Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Dante Exum 3yr $33M w/Jazz

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...sion-utah-jazz

Not understanding why they bid against themselves. Are some of the years team options? Too risky IMO and didn't earn that contact at all.

Damn, not bad for a guy who averages 5ppg in his career and played only 24 games last year including the playoffs.

Sunk cost fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by YAALREADYKNO View Post
    Damn, not bad for a guy who averages 5ppg in his career and played only 24 games last year including the playoffs.
    Can't forget the lights out 39% FG , 31% 3PT

now this is exactly what i talked about in the other thread... the jazz are a very good team yet they do something this stupid... this dude is bad and gets 33 mill... alright. There is no upside in this deal at all. This is exactly what I was talking about how overpays are overpays but overpays can be good for bad teams... this move doesnt help the jazz at all.

He's gonna bust out. Guaranteed

The guy didnít do **** and he got 33 million

I don't understand this deal at all. Far better players have gotten worse deals than this. Who was Utah bidding against?

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I don't understand this deal at all. Far better players have gotten worse deals than this. Who was Utah bidding against?
    I'm guessing they are gambling on his potential still because there is no reasoning to this signing.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    I'm guessing they are gambling on his potential still because there is no reasoning to this signing.
    I'm not sure I get what Utah has done so far this summer. They overpaid Favors and then backed it up for an overpay to Batum. Checking out Spotrac, it would appear that Favors deal was made to give them more flexibility next season, when Rubio and Burks come off the books and they might feasibly have cap room. But if that's the case, why give Batum three years? Why not just sign him to a one-year deal or sign some other role playing wing to a more team-friendly deal?

I get that it's a smaller market, so they probably have to pay guys at a premium to keep them at times. But I still think both deals were unnecessary overpays.

Seems like an overpay in terms of long ter commitment. I will say though, I remember as a Celtics fan Bradley and Crowder extensions were planned but then they grew beyond them and they were steals. You always want to maintain flexibility and short term deals helpnthat. But itís long term deals where the player progresses that you really lock inbsurplus value to help build going forward.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Seems like an overpay in terms of long ter commitment. I will say though, I remember as a Celtics fan Bradley and Crowder extensions were planned but then they grew beyond them and they were steals. You always want to maintain flexibility and short term deals helpnthat. But itís long term deals where the player progresses that you really lock inbsurplus value to help build going forward.
    Problem is he would have to grow so much just to break even. Next year I don't predict him as a 12 PPG on good efficiency and at least average defense. For me that's the break even point for a guard on this type of contact.

To put things further in context, Exum will be making the same as teammate Ingles the next 3 years.

Contacts like this are problematic for the league because the next guy says "I definitely deserve more than him". It's that logic comparison that got John Wall $38-$44M per year.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Problem is he would have to grow so much just to break even. Next year I don't predict him as a 12 PPG on good efficiency and at least average defense. For me that's the break even point for a guard on this type of contact.
    Definitely valid concerns. I donít like the deal either. But he was extremely highly touted we have to remember. Heís had a lot of injury problems and I donít think itís unreasonable that they still think he could tap into his ultimate potential (still very young). Jazz are a smart organization and they know him better than anyone having watched him for 4 years on the court and in rehab. So I do give them some benefit of the doubt.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I understand why non fans would see this as such a weird signing, but you have to remember that he is only 22 about to be 23 years old. Also, the Jazz coaches and front office guys really believe that he can be a very good player. per 36 last year he averaged 17.5/6.6/4 on 56.6 ts% and really good defense. I don't think he has to grow that much for this to be a fair deal and if he can stay healthy and play like he did when he was healthy last year this is a good deal for the Jazz. The health if by far the biggest obstacle for him though which you can say both injuries were just fluke injuries, but some people just have a body type that doesn't stay healthy we have to see.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast