Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Please reread what I said about getting to YS.
    My point once again is IF somebody wants to go to a game bad enough they will go . No matter the location ( YS ) or traffic concerns ( Trop ) . In this case they don't go because it isn't hockey or football .

Itís not about wanting to go bad enough.

Itís that if itís a pain to get there you will likely not go as much or at all. That stops a lot of people who may not have the determination to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    My point once again is IF somebody wants to go to a game bad enough they will go . No matter the location ( YS ) or traffic concerns ( Trop ) . In this case they don't go because it isn't hockey or football .
    you just dont get it

First Sim League Title!

You obviously have never been there. I can vouch for everything Riv posted. I went to the stadium about 10 years ago. Went to Disney for vacation and me, my wife, father in law and nephew drove from Orlando to go to the game. It was supposed to be 1 1/2 hrs. It took 3. It is a nightmare. The bridge to get there after 5pm is at a standstill and there is no other way to get there from those towns.

The average person works until 5pm. If they live on that side of the bridge it is very difficult to make a 7pm game. Sure if someone was a diehard fan they could leave work early or take the day off or whatever, but not everyone has that luxury. I can agree that I'm not convinced a new stadium wont still end in disaster like the Marlins, but out of the 23 parks I have been to, this is by far the hardest and most pain in the *** to get to.

Montreal will just ignore their new team just like they did with the Expos.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I think they should have put one of the two Florida teams in Orlando. I think it would draw better there. It's a big vacation spot, and I think a lot of dads and their sons that go to Disney for the week would love to take in a game one night. I wish the Marlins would have moved there instead of gotten a new stadium in Miami. It's one of the few that I haven't gone to yet, and will probably be last on my list. The stadium looks lame and I don't have much interest in going to Miami, where as I would go to Orlando again easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Montreal will just ignore their new team just like they did with the Expos.
    I think they would draw if they got a new stadium, but I don't think they should get another team. I would rather see an expansion/relocation to new spots like Portland, Charlotte, etc. I think there is a good chance Montreal will get another team down the line though.

Ballparkís designs are already laid out so Rayís arenít going anywhere.

If they did, BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte makes the most sense, but we are talking about the MLB and Florida here so we should exclude common sense from any argument.

It's silly to think that the Rays just need to be in another city. They haven't actually been given a real shot in Tampa.

I hope this all goes through and that they are competently managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It's silly to think that the Rays just need to be in another city. They haven't actually been given a real shot in Tampa.

I hope this all goes through and that they are competently managed.
    I think they are well managed, just have been stuck in a ****** locale for decades now.

I donít know if being in another state would be much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i deff agree, im still not sure if tampa fans would support the rays because a different number of factors. tampa isnt a "sports" town they are more casual but at least now they have a realistic shot. especially when the yankees/red sox are in town they have a chance to have a real good turn out.

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    You obviously have never been there. I can vouch for everything Riv posted. I went to the stadium about 10 years ago. Went to Disney for vacation and me, my wife, father in law and nephew drove from Orlando to go to the game. It was supposed to be 1 1/2 hrs. It took 3. It is a nightmare. The bridge to get there after 5pm is at a standstill and there is no other way to get there from those towns.

The average person works until 5pm. If they live on that side of the bridge it is very difficult to make a 7pm game. Sure if someone was a diehard fan they could leave work early or take the day off or whatever, but not everyone has that luxury. I can agree that I'm not convinced a new stadium wont still end in disaster like the Marlins, but out of the 23 parks I have been to, this is by far the hardest and most pain in the *** to get to.
    Sorry to disappoint you but yes I have been there a few times. I expect the traffic to be bad. I expect to wait in line like I do at Costco or Walmart. I don't go there and ***** about the traffic. Just makes it worse so I deal with it. I agree its harder for some than others but must be the 8000-9000 that attend feel the same way I do. Then we have Saturday and Sunday games where the work traffic is normally much less. Yes the numbers will improve at first but then it will end up being the same old same old. IMO. As far as moving them to Orlando? I've never been in Florida after June1 st or before Oct 1 st but from what I have seen the snowbirds are all gone and its hot and humid the summer months so I can't imagine familes taking summer vacations especially with small children to Disney . I know they do but the numbers at Disney are much lower in Oct -Nov-Dec but of course no baseball.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    i deff agree, im still not sure if tampa fans would support the rays because a different number of factors. tampa isnt a "sports" town they are more casual but at least now they have a realistic shot. especially when the yankees/red sox are in town they have a chance to have a real good turn out.
    Tampa is a sports town, much more passionate than most cities. It's just that it's a college football town, which is easily the most popular in-stadium sport in America (probably the world, even the biggest soccer matches don't typically draw as many fans as big-time college football, with all the caveats about season length).

That said, Rays TV viewership has always been very good - better than like half the NBA teams or more. I don't live in the area but have been there a lot and a better located + nicer stadium would do wonders I would think. Traffic's bad but that's the same story in many US cities with good attendance for winning teams - Houston, LA, Atlanta, DC, etc.

Sorry to disappoint you but yes I have been there a few times. I expect the traffic to be bad. I expect to wait in line like I do at Costco or Walmart. I don't go there and ***** about the traffic. Just makes it worse so I deal with it. I agree its harder for some than others but must be the 8000-9000 that attend feel the same way I do. Then we have Saturday and Sunday games where the work traffic is normally much less. Yes the numbers will improve at first but then it will end up being the same old same old. IMO. As far as moving them to Orlando? I've never been in Florida after June1 st or before Oct 1 st but from what I have seen the snowbirds are all gone and its hot and humid the summer months so I can't imagine familes taking summer vacations especially with small children to Disney . I know they do but the numbers at Disney are much lower in Oct -Nov-Dec but of course no baseball.
    How do you explain the Bucs and Lightning attendance numbers relative to their leagues then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    How do you explain the Bucs and Lightning attendance numbers relative to their leagues then?
    Good point, they're big on the Lightning in Tampa. Not being a real hockey I can't say why exactly that is but I know they've had some success. I also know their stadium is very accessible compared to the St Pete Trop.

Bucs I think lucked out with their magical team that had Derrick Brooks (the GOAT at his position and in the convo for GOAT defensive player in NFL) and Warren Sapp that were both college stars in Florida. Plus their stadium is way nicer than Jacksonville's, for instance, which is who people usually point out for pro football in Florida - ignoring the Dolphins's steady fanbase in spite of complete ineptitude since Marino retired.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast