Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

july 31st deadline thread

being the trade deadline thread doesnt seem active figure it was time for a new one.

so say for some miraculous reason this team stays in it (more about the league than this team) and we buy....who you got? do we have the ammo to make real significant moves? this team isnt a team that if they get in they can win, like i said significant moves. are you going for the rentals or are you going for guys you plan to have around awhile?

i dont see them fixing the bullpen externally, too many teams will be up in that market, the cost isnt worth it for this team. outlier being baltimore cant get a market for britton who would have to show at least signs. we arent getting hand. maybe a diekman from texas? 3rd base we can have our choice though the logical answer is moose because this team needs a lh motob type bat as much as anything else. i said jedd was a utility player in the winter and i was right. not knocking him, hes great at that role but his stats vs right handers are terrible, utterly terrible. same can be said for bader but bader is better than fowler so....

in my opinion you cant do both here. you cant buy and sell. like ive said repeatedly either jump in one pond or the other but stop trying to visit/play in both.

personally i still think they should sell but again the league is so ****** that they probably wont which again if its not for the (near) long-term goal it makes no sense to me.

Depends where we are the week entering the trade deadline. Right now, it's way too early to say what we should do.

Current playoff odds are 36.9% But every win moves us pretty large. And in 3-4 weeks, we could be in it or out of it.

If we are at or near 50%, we need to add MLB talent. If we are at or below 25%, I'd probably look into selling off. Especially if we are below 10%

Btw, I'm not against a small retooling where we sell and buy.

To me it would make sense to sell and buy...

Sell corner infield, buy outfield bat/bull pen.

Personally, the MOTOB will be way too expensive to trade for. If this team can rattle off some wins, and get the pen going... we will be in the playoffs. From there, it's just who gets hot at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    To me it would make sense to sell and buy...

Sell corner infield, buy outfield bat/bull pen.

Personally, the MOTOB will be way too expensive to trade for. If this team can rattle off some wins, and get the pen going... we will be in the playoffs. From there, it's just who gets hot at the right time.

How is Moose going to be too expensive to trade for? He not a superstar but Bowden said there wont be a big, even average market for 3b outside of a rash of injuries this summer.

Josh Donaldson needs to come back already for the Blue Jays (and my fantasy team). Then we can finally trade for him. His numbers are trash this year but i'm confident he locks in for the 2nd half to help with a big-ish payday.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    How is Moose going to be too expensive to trade for? He not a superstar but Bowden said there wont be a big, even average market for 3b outside of a rash of injuries this summer.
    Moose isn't a MOTOB. I doubt he costs more than an organizations number 7-12 pick

I also don't see the need to acquire him......like at all.

He didn't start hitting until last year, and he isn't our best hitting third basemen even if we did have him.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...0816,8090,7996

He's been better than Jedd so far this year, but that's it.

I wouldn't acquire him if he cost us our 20th best prospect.

If you want a good, low cost player to acquire, go get Derek Dietrich

He has been inconsistent, so he won't cost much. He comes with another two years of control, and he is a super utility guy that can infield and outfield adequately. Not really a starter, but can help everywhere on the diamond.

He'd probably cost us Arozarena and Andrew Morales or something like that.

That's the kind of player you can acquire that is a buy, that doesn't really hurt us, and can immediately help at a position like third base (he and Jedd can platoon third - with Jedd rotating a platoon at second as well with Wong and letting Carpenter get some time at third).

That's the kind of player I'd target this deadline, regardless of where we are at the deadline. Useful, but not spectacular.

You want a MOTOB bat, but there isn't really one to be had that is at a reasonable cost and makes sense where we are on the win now curve. If we can win some games, than maybe Machado or Donaldson as a rental. But even then, that requires our playoff probability to raise and the price to make sense. And plenty of teams will want those guys.

Our bullpen needs help (namely a better bullpen manager though), and a retooling doesn't cost much. And we can add a good utility guy like Dietrich without much cost that we can own for a few more years.

Moose wouldn't be our teams best third base option even if we did have him.

best left handed bats vs righties over the last two years in the game:

wRC+
    Jose Ramirez - 163
    Joey Votto - 160
    Freddie Freeman - 155
    Brandon Nimmo - 144
    Bryce Harper - 141
    Matt Olson - 137
    Marwin Gonzalez - 137
    Cody Bellinger - 133
    Charlie Blackmon - 133
    Brandon Belt - 131
    Michael Conforto - 131
    Scooter Gennett - 130
    Eric Hosmer - 129
    Justin Bour - 129
    Eddie Rosario - 128
    Daniel Murphy - 128
    Jed Lowrie - 128
    Lonnie Chisenhall - 126
    Eric Thames - 125
    Yonder Alonso - 125

Who on this list would be available? Jedd Lowrie and Justin Bour?

Lowrie is playing second base, and would be a competition for Wong (not a bad thing) and he can play other positions like shortstop, but not well. But this isn't a MOTOB or huge upgrade.

Justin Bour could move Carpenter off first permanently and help Martinez at first. But I feel like the Marlins will want a good amount for Bour because of how cheap he is.

Meanwhile, Dietrich's career wRC+ off righties? 116
    Platoon that with Jedd who has a 125 vs lefties. And let these guys rotate around the field, and it's a cheap acquisition. Between the two of them, you have Matt Chapman of the A's or Brian Anderson of the Marlins.

Bring back Kozma and Choate!!

The Wizard of Koz!

How on earth is Mike Moustakas supposed to be an upgrade? Unless he learned how to throw a 98 MPH cutter... PASS.

He is significantly inferior to Carpenter and to Jose Martinez. Lower WAR, lower SLG, lower OBP, lower ops, lower, lower, lower, lower... but he does have 1 more HR than Carpenter does (but he also has 40 more AB's).

A move landing a bat like that is very flat.... also, we don't need a corner infielder. We could use a power bat in RF. That's where the black hole in the lineup is... or a 2B. It's time to start a true platoon with Wong and Jedd. Carpenter is best suited to bouncing around the infield anyways.

All that said, I like this team top to bottom. If we had a good pen, we'd be in 1st right now.

I think it's getting pretty close to just shop Pham and get him out of here, maybe get a BP arm for him and put Bader out there full time and call O'Neill up and him get the full time starts in RF with Fowler being the bench guy to have spot starts to give the starters rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Moose isn't a MOTOB. I doubt he costs more than an organizations number 7-12 pick

I also don't see the need to acquire him......like at all.

He didn't start hitting until last year, and he isn't our best hitting third basemen even if we did have him.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...0816,8090,7996

He's been better than Jedd so far this year, but that's it.

I wouldn't acquire him if he cost us our 20th best prospect.
    I would

1. we have no LH bats in the middle of the lineup. Our best lefty hits leadoff, i have no faith in dexter anymore.

2. if you make the playoffs, do you think teams fear maybe having to use their top lefty once a game with off days in-between to get carp out?

3. We're getting Dejong back, Carp has no arm. everything he throws is lofted soft toss. carp can play second, also go to first in late games.

you have to balance your lineup and moose batting 5th pushing molina, dejong to likely 6th or 7th lengthens your lineup and makes teams use their bullpen, even for one more additional arm. that second lefty may get moose out but is he or the righty that follows guaranteed no to implode?no. doesnt mean he will either but its playing the law of averages. moose is a far safer play than throwing it all in for machado or getting castellanos who cant play 3rd. carp has proven again this year he cant hit anywhere but 1st and a little 2nd. ever since they put him back up there, yet again he has taken off. its nonsense to argue that he can bat anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    How on earth is Mike Moustakas supposed to be an upgrade? Unless he learned how to throw a 98 MPH cutter... PASS.

He is significantly inferior to Carpenter and to Jose Martinez. Lower WAR, lower SLG, lower OBP, lower ops, lower, lower, lower, lower... but he does have 1 more HR than Carpenter does (but he also has 40 more AB's).

A move landing a bat like that is very flat.... also, we don't need a corner infielder. We could use a power bat in RF. That's where the black hole in the lineup is... or a 2B. It's time to start a true platoon with Wong and Jedd. Carpenter is best suited to bouncing around the infield anyways.

All that said, I like this team top to bottom. If we had a good pen, we'd be in 1st right now.
    a move like that for a bag of balls is better value than machado who the cardinals have ZERO chance of retaining after the rental process is over.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast