Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 379 of 394 FirstFirst ... 279329369377378379380381389 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,685 of 5905
    another incident of police being targeted, for nothing.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...ol-car-3-times

Virginia police hunting for gunman who shot patrol car 3 times
    The officer did not sustain any injuries, authorities said
    The shooting took place at about 7:25 p.m. in Suffolk, Va. A preliminary investigation determined the marked police vehicle was traveling in the area when it was shot three times, according to the Suffolk Police Department.

"The officer did not sustain any injuries," authorities said.

\_(ツ)_/

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

Police should not get federal funding ever, including in the form of discounts on weapons/equipment.

Police/municipalites should not EVER get money from enforcing the law.

Those 2 things probably solve many of the issues. More change would be good, but those changes would be a MAJOR step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Police should not get federal funding ever, including in the form of discounts on weapons/equipment.

Police/municipalites should not EVER get money from enforcing the law.

Those 2 things probably solve many of the issues. More change would be good, but those changes would be a MAJOR step forward.
    I can understand, somewhat, your mindset on federal money...at least directly
    But if they're getting no revenue via enforcing the law (which is what we're paying them for), how are you proposing they be funded? Indirectly via the municipality's budget?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I can understand, somewhat, your mindset on federal money...at least directly
    But if they're getting no revenue via enforcing the law (which is what we're paying them for), how are you proposing they be funded? Indirectly via the municipality's budget?
    Yes, the police should be funded by the populace via taxes, they should not be incentivized to take from the public for their own gain. As long as tickets and property seizures pay their checks the police will not be working for the public they are supposed to serve.

Yes, the police should be funded by the populace via taxes, they should not be incentivized to take from the public for their own gain. As long as tickets and property seizures pay their checks the police will not be working for the public they are supposed to serve.
    I've brought this up before but when you think back to your last half dozen or so police encounters, did the police help you or did they give you a ticket for speeidng/parking, etc.? For most, the police are there when the person is about to be punished, not there to help the person.

For many, the first instinct they feel is fear when they see police lights behind them. By monetizing police to generate revenue from speeding tickets, police have been negatively conditioning people's view of police for years. Is it any wonder that much of the country views them negatively (between that and the violence issues)?

Even my clean as a whistle, lil' old grandma gets scared when a police officer is behind her on the road. She got in a minor accident due to nervousness about a cop behind her a year or two ago.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Grandma prolly thuggin'

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Even my clean as a whistle, lil' old grandma gets scared when a police officer is behind her on the road. She got in a minor accident due to nervousness about a cop behind her a year or two ago.
    that was only because she knows she has a grandson with a penchant for keeping bags of sativa spread around like easter eggs and knows that may include her car

x2

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

I don't see an issue with tickets. either a ticket is justified or it's not, and any ticket that is justified is deserved.
    if there is a ticket for speeding or failing to stop, then yes that serves the public because it would hopefully cut down on speeding/failing to stop/ect making the roads safer for everyone else.

\_(ツ)_/

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

See I view it as more of a use tax in relation. The people that pay a larger share of the 'tax' (fines) are the people utilizing more of the service (using more of the police's resources). Otherwise you're suggesting that if I got a DUI, I shouldn't be fined? Just what, jailed? If I deserve a speeding ticket....my punishment is? What they DO need to get away from (if that still exists) are (why can't I remember the actual term) monthly minimums.
    Last edited by SiteWolf; 09-17-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I've brought this up before but when you think back to your last half dozen or so police encounters, did the police help you or did they give you a ticket for speeidng/parking, etc.? For most, the police are there when the person is about to be punished, not there to help the person.

For many, the first instinct they feel is fear when they see police lights behind them. By monetizing police to generate revenue from speeding tickets, police have been negatively conditioning people's view of police for years. Is it any wonder that much of the country views them negatively (between that and the violence issues)?
    Add to that that as long as they are revenue generating there is incentive to get more police because more police make more money. When they have to be paid by collected taxes the number of police overall will decrease, let's hope that the first ones out the door are the ones with the most issues not the ones with the most experience.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I had a cop tailgating me on the freeway, there was a gap a few cars ahead on the right, I sped up to get out of his way and he pulled me over for speeding.

In the several places I've lived you can tell fairly quickly if the police are out to make money or out to serve the people. Where I live now it's the latter. I've talked to cops 3 times, and all 3 came away without a fine and a more positive impression of the force here. Where i used to live they were CLEARLY just trying to make money, and a lot of it. My car has a locking differential, I turned a corner on gravel and the tires chattered because of the diff, I got pulled over at 5 mph for reckless driving and exhibition of speed. I took it to court and the judge clearly didn't listen to me at all. $1500 to the police for literally nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    I don't see an issue with tickets. either a ticket is justified or it's not, and any ticket that is justified is deserved.
    if there is a ticket for speeding or failing to stop, then yes that serves the public because it would hopefully cut down on speeding/failing to stop/ect making the roads safer for everyone else.
    Did I say I had a problem with tickets? I said the tickets should not pay the police. I think any money collected by the city in fines should be invested back into the community. It should not augment tax money in the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    See I view it as more of a use tax in relation. The people that pay a larger share of the 'tax' (fines) are the people utilizing more of the service (using more of the police's resources). Otherwise you're suggesting that if I got a DUI, I shouldn't be fined? Just what, jailed? If I deserve a speeding ticket....my punishment is? What they DO need to get away from (if that still exists) are (why can't I remember the actual term) monthly minimums.
    Again, I never said they shouldn't collect fines. I want to remove the incentive for the police beyond just doing their job.

And you are talking about quotas and they are generally illegal, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. They absolutely do happen. Ever see Office Space? Remember the "pieces of flair"? That's how quotas are mostly done now ... "Jim, it looks like you've written 22 tickets today ... do you think that's enough? There were only 22 infractions in the last 6 hours on the road? Just 22? Do you remember all the training about spotting infractions and where and how to find them? Well, it's not that you are doing a bad job, but I think you should know that people do review your productivity regularly. Have a good evening, stay safe out there!"
    Last edited by Scoots; 09-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.