton is a better tackler, against the run, and blitzer.

RB2 - James Connor v Steven Ridley. Connor is coming off a torn MCL, but showed at times to unique skill set to play 3 downs. His speed wasnít great but heís still coming back from cancer. Ridley isnít the runner Connor is, but is a little quicker and elusive in space.

SOMETHING TO WATCH -
    The Steelers flipped their OLBs. Last yearWatt was the ROLB and Dupree was the LOLB. This is actually opposite of their college positioning. This year they are flipping them, putting both back to a spot more familiar.

PROCESSING

Training camp battles

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    I read that they are using 2-TE sets more often. I was wondering what that meant for Cobb, who is considered much better as a slot guy than outside, but he's too good to only be a passing down player. I'm thinking they will use a 2 x 0 set with Cobb still in the slot with Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis on the same side of the field. Then Geronimo Allison replaces Lewis on passing/third downs. The Patriots did the 2 x 0 as their base set before Aaron Hernandez became the next off-the-field O.J. Simpson, and they still do on some passing downs (when they don't have a third WR on the field). I'm interested in how much GB will do this.
    Equanimeous St.Brown is a dark horse for them I think... He has all the tools and athleticism to be a star WR, but just couldnít get it going with the revolving door ND had at QB. But he is probably one of the guys Iím most interested to see how he develops. Crazy as it sounds, he has all the physical gifts to be maybe the best receiver out of this draft (unlikely as it may be).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by homie564; 07-25-2018 at 10:22 AM.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    FS - Expect Edmunds to get looks here with Sean Davis as the favorite to take this spot.
    Terrell Edmunds was a big surprise first round pick. The fact that they jumped on him that early shows they are probably playing a 3CB-3S dime for their sub-package even more than last season. Sean Davis adjusting to FS (with Morgan Burnett replacing him at SS) is something to watch. But changing safety spots usually isn't that big a deal, especially if the secondary/safeties coach is a good one.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 07-25-2018 at 10:44 AM.

I actually think graham splits wide on a decent amount of snaps. Start with 2 tight ends to one side with Adams and Cobb in the slot on the other and motion graham out wide. Should help give away a defense and teams sort of treat graham like a wr anyways.

Ideally a 3rd wr emerges and it makes some of those decisions easier, but graham will be listed at tight end but may actually play closer to a true wr than he ever has (which is kinda crazy since his athleticism is declining).

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Equanimeous St.Brown is a dark horse for them I think... He has all the tools and athleticism to be a star WR, but just couldnít get it going with the revolving door ND had at QB. But he is probably one of the guys Iím most interested to see how he develops. Crazy as it sounds, he has all the physical gifts to be maybe the best receiver out of this draft (unlikely as it may be).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many packers fans feel the same way, but Iím not one. Iíve never been a fan of EQ. I think folks get caught too much in the measurables with him. Doesnít play nearly as big as he is and isnít really quick in and out of breaks. Heíll show a few flashes but the routes are usually knda weak. The fact that as a guy who could potentially fall, he didnít do any of the agility drills leading up to the draft make me fear heís simply a straight line type of athlete. Hopefully Iím wrong as a packers fan, but Iíve never been big on him.

Early on Matakavich is taking most the MACK LB snaps for the Steelers (This is the play caller). Bostic and Williams have been switching off with BUCK LB responsibility. They tried a Bostic-Williams MACK-BUCK combo a few times with disastrous results. Burnett and Big Red are alternating calling plays.

Burnett and Davis are the safeties as of now, and neither is exclusively FS or SS. They are sharing responsibility there too. Edmunds and Allen are with the second unit for now.

PROCESSING

Terrell Edmunds was a big surprise first round pick. The fact that they jumped on him that early shows they are probably playing a 3CB-3S dime for their sub-package even more than last season. Sean Davis adjusting to FS (with Morgan Burnett replacing him at SS) is something to watch. But changing safety spots usually isn't that big a deal, especially if the secondary/safeties coach is a good one.
    Quite the surprise for sure. Davis at FS is going to likely be a smooth transition. He was a CB at Maryland and most projected him to FS anyways. Our secondary coach is now Tom Bradley, formally DB/DC at PSU and most recently UCLA.

PROCESSING

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast