Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Trade Deadline Thread

Since we're in July rumors will be picking up. Go ahead and post any rumors, speculation, smaller trades, news, thoughts, and trade proposals that you may have in here. As always, please post with a reputable source. Any notable news deserves its own thread.

Manny is going to be a Phillie, fight me on it.

Obviously, the Phillies are looking towards the future and probably don't want to jeopardize their farm. The Brewers and D-Backs are in a better position to get a rental player, but they're not in nearly as good a position of getting a player of Manny's caliber. The D-Backs hardly have enough prospects to make a package. A D-Backs trade would probably include Robbie Ray or Patrick Corbin as well as Jon Duplantier and Pavin Smith. The last two are the D-Backs only two Top 100 Prospects, and this is for a rental player. But for Manny, that's what it'll take.

I'm not paying the Brewers any attention since they're going to be more focused on getting deGrom or another top shelf starter instead of a top tier third baseman like Manny, especially since he's a rental. Also I don't think the Indians are at all in a position to get Manny. Most of their top prospects are offense, but the Orioles need a young pitcher from this deal, and McKenzie just doesn't fit the bill. The Indians would be stupid to send over Bauer or Clevinger for someone they'll have for a year. And trust me, they're not going to be able to resign Manny if they got him unless it was short-term. They have to consider Lindor and Ramirez more than Manny.

Enter the Phillies. With a struggling shortstop prospect who isn't even playing everyday, J.P. Crawford would be in the deal, and the Phillies should be absolutely fine with that. A good talent at once, Crawford is merely a glove without a bat. His offensive game might come with time, but Kingery is outperforming him for the starting SS job. Vince Velasquez is the perfect pitcher to go over in this deal. The Phillies could get a rental pitcher without giving up any of their top 30 prospects. Marco Estrada and Matt Harvey come to mind. Lastly, Hoskins is performing so well and Haseley isn't doing too bad, both of whom are in the Phillies' future outfield. They can afford to send over Mickey Moniak and another pitching prospect. I'm thinking Adonis Medina. Sixto Sanchez could be in the deal, but then the Phillies should take away Moniak and Medina and just send Crawford, Sanchez, and Velasquez.

If you read all that, thank you. If you doubt me, that's fine, but this just makes sense. I could disprove the Dodgers, Braves, and Yankees (that last one quite easily) if those are the landing spots you think he's going to for some reason.

To add Mannys best friend plays for the Phillies. Will they pony up for 66-67 game rental ?

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    To add Mannys best friend plays for the Phillies. Will they pony up for 66-67 game rental ?
    I forgot to mention this, and I think this part is crucial. The Phillies are in such a weird spot since they shouldn't buy this deadline since this year was unexpected and could fall any day now. But if they don't go and get an upgrade at third/short or in the rotation, they're at risk of missing the postseason. This does, however, put them in a good position as it pertains to Machado.

Let's say the Phillies get him this deadline. They finish the year and either win the division or make it as a wild card (I would put them at WC). A Phillies team with Manny could beat the Cubs, Dodgers, or Nats in a WC game, and honestly, if the Brewers don't get deGrom, the Phillies could beat the Brewers, as well. So if they make a deep postseason run with Manny, he could very well be inclined to sign back with a team that is really only going to go up with a deep farm and young talent already. Nola is going to get better, Hoskins can be one of the best hitters in the league, and Alfaro has a good power ceiling beyond his fielding. So the future the Phillies have could make this more than just a rental, but be a trial run that he might decide to go with long term.

I don't think it'd be wise for the Phillies to give up a ton of talent for Machado at this point.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't think it'd be wise for the Phillies to give up a ton of talent for Machado at this point.
    Unless they think they have a legit shot at extending him... in which case i say f it and go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update...Phillies have come out and said they're out on Manny...

I don't care for the Phillies, but I'd much rather see Manny go there instead of Arizona or Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by YungTomat View Post
    Manny is going to be a Phillie, fight me on it.
    Update...Phillies have come out and said they're out on Manny...
    Lol

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Those comments 7 hours apart lol

You do have to admit though, Phillies do seem like a good fit for Manny

You do have to admit though, Phillies do seem like a good fit for Manny
    They do. Them and dodgers make most sense

Quote Originally Posted by Lincecum4CY View Post
    They do. Them and dodgers make most sense

Honestly the Dodgers to me make the most sense because he's a rental at short and fits that same mold of offense that Seager does too (#2 hitter, hits a good amount of homers, but can drive in runs and put himself in a position to score). The only reason I doubt the Dodgers would go after him is because they have no idea how they're going to play next year. With Kershaw in a potential contract year and having so many health concerns, their window might be too close to being closed to give up the future talent needed for Manny.

But other than that, I thought that's where he was going to end up as soon as Corey went down for the year. The D-Backs and Dodgers might make the Manny race very interesting, being the top two teams in the division and not wanting the other to get him. Could see some huge overpayment (most likely from the Dodgers).

Honestly the Dodgers to me make the most sense because he's a rental at short and fits that same mold of offense that Seager does too (#2 hitter, hits a good amount of homers, but can drive in runs and put himself in a position to score). The only reason I doubt the Dodgers would go after him is because they have no idea how they're going to play next year. With Kershaw in a potential contract year and having so many health concerns, their window might be too close to being closed to give up the future talent needed for Manny.

But other than that, I thought that's where he was going to end up as soon as Corey went down for the year. The D-Backs and Dodgers might make the Manny race very interesting, being the top two teams in the division and not wanting the other to get him. Could see some huge overpayment (most likely from the Dodgers).
    Honestly, he's a rental for the Dodgers. Machado wants to play SS, and Seager is coming back. 3B is filled by Turner. Even if you get Turner to flip to the other side of the infield, Machado wants to play SS despite the horrific pace he is setting to be the worst DRS player in the history of the stat this year. Best to use those resources elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Honestly, he's a rental for the Dodgers. Machado wants to play SS, and Seager is coming back. 3B is filled by Turner. Even if you get Turner to flip to the other side of the infield, Machado wants to play SS despite the horrific pace he is setting to be the worst DRS player in the history of the stat this year. Best to use those resources elsewhere.
    I'd take Corey over Manny in a heartbeat, but this is just a guess at what the Dodgers might do based on what they've done in the past. They're still hot for Dozier and most other second basemen with such awful play from Forsythe. But with Taylor being so versatile and the tight NL West race, not to mention the tight Wild Card race that includes 4 teams (Phillies, Cubs, Dodgers, and Cardinals, with the Rockies and Nats on the verge of competing), the Dodgers have the means and reason to be real aggressive for even a rental. I would trade for Gennett and just keep Taylor at short, but that doesn't seem like a very Dodger-eske move. They paid a lot for a rental last year with Darvish and they can easily do it again with Manny this year.

As for the defense, Turner has played second before. I wouldn't recommend him moving back for the remainder of the year, but if the Dodgers want to have him play at third instead of short, that's a possibility. Also Dave Roberts doesn't seem like the man to disregard performance issues, so I think he'll try to avoid putting Manny at short before placing him there ultimately.

I think Manny will eventually be a Philly, been saying this for a while. Although, I think itís more likely he becomes one in the offseason. I think Arizona or LA will get him during the deadline though. Heíd be a good fill in for Seager, too bad he sucks at shortstop.

I also wanted to ask though, what could Matz or Wheeler get in a trade? Mets arenít likely to move deGrom or Syndergaard during the deadline at least

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast