Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

76ers Foiled in Their Pursuit of Daryl Morey

By Marc Stein
    July 16, 2018

The Philadelphia 76ers have been rebuffed in an attempt to hire Houston’s Daryl Morey as their new general manager, according to two people familiar with the Sixers’ pursuit.

The Sixers had strong interest in hiring Morey to replace the ousted Bryan Colangelo, but Morey could not be lured away from the franchise with which he has spent the past 12 seasons, according to the people, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation.

A spokesman for the 76ers said Monday night that the team would not comment on the specifics of its general manager search.

Morey was last month voted by his peers as the N.B.A.’s executive of the year for the first time in the wake of Houston’s 65-win campaign.

Morey’s acquisition of Chris Paul in a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers in June 2017 helped establish the Rockets as the league’s primary threat to the dominance of the Golden State Warriors, who have won three championships in the past four seasons.

Morey also received his latest contract extension from the Rockets in June 2017, which at the time extended his deal through the 2021-22 season. But that contract was awarded to Morey by the Rockets’ previous owner, Leslie Alexander, who sold the team to the Houston-based billionaire Tilman Fertitta in September for $2.2 billion, a league record.

The Sixers have been on the hunt for a new head of basketball operations since Colangelo was forced to step down in early June after his wife admitted to operating Twitter accounts that criticized 76ers players and other members of the organization while also defending her husband.

Coach Brett Brown has been serving as the Sixers’ interim head of basketball operations while team officials conduct a search for Colangelo’s full-time replacement.

The Sixers’ interest in an executive as accomplished as Morey is understandable. But their targeting him specifically was met with some surprise around the league Monday night given Morey’s close relationship with the former Sixers g eneral manager Sam Hinkie.

After working under Morey in Houston, Hinkie spent three seasons running the Sixers, stockpiling top draft choices amid an unending stream of losses in a strategy that came to be known as The Process, before abruptly resigning in April 2016 when Philadelphia management wanted him to work in tandem with Colangelo in the same front office.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/s...d=tw-nytsports

A couple of thoughts here:

1. This tells me Morey is happy with the new ownership, and he isn't concerned with Feritta's willingness to spend;

2. Sam Hinkie should be an NBA GM.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

This was legitimately terrifying when I first heard it. The fact that there are teams trying to poach Morey is just a scary thought. But ultimately it was comforting to know that Daryl is happy here and has no desire to leave, even for a team with as much young talent and promise as Philly.

I hope Daryl retires a Rocket. One of the best GMs in all of professional sports.

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Just trust me, Hou wont make it all the way to the WCF 😉
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Houston may make the WCF again, but barring injuries they are no longer a serious threat this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    This was legitimately terrifying when I first heard it. The fact that there are teams trying to poach Morey is just a scary thought. But ultimately it was comforting to know that Daryl is happy here and has no desire to leave, even for a team with as much young talent and promise as Philly.

I hope Daryl retires a Rocket. One of the best GMs in all of professional sports.
    The city of Houston might have the 2 best GMs in their respective sports in Morey and Luhnow. It is a great time to be a Houston sports fan (I have lost much interest in the NFL so I won't even comment on their front office situation as I'm not equipped to formulate a fair opinion).