Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

First Round Playoff Match-ups

Please leave your argument in here based on your team vs your round 1 opponent. We will post them on HF shortly for 2 day voting. The match-ups are

Tomsa vs Homie
    Jakub vs Pidg
    BranWingss vs i am bob
    TO Rapz vs Shaiza

Clubhouses are in my last thread on the worst team. You may check your opponent's roster out there.

I'll be posting my argument tonight. Instead of using names, the other team will be team 1 or 2. Teams on the left will be team 1 and the right team 2. So I, team 1, bob team 2.

Lets start with the top lines:

Mitch Marner as a centerman is a joke. He only had 95 attempts on the year and won 50 for a 52.6%. He is also a generously listed 6’0 175lbs. Panarin and Kucherov are nice wingers, but they both play the same style, and do not compliment each other well. Not to mention, this line is a sheltered line with a 64%-56%-65% Offensive zone starting percentage. So to say the line is a liability defensively is easy.

My top line easily counters it with gritty size, sleek scoring and an actual PPG centerman that took over 1000 faceoffs and stands at 6’3 210lbs. Also its not sheltered, with a 45%-54%-58% offensive zone starting percentage. Not to mention a corsi of 63%-54%-58%, showing all positives in puck possession numbers.

Now lets compare top Defensive combo’s - or Liabilities in his case:

Ivan Provorov had a 48.2% Fenwick, 47.3% Corsi and a team save percentage of .895 when on the ice. Meaning not only did other teams have a majority of the possession when he was on the ice, they were also scoring at a rate higher than the NHL average. And Morrisey’s only get slightly better, with a 51.5%, 50.6% and .915. Also they dont produce above average to make up for this, with a total pair scoring of 67.

Now Lets compare Lindholm and Barrie. Lindholm career average in Corsi and Fenwick are identical at 52.6%, with an on ice save percentage of .915 and scoring 31 points. Oh, and you think Tyson Barrie is a one trick pony eh? His Corsi and Fenwick are even better at 53.5% and 52.4% respectively while scoring 57 points of his own.

Top goalies you say?

Gibson played in 60 games, holding a 2.43 GAA and .926 save %. You know who’s stats were better on a much worse team? Raanta, with 47 starts and a 2.24 GAA and .930 save %.

Now lets venture down to the second line, if you’re not convinced yet that his high octane 3 winger first line cannot be shut down by my well rounded actual line, and better defenders and goalie:

His second line is the same story, weak possession metrics at splits of Corsi 62/53/52, Fenwick of 62/52/54 and Save % of .904/.899/.876. Conversely mine are 59/57/55, 59/58/55 and .903/.872/.920 all averaging out higher while scoring the same. And lets not forget, 56.1 FO% for Draisaitl and his ~1200 FO while this “center” Barzal lost possession almost immediately for his team with his ~750 faceoffs and only a 42.6% win percentage.

Now lets do second pair D:

Noah Hanifin? What a rock with 60/59 Corsi Fenwick splits with 32 points on a terrible team. And Miller with his break out 41 point season, 56% and 55% Corsi and Fenwick. They controlled the puck, and put up points for their team both scoring 10 goals, and adding plenty of primary helpers.

Pesce? 19 points Pescthetic, with a 54/53 split. And Damon Severson as a second pairing D? Are you trying to get toasted? 49.2% and 49.4% with a below average oiSV% at .905 with one of the better starting goalies in the league, not to mention just 24 points. I'll skate circles around this weak duo any day.

At the end of the day, his top line has some sexy scoring numbers for 3 wingers, but the scoring evens out once you go down the lines. Not to mention, only 1 of my 6 D put up less than 30 points, while 5 out of his 6 put up less than 30. So not only can his D not get the puck to his forwards, they cant help produce either. Oh yeah and remember, Raanta out-performed Gibson on a star-less terrible team that takes on contracts to reach the cap floor. Gibson couldn’t do better with the loaded Ducks.

I could go on, but I don't need to...Game set match.

Going into this, it was fairly obvious that speed and skill were going to dominate considering the age cap and the way that the NHL has been heading the past couple of years so I made it imperative that I infuse a bunch of sizable players that also overflow with skill and skating prowess with guys like Matthews, Kane, Tuch, Faksa, Bjustad, Lowry and Ferland all being over 6”2’ while carry a versatile set of skills and abilities amongst them. Even my shorter guys like Arvidsson and Sheary have some agitating abilities to goad opponents into taking penalties.
    On defense i had the same thought process. All 6 guys are known for skating well for their size and all are able to solidly move the puck out of the zone. Although, the Crown Jewels are obviously Zach Werenski and Dougie Hamilton with both having that 45-55 point upside while playing a 2-way game on separate pairs with partners who suit each other’s game perfectly. Werenski is actually my shortest defenseman at 6’2”
    Net needs no explanation. Holtby has been a beast since he started in the playoffs with Washington in 2012 and is coming off a Cup victory with a much worse defense than I have

I have a boner

Damn we got so close too [emoji23][emoji23]

I just moved and have had no internet longer than expected. I will have these posted somewhere shortly.