Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YungTomat View Post
    My bad, I shouldn't have said "obviously" for Giants on Bryce Harper. But they were in on Stanton, in on Ozuna, in on McCutchen, and finally landed one of the three. The biggest players for Harper should be the Cubs and Yankees, but I personally expect the Giants to keep a very close eye on the market for Harper this offseason.
    I'm not sure where the yankees would play him though.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    And with the Yankees infield set for the foreseeable future, I don't see a home for Machado either. While this team is cost-controlled, they need to invest heavily in SP.

However, Harper has been playing plenty of CF this year, and I could easily see him slotting there for the Yankees and then they have either a valuable trade chip in Hicks, or a fourth OF'er who rotates through everyone. Harper's defense in CF looks to be slightly below average, but his numbers in right look dreadful in comparison. He's having a down year across the board and it's going to cost him a lot of money.

Happ is probably going to be the pitcher with the most attention surrounding him. It would've been deGrom, but the Mets now realize they shouldn't be trading him or Syndergaard. Happ is going to go to a playoff team and you're probably right about it being near the end of July as opposed to soon.
    The Mets have no guarantee that they can win over the next three years with the division coming up the way it is. The best is yet to come for the Phillies and Braves, and the Nationals even without Harper are going to be a team that can compete, especially with their front-line starters. The Mets don't have the farm system either of those teams do, and only have comparable payroll resources which are stretched to the max right now. Trust me as an orioles fan living this awful nightmare now- trade deGrom now. His value only goes down, and the team trading for him has 2.5 years of control and 3 playoff runs with him at the top of the rotation. Add another year for Syndergard onto each of those. Getting these prospects now sets them up great to compete when the Phillies and Braves are coming down and having to pay everyone arbitration and free agency.

With deGrom, the Mets were just looking for a huge package and didn't really care what position the top prospect played at. But, there was a lot of speculation about the Yankees or Brewers (the two teams most involved with deGrom) sending over top infield prospects, so I'd expect the Mets to look for just that with Matz. Not a package, but they might actively be seeking an above average infield prospect.

One possible landing spot for Matz is the Braves for a third base prospect, either Rio Ruiz or Austin Riley. The Rockies could also be looking for a starter like Matz and send over Colton Welker or Garrett Hampson. As for Wheeler, there are more health concerns and a lower ceiling, so I would expect something like a mid-level pitching prospect that could crack the Mets top 10. If I were in charge of the Mets front office, I'd hold on to Wheeler and just trade Matz.
    Wheeler has a higher ceiling than Matz and he is ripping out at 98-99 mph this year. I know Matz has the lower ERA, but Wheeler has actually pitched better.

For either the Mets should ask for a top 100 prospect, but as a Mets fan I rather keep Wheeler as he has higher potential.

Both are injury concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    The Mets have no guarantee that they can win over the next three years with the division coming up the way it is. The best is yet to come for the Phillies and Braves, and the Nationals even without Harper are going to be a team that can compete, especially with their front-line starters. The Mets don't have the farm system either of those teams do, and only have comparable payroll resources which are stretched to the max right now. Trust me as an orioles fan living this awful nightmare now- trade deGrom now. His value only goes down, and the team trading for him has 2.5 years of control and 3 playoff runs with him at the top of the rotation. Add another year for Syndergard onto each of those. Getting these prospects now sets them up great to compete when the Phillies and Braves are coming down and having to pay everyone arbitration and free agency.
    You're absolutely right about the competition in the NL East, that could very well be the best division in all of baseball within the next 3 years (I'd also like to say you're very right about the Orioles sucking all the time...Red Sox fan here lol). I would definitely trade deGrom right now and wouldn't even care who with, whether it's with the Yankees, Brewers, Cubs, or anyone in division. The fact of the matter is the Mets aren't going to be competitive for a while for the division and may not even compete for a Wild Card spot with many other bright futures ahead (Pirates, Cardinals, Rockies, Padres). But I also see the Mets as more willing to keep deGrom and/or Syndergaard and trade the rest of the team that could bring in some prospects. Granted, there really isn't much to offer besides Conforto, Cabrera, Matz, and Wheeler, but they can still bring some prospects over to build on an already decent farm. They may not have another Amed Rosario in the farm, but they have a lot of guys who can contribute without making a ton of noise, like Peter Alonso and Andres Gimenez.

As soon as they acquired Stanton, I figured they weren't going to be interested in Harper anymore, but that doesn't seem very Yankees-like of them to just bow out so easily. And Harper's been taking reps at first, which is a crucial need for the Yankees with such shaky performance from Greg Bird (not to mention all the injuries).

And as a Red Sox fan, I would hate nothing more than Harper going to the Yankees, so I would love if the Yankees didn't want him anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Wheeler has a higher ceiling than Matz and he is ripping out at 98-99 mph this year. I know Matz has the lower ERA, but Wheeler has actually pitched better.

For either the Mets should ask for a top 100 prospect, but as a Mets fan I rather keep Wheeler as he has higher potential.

Both are injury concerns.

I wasn't as interested in prospects and analytics until Wheeler graduated from his prospect status, so I'll side with you in saying Wheeler has a higher ceiling. Nevertheless, both pitchers still hold a lot of promise and both pitch very similar styles (as does most of the Mets pitchers), which is throw fast and throw strikes.

As for the return, the Mets could ask for top 100 talent and might get a few in the lower half. But they shouldn't just make that their only standard and should at least try to navigate their search to a specific part of the field (corner infield is a must). Matz may not have the higher ceiling, but he's going to have a higher trade value because he has two more years of team control before he hits free agency and is a year younger (literally one year, only separated by one day. Which is pretty cool, but irrelevant...)

Barry Bonds had access to...help that other players don't.
    Yet another false statement from ciabatta

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I don't know about "obviously."
    F

I don't know about "obviously."
    Giants beat writers seem to indicate the Giants will be going after Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't think that's so obvious and would be quite surprised if they got Harper or Machado. Neither seem like the type of player the Giants would target in a franchise altering deal.
    They did go hard after Stanton last year so woldnt surprise me if they want hard for Harper. They have the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    Giants beat writers seem to indicate the Giants will be going after Harper.

I would love to be proved wrong.

I would love to be proved wrong.
    Same...Harper going to the Yankees or Cubs would ruin baseball for me.

It looks like Boston is pretending to be interested in MM to drive the price up on the Yankees.

I donít care how good Manny is, heís not worth a top 50 prospect. If he is then the Mets should get 5x as much for Thor or DeGrom. Or at least the same for Wheeler.

He should get roughly the same as JD did last year.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast