Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MLB All-Stars

When the game is just an exhibition (as it should be), I'm totally fine with there needing to be one representative from each team.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

We're not having the best year, but I don't know how Eddie Rosario didn't make it.

I suppose it should be obvious that the manager is going to choose Springer over him despite the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    How many years though can anyone really say that there isn't at least 1 person worthy of going to the All-Star game from each team? The Orioles have won what, 26 games, and there is no doubt Machado deserves to be on the team. Even with the Twins, I could make cases for multiple guys.

Same with last place teams like the Marlins, Royals, Reds, and Padres.

You can always find one representative for the All-Star game. Instead of ripping this rule, start looking in the mirror at the people who vote in the All-Star game and send people like Bryce Harper who is only there on name alone right now pretty much.
    I wasn't ripping the rule, I'm more ripping how it's sometimes implemented. As I said in my next post, I'd MUCH rather see the roster filled with the best talent and THEN fill in EXTRA players if need be to ensure all teams have a rep, even if that means expanding the roster.

I'm a Twins fan- Rosario is undoubtedly deserving, but you could certainly make a case for Escobar as well as Berrios. Royals, yeah you could make a case for Merrifield and Duffy along with Salvy.

As far as the voting, I have ALWAYS thought it ridiculous to let fans vote in starters. But I've also thought it bad form the way some managers use the players they have so some get more playing time than they should while others sometimes barely see the field (and sometimes it's players who possibly should have been starters).
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Aguilar and Segura won the final vote

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Somehow Ross Stripling made it. I would have rather seen Max Muncy in there.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Unless Muncy can pitch, he shouldn't be replacing a pitcher like Stripling is

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Aguilar and Segura won the final vote

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Segura over Simmons, WOW.

Not that this stuff ever means a lot, but it's sad that Matt Carpenter can't get in. 10th in the NL in fWAR, 9th in wRC+. 2nd best hitter in baseball the last two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Not that this stuff ever means a lot, but it's sad that Matt Carpenter can't get in. 10th in the NL in fWAR, 9th in wRC+. 2nd best hitter in baseball the last two months.
    And he was absolutely putrid in April. What's gone on? Using the whole field more/going with the pitch? I ask because I need hope that Rizzo can figure it out as well. He's been disgusting for all but about a 20 game stretch in May.

**** Matt Carpenter.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    And he was absolutely putrid in April. What's gone on? Using the whole field more/going with the pitch? I ask because I need hope that Rizzo can figure it out as well. He's been disgusting for all but about a 20 game stretch in May.
    Exact same approach, horrid luck in April.

I got into an argument in the Cards forum with posters on May 15th who wanted to sit him or trade him. All of the periphs were there for him to break out (not like this of course) suggesting he was the same player he always was and has been.

It was a weird combo. He was getting called for a ton of strikes outside of the zone, and was hitting into some relatively bad luck.

He's gone from under performing his periphs to over performing them now. I'm sure he'll level out to the 130 wRC+ hitter he is.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt...rs-turnaround/

Not making it up either
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...1#post32344461

Rizzo has a 25% LD rate, and while his BB rate is down a tick, he is still crushing the ball. I think more fly balls will turn into home runs and the walks will tick up a bit more still, but that line drive rate is for someone who should have closer to a .280-.300 BABIP (you can calculate his xBABIP if you'd like the exact number)

He really doesn't hit the ball the other way though. 20% of the time is pretty low, but heck, Bryant and Betts are lower.

I would think he'd improve with more time, but the walks and home runs have to come too.

I actually like to compare the two, they are surprisingly similar hitters.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...yers=3473,8090
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 07-14-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345