Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    19,216

    Mike Matheny Fired

    Just reported/confirmed by AP.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9,734
    Finally!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,777
    Thank goodness.... good guy, bad manager

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Thank God!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25,615
    Sell!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bloomington IL
    Posts
    9,777
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Sell!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    5 games against the cubs right after the all star break. They’ll sell if that goes poorly

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Sell!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Still too many games between now and the final week of July, and 7 games against the Cubs.

    They need their playoff probability to be 25% or below to start selling, and even then, it's hard to imagine what assets they could reasonably market away with the teams win now curve.

    Wacha (hurt), Ozuna (playing poorly), Norris (won't be in high demand), Holland (sucks), Wainwright (hurt and sucks) are the guys not under control in 2020 that they could reasonably market, and there wouldn't be enough demand for those guys. And I'm in disagreement with selling assets own under the 2020 season and beyond right now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Just to put into perspective how bad Matheny's bullpen management has been


    This year, the Cards bullpen is 16th in FIP-. About league average

    Yet they are 3rd to last in WPA, because while the bullpen can pitch rather well. He uses guys in awful situations. He throws a ground ball pitcher in with a runner on second and two out, doesn't use the best relievers in high leverage situations, and uses them when the game is out of order.

    Last year?
    11th best FIP-
    18th in WPA




    My biggest problem with Matheny is that he has continued to make the same mistakes he did in 2012, consistently. It was understandable when he was a rookie manager. But he hasn't learned anything from them, and his small ball mentality had to go. Especially when you have a competent front office in constant conflict of what he was doing.

    I can't believe they kept him around so long.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Schildt will be the manager the remainder of the season.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    13,976
    Another good option for the Orioles to consider at years end. I'm a fan of Girardi first, and then Matheny is a good runner-up candidate, though I want to hear more about some of the rumors coming out of the clubhouse and if/how he lost the team that way.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Another good option for the Orioles to consider at years end. I'm a fan of Girardi first, and then Matheny is a good runner-up candidate, though I want to hear more about some of the rumors coming out of the clubhouse and if/how he lost the team that way.
    The problem is, they are all just rumors. Nobody has publicly spoken ill. A reporter got wind that Bud Norris was giving 'tough love' to Jordan Hicks, and Matheny was allowing it. And it was written in a way that suggested that he lost the clubhouse, but it was completely subjective and the writers opinion. Hicks and Norris completely denied the story.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    13,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    The problem is, they are all just rumors. Nobody has publicly spoken ill. A reporter got wind that Bud Norris was giving 'tough love' to Jordan Hicks, and Matheny was allowing it. And it was written in a way that suggested that he lost the clubhouse, but it was completely subjective and the writers opinion. Hicks and Norris completely denied the story.
    I also heard rumors going back to last year that Molina has a lot of influence and that the two of them have been at odds too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I also heard rumors going back to last year that Molina has a lot of influence and that the two of them have been at odds too.
    I'm not sure, but I understand that Molina runs that clubhouse, and has since TLR left.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    13,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I understand that Molina runs that clubhouse, and has since TLR left.
    Talking about making game decisions, including when to take a pitcher out or not. So some of the bullpen issues may be made in deference to Molina, which obviously shouldn't be happening.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    53,064
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Talking about making game decisions, including when to take a pitcher out or not. So some of the bullpen issues may be made in deference to Molina, which obviously shouldn't be happening.
    If that's happening, that's a major problem. And you need a manager who wouldn't let it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •