Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 169 of 265 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3973
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I see it as just another piece pointing to a similar divisive rhetoric often singling out identities of others who are different (he wouldn't question a judge based on being white or call to ban Christians entering IMO for example). The wall he can make it protecting Americans vs evil immigrants even and we have seen some of the rhetoric there too.

I am certainly not saying everyone supporting him or even certain policies must be racist or anything. I do think trump has been pandering towards some of those types with his rhetoric and approach toward "other" identities though.

I think it is both really divisive/dumb/spewing nonsense but also obvious pandering to a certain base as well. It can be both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course you do. You're on the other team.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Of course you do. You're on the other team.
    This is the point, us vs them one team against another as if that is all that matters.

The reason I do think it is both not just Trump being dumb is because that is what it obviously is no matter who is doing it. Just like when "the other side" plays identity politics it is the same thing (Biden last night calling for Black SCOTUS). That is pandering, even if I think the main point is something that should happen (on merit not just identity) it is still obviously done for an obvious reason by said politician aiming to please a certain base. It is a simple standard applied to all.
    Last edited by mngopher35; 02-27-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    The "muslim ban" comment was nearly a full year before the election and he correctly backed off it pretty quickly.

So, people who want to see it as dog whistling will see it as dog whistling.

People who want to see it as a great big doddering ***hole spewing every stupid thought that pops into his head without so much as one second of internal evaluation, will see it as that. I'm one of those.
    Funny pattern, isnít it, how so many so-called dog whistles pop into (and out from) this doddering assclumpís head?

This is likely a complete waste of time but I'll try anyway. The conflation is not in what he said. He said what he said.

The conflation is with the policies that he actually implemented, and throwing the label of "deplorable", "racist", et al. on anyone who supported those, because "but he said that Muslim ban thing before."

That, among other things, is how we got here. People who take some issue with open immigration from terrorist sponsored countries don't like being told "that's because you actually hate Muslims."

There's your bottom line.
    The bottom line is you're trying to make it seem like people are calling Trump racist against Muslims because he enacted an Obama era policy. That is incredibly disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Funny pattern, isnít it, how so many so-called dog whistles pop into (and out from) this doddering assclumpís head?
    Not especially, if you think - as I do - that the whole concept of dog whistling has been impossibly watered down by those who'd condemn Trump if he came out tomorrow with demonstrable proof he'd cured cancer.

Things that could actually be construed by a rationally thinking person as dog whistling tend to get lost in the shuffle when everything somebody (anybody) says is purported to be dog whistling.

Not especially, if you think - as I do - that the whole concept of dog whistling has been impossibly watered down by those who'd condemn Trump if he came out tomorrow with demonstrable proof he'd cured cancer.

Things that could actually be construed by a rationally thinking person as dog whistling tend to get lost in the shuffle when everything somebody (anybody) says is purported to be dog whistling.
    Do you think Trump has said anything that could actually be construed by a rationally thinking person as a dog whistle and if so, what?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Do you think Trump has said anything that could actually be construed by a rationally thinking person as a dog whistle and if so, what?
    You'll have to be more specific. A dog whistle to whom/for what?

You'll have to be more specific. A dog whistle to whom/for what?
    I don't know. Any examples really. Let's narrow it down for not to specifically any dog whistles towards bigotry, intolerance, racism, cultural or racial identity, etc.

I don't know. Any examples really. Let's narrow it down for not to specifically any dog whistles towards bigotry, intolerance, racism, cultural or racial identity, etc.
    Painting with quite the broad brush there.

My answer would be probably. If you want to provide some examples and ask for my opinion on each as to whether they could be construed, reasonably, as dog whistling - I'd be willing to comply.

If you're asking if I have any readily available examples off the top of my head where Trump said a very specific thing and I sat there to myself at that time thinking "well this is just another brilliant play by Donny the always meticulous tactician to let his white supremacist friends/followers know he's still got their back" my answer would have to be that no, I don't have any of those prepared at this particular moment.

Painting with quite the broad brush there.

My answer would be probably. If you want to provide some examples and ask for my opinion on each as to whether they could be construed, reasonably, as dog whistling - I'd be willing to comply.

If you're asking if I have any readily available examples off the top of my head where Trump said a very specific thing and I sat there to myself at that time thinking "well this is just another brilliant play by Donny the always meticulous tactician to let his white supremacist friends/followers know he's still got their back" my answer would have to be that no, I don't have any of those prepared at this particular moment.
    I was more so just interested to know if you thought he had done it (or possibly did it) at all, not in which ones specifically you think were or were not.

I was more so just interested to know if you thought he had done it (or possibly did it) at all, not in which ones specifically you think were or were not.
    My response would be that the likely ratio of times he's done it to times he's been accused of doing it based largely on something akin to "orange man bad", would be something so substantial I'm having a hard time even conjuring up a number as I type this. Probably around the 1 to 10,000 neighborhood.

My response would be that the likely ratio of times he's done it to times he's been accused of doing it based largely on something akin to "orange man bad", would be something so substantial I'm having a hard time even conjuring up a number as I type this. Probably around the 1 to 10,000 neighborhood.
    I'm sure he's been accused of doing it far more than he actually has. Where we appear to differ, is I don't think because of that we should ignore the actual times he does do it.

I noticed this pattern. Why do trump supporters tegularly try and convince people they aren't trump supporters? What is there to gain from that?
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I noticed this pattern. Why do trump supporters tegularly try and convince people they aren't trump supporters? What is there to gain from that?
    It allows you to criticize others without being accountable for what you are supporting

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    It allows you to criticize others without being accountable for what you are supporting
    On the whole I would agree.

But I will go further to say that defending someone like Trump against excessive, exaggerated, or unwarranted criticism is not tantamount to supporting Trump.

Nevertheless, while Trump may appear always to be stupid, impulsive and thoughtless, I donít think that is the full or accurate picture. He knows what heís doing.