Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 380 of 400 FirstFirst ... 280330370378379380381382390 ... LastLast
Results 5,686 to 5,700 of 5999
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Again, I never said they shouldn't collect fines. I want to remove the incentive for the police beyond just doing their job.
    well, I'd agree that's different.....you're suggesting fines collected go into the city's general fund like other various revenue sources like license fees, etc...I think that used to be more the case in a lot of cities, but over the years there's so many different variations of departments needing to justify their own existence by generating their own revenue
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Again, I never said they shouldn't collect fines. I want to remove the incentive for the police beyond just doing their job.

And you are talking about quotas and they are generally illegal, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. They absolutely do happen. Ever see Office Space? Remember the "pieces of flair"? That's how quotas are mostly done now ... "Jim, it looks like you've written 22 tickets today ... do you think that's enough? There were only 22 infractions in the last 6 hours on the road? Just 22? Do you remember all the training about spotting infractions and where and how to find them? Well, it's not that you are doing a bad job, but I think you should know that people do review your productivity regularly. Have a good evening, stay safe out there!"
    Great movie.

https://youtu.be/F7SNEdjftno

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Office Space- maybe the BEST movie I've ever seen that I have YET to have anyone tell me they saw...in a theater

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Office Space- maybe the BEST movie I've ever seen that I have YET to have anyone tell me they saw...in a theater
    I did not, but I do own it on Blu-ray.

Well in places like Europe they don't really have speeding laws on parts of the Autobahn they give out tickets for things like speeding very infrequently. So the very idea we need to have so many traffic laws or that we need to give out this many speeding tickets is an American lens.

Also, in Nordic countries the cost of the ticket is proportional to your salary. So instead of a flat fee of $140 or whatever, it's 1% of your income. So if you make a lot, you pay more, and if you make less, you pay less. I like that idea, because it decreases the disproportionately negative impact tickets have on the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Also, in Nordic countries the cost of the ticket is proportional to your salary. So instead of a flat fee of $140 or whatever, it's 1% of your income. So if you make a lot, you pay more, and if you make less, you pay less. I like that idea, because it decreases the disproportionately negative impact tickets have on the poor.
    Iíd love to see that here in the states, and only just to see how the rich and powerful squeeze through the loopholes they would inevitably create for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Iíd love to see that here in the states, and only just to see how the rich and powerful squeeze through the loopholes they would inevitably create for themselves.
    I'd wanna see body cam footage of the bribe attempts

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Even my clean as a whistle, lil' old grandma gets scared when a police officer is behind her on the road. She got in a minor accident due to nervousness about a cop behind her a year or two ago.
    I feel that about I driving totally hammered. Itís only dangerous bc Iím looking over my shoulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

well, I'd agree that's different.....you're suggesting fines collected go into the city's general fund like other various revenue sources like license fees, etc...I think that used to be more the case in a lot of cities, but over the years there's so many different variations of departments needing to justify their own existence by generating their own revenue
    No, I'd rather all fines collected by the police or the city or the county go to non-profit organizations. Ideally ones chosen by the public not by the government.

Yes, that was absolutely the norm in the past.

I saw it in a theater, but I was unable to make it to the 2 showings in the nation of his next movie Idiocracy. The studio HATED that movie and butchered it before they were finally forced to release it.

Well in places like Europe they don't really have speeding laws on parts of the Autobahn they give out tickets for things like speeding very infrequently. So the very idea we need to have so many traffic laws or that we need to give out this many speeding tickets is an American lens.

True-ish. It's mostly Germany where politeness is enforced more than speed. Many euro countries use the police as fund raising systems like we do.

And it's not all Nordic countries that fine based on income, it's true to some extent in Germany, France, Austria, Finland, & Switzerland, but Finland is by far the most aggressive with it.

I think the fines should be dramatically lower than they are now. In some places the fines are specifically large to get the extra money they can get when someone can't pay the initial amount. I'd rather add a system that a certain number of infractions in a period of time makes you lose your right to drive for a period of time.

True-ish. It's mostly Germany where politeness is enforced more than speed. Many euro countries use the police as fund raising systems like we do.

And it's not all Nordic countries that fine based on income, it's true to some extent in Germany, France, Austria, Finland, & Switzerland, but Finland is by far the most aggressive with it.

I think the fines should be dramatically lower than they are now. In some places the fines are specifically large to get the extra money they can get when someone can't pay the initial amount. I'd rather add a system that a certain number of infractions in a period of time makes you lose your right to drive for a period of time.
    There are also towns that draw their boundaries with a small sliver leading to the freeway that passes through so they can have their local police issue tickets to generate revenue. But honestly our police as a revenue generator goes far beyond just speeding tickets. Civil Asset Forfeiture is also incredibly corrupt and used for financial gain.

I was reading an article on it, and in St. Louis the police purposefully setup their officers on the Freeway leading out of town as opposed to leading in to try and catch drug smugglers. Why out instead of in? Because if they catch them coming in they confiscate the drugs that are worthless to them, but if they catch them heading out they confiscate the money. It's disgusting when the police allow the drugs to be flooded into their city so that they can get the money on the back end.

There are also towns that draw their boundaries with a small sliver leading to the freeway that passes through so they can have their local police issue tickets to generate revenue. But honestly our police as a revenue generator goes far beyond just speeding tickets. Civil Asset Forfeiture is also incredibly corrupt and used for financial gain.

I was reading an article on it, and in St. Louis the police purposefully setup their officers on the Freeway leading out of town as opposed to leading in to try and catch drug smugglers. Why out instead of in? Because if they catch them coming in they confiscate the drugs that are worthless to them, but if they catch them heading out they confiscate the money. It's disgusting when the police allow the drugs to be flooded into their city so that they can get the money on the back end.
    When I lived in PA there was a 1 street town that had 1 freeway offramp, they put the police station next to it, put a stop sign on the offramp, and had a cop in a car in the police station parking lot to pull over ever car that didn't come to a complete stop. They literally required the wheels to stop and you had to wait long enough for the front bumper to come up to confirm there was no stored energy in the suspension before you continued.

Yeah asset forfeiture is what I was talking about when I said seizure earlier. It's largely a corrupt concept and generally used wrong. A city in Ohio knew where a drug dealer was, but they waited until he went to visit his mother to arrest him then they took her house because he was there with drugs.

Eminent domain is also pretty bad, there was a little old lady who lived in a house her father built, but city hall was looking for space to expand and build a new office building. She refused to sell for 3 years so they took her house, demolished it, and 20 years later they still haven't built the building, but she and her family lost the family home.

It's wrong.

I saw it in a theater, but I was unable to make it to the 2 showings in the nation of his next movie Idiocracy. The studio HATED that movie and butchered it before they were finally forced to release it.
    lmao that movie played in theatre??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Of course it did.