Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485
Results 1,261 to 1,263 of 1263
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Yes, Alyssa Milano is more famous than most politicians and she talks about politics a lot, but she's a nobody in politics. If she ran for President she wouldn't get any votes. There's a difference. Trump was not someone who received a lot of votes (his primary runs in 2000 netted him 15,000 and 9,000 votes in California and Michigan) until he brought up birtherism. Then his popularity increased dramatically in polls. Then he brought up the wall and his popularity skyrocketed.
    are there any polls pre 2015 for Trump when he was talking about birtherism?

I would think Trump's 2015 entry into the run for President made him more famous politically than whatever he said about Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    The only reason to bring up Sharia law is to scare and create fear among a targeted group of voters. Sharia law has no more right to enforce anything than Catholic canon does. Implying that it does, which is exactly what the right does, is a fear mongering tactic. This shouldn’t even be an issue that is discussed. There is no threat of it being implemented and undermining the justice system.
    in America or in the world? in the world sharia law absolutely happens.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brunei-...ay-2019-04-03/

New Islamic criminal laws took effect in Brunei on Wednesday that make gay sex and adultery punishable by stoning offenders to death. The laws have triggered an outcry from countries, rights groups and celebrities far beyond the tiny Southeast Asian nation's shores.

The penalties were provided for under new sections of Brunei's Shariah Penal Code. Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah instituted the code in 2014 to bolster the influence of Islam in the oil-rich monarchy of around 430,000 people, two-thirds of whom are Muslim.

lost in the Trump news this weekend was an Antifa attack on an ICE detention facility.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washingto...nter-manifesto

Washington ICE detention center attacker Willem Van Spronsen wrote 'I am Antifa' manifesto before assault
    The 69-year-old armed man killed by Washington state police as he attacked a local Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center Saturday sent a manifesto to friends the day before the assault in which he wrote "I am Antifa," and was being lionized by members of the leftwing group as a "martyr."

The group Seattle Antifascist Action described assailant Willem Van Spronsen a "good friend and comrade" who "took a stand against the fascist detention center in Tacoma" and "became a martyr who gave his life to the struggle against fascism."

"He was kind and deeply loved by many communities; we cannot let his death go unanswered," the group wrote in a Saturday Facebook post. "Throughout history we idolize figures like John Brown for their courage to take the ultimate stand against oppression, and today we stand strong in our support for yet another martyr in the struggle against fascism. May his death serve as a call to protest and direct action."

Seattle Antifascist Action
    on Saturday
    When our good friend and comrade Willem Van Spronsen took a stand against the fascist detention center in Tacoma, he became a martyr who gave his life to the struggle against fascism. He was kind and deeply loved by many communities; we cannot let his death go unanswered. Throughout history we idolize figures like John Brown for their courage to take the ultimate stand against oppression, and today we stand strong in our support for yet another martyr in the struggle against fascism. May his death serve as a call to protest and direct action.

Friends of the 69-year-old have defended him in the attack's aftermath, accusing police of murdering Van Spronsen. Deanne English told KIRO7 she last saw Van Spronsen outside the facility, which was the site of an earlier protest, Friday night.

"And he was probably just standing his ground," she told the television station about his death. "Because that's what he does."

Another friend, Deb Bartley, told the Seattle Times, however, that Van Spronsen was an anarchist and anti-fascist who, she believed, attacked the detention center intending to provoke a fatal conflict.

Van Spronsen was armed with a rifle and incendiary devices when he launched his assault on the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma around 4 a.m. Saturday, according to the Tacoma Police Department. Employees reported he was throwing 'incendiary devices' and setting vehicles on fire and the first officers on the scene said he was wearing a sachet and carrying flares.

Van Spronsen was trying to ignite a propane tank when he was confronted by the officers, who opened fire. The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s office said he died of multiple gunshot wounds.

Several friends of Van Spronsen said they received a manifesto from him Friday calling the facility "an abomination" and asking "those burdened with the wreckage from my actions" to "make the best use of that burden."

In the manifesto, obtained by KIRO7, Van Spronsen said he wanted to make a statement at the facility.

"I regret that I will miss the rest of the revolution," he wrote. "Doing what I can to help defend my precious and wondrous people is an experience too rich to describe. I am Antifa."

Bartley told the Times she and other friends of Van Spronsen got letters in the mail "just saying goodbye," in addition to the manifesto.

"He was ready to end it," Bartley said. "I think this was a suicide. But then he was able to kind of do it in a way that spoke to his political beliefs. I know he went down there knowing he was going to die."

Van Spronsen was arrested last year for assaulting a police officer during a June 26 protest outside the same detention center, according to court records.

According to court documents, he lunged at a cop and wrapped his arms around the officer's neck and shoulders while the officer was trying to detain a 17-year-old protester, The News Tribune reported. When police handcuffed Van Spronsen they found he had a collapsible baton and a folding knife in his pocket, according to court documents.

Van Spronsen pleaded guilty to a charge of obstructing police and was released from custody in October.

Demonstrators returned to the Tacoma facility -- where bullet holes from Van Spronsen's attack were still visible -- to protest ICE immigration roundups that began over the weekend.

The facility, privately operated by the GEO Group on behalf of ICE, holds illegal immigrants pending deportation proceedings. The detention center has also held immigration-seeking parents separated from their children under President Trump's "zero tolerance" policy, an effort meant to deter illegal immigration.

The Florida-based company told Q13 News in a statement they blamed a "factually inaccurate portrayal" of their detention centers for spurring "misplaced aggression and a dangerous environment for our employees."

"Violence of any kind against our employees and property will not be tolerated," the company stated.

The Tacoma Police Department said four officers were involved in the shooting and all have been placed on paid administrative leave, per department policy. Authorities have not released additional information about Van Spronsen.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...concentration/

Antifa lauds 'martyr' who attacked ICE detention center as manifesto circulates
    In a three-page document posted on Seattle TV station KIRO’s website, Willem Van Spronsen cited popular left-wing historian Howard Zinn, said that “i am antifa,” criticized the Electoral College and accused the U.S. of running “concentration camps” on the border.

Willem Van Spronsen, 69, declares early on in his manifesto that “evil says concentration camps for folks deemed lesser are necessary. the handmaid of evil says the concentration camps should be more humane,” using a term usually reserved for Nazi Germany’s death camps, but introduced in the border-security debate last month by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.

He also mocked people criticizing Ms. Ocasio-Cortez for intellectual sloppiness, referring to “these days of highly profitable detention/concentration camps and a battle over the semantics.”

the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    are there any polls pre 2015 for Trump when he was talking about birtherism?

I would think Trump's 2015 entry into the run for President made him more famous politically than whatever he said about Obama.
    Of course you'd think that. You only think things that put Trump in a more favorable light.

As for whether there were polls from before Birtherism that showed him leading the Republican field: I challenge you to find them. If not, well I guess what you think is pretty wrong, no?

https://www.politico.com/story/2011/...op-poll-053270

Right after pushing birther stuff Trump jumped up to lead the GOP race in 2012.

https://www.politico.com/story/2011/...ollapse-054661

After Obama shares birth certificate just a short time later Trump falls and loses tons of support without that issue to champion in same way

Then the wall for this run, muslim ban, constant rhetoric and so on. It appears like he was unable to get support for a very long time then started pushing stuff like this and was championed by the Republican party. I mean I have pointed it out but this has actually kind of been a long time strategy of Republicans painting others as extreme for being different and being extremely partisan within government and so on.

Trump is just doing it much harder/better, the saddest thing is that it has infected every day life, this forum and so on where you just see bigotry/bias/lying or ignoring reality and so on as I keep pointing out. This is the new norm and it isn't something that should just be ignored. It's the main cause of all this fighting back and forth. Definitely not just one sided but at the same time clearly more on one of these two parties than the other as shown and people don't seem to care so long as it fits with their ideological beliefs.

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485