Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mock Draft

It'll be interesting. We usually aren't in this position and drafting this late. We may have the ability to draft for need like you said. Guard is interesting to me. We dont know who's all going to be back. With Bledsoe already in tow, it's hard to see a way to afford hill. If that's the case, a true backup pg may be a need. Unless we think DD can do it, that might be the spot.

I also don;'t think I draft for need necessarily. I would go for guy at 30 with highest upside. Luka Samanic could be a name to watch. 6-11 pretty athletic. Can really shoot the rock and has diverse game offensively. Really good shooter but can post up smaller guys or face up. Really skilled. Also has toughness. Questionable motor apparently, but at 30 he would be a guy that can space the floor with Giannis. 19 years old. I am shocked to see him going around where Bucks are picking in mocks.

Point could be moot anyway. Bucks could trade pick or pick guy another team wants and trade with Snell for cap relief.

I'm okay with upside, but to me, at 30, I consider need alot more than at the top of the draft. We aren't going to have a ton of cap flexibility in the near future, so you have to consider need in the draft because there's not a ton of ways to fill the roster otherwise.

I think our management will be willing to dip into the tax at times, but I don't think they'll be the type to do it consistently. So I don't think we can count on going into the tax and still spending on mid level exception guys. So need definitely has to be part of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I'm okay with upside, but to me, at 30, I consider need alot more than at the top of the draft. We aren't going to have a ton of cap flexibility in the near future, so you have to consider need in the draft because there's not a ton of ways to fill the roster otherwise.

I think our management will be willing to dip into the tax at times, but I don't think they'll be the type to do it consistently. So I don't think we can count on going into the tax and still spending on mid level exception guys. So need definitely has to be part of the conversation.
    I'm with crewfan on this. I don't look at upside much at all. At 30 upside most likely means bust and we need cheap players that can contribute. I look for a high floor guy that can contribute right away. Maybe an older player and a position of need.

Depending on what we do in free agency I could see us either going with another point guard (maybe not of Hill comes back) or another front court player. Would be nice to have a backup stretch 5, though I could also see DJ Wilson filling that role in a small ball lineup.

Carsen Edwards might be an option at point if we want to grab another shooter. I could also see us looking at Thybulle for a defensive stopper, especially if we move Snell.

Also wouldn't shock me if we need to attach the pick to Snell in order to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Also wouldn't shock me if we need to attach the pick to Snell in order to move him.
    That's what I was wondering too. Have to figure moving snell is a fairly big priority this summer. Even if we run it back with mostly the same guys, you have to figure management tries to trim as much fat from the roster as possible to try to avoid the luxury tax as much as possible.

That's what I was wondering too. Have to figure moving snell is a fairly big priority this summer. Even if we run it back with mostly the same guys, you have to figure management tries to trim as much fat from the roster as possible to try to avoid the luxury tax as much as possible.
    Yep I think Snell going to have to be packaged with a pick.

Also, I get your guys' point on the NBA-ready player. But not sure anyone like that is there at 30. Edwards is diminutive not sure he has the ability to blow past PGs. More a shooter than a PG. If it were a Brogdon type, a conference POY or first-team guy who fits NBA mold then yeah..but is there a college player like that?? Ty Jerome maybe? Not sure he can defend though.

If not I go with a guy that can be a really good player or growing into one like FSU big, Bosnian big over, Naz Reid over a bench guy or a DD-type that can be a 8-ppg guy and defend.
    Last edited by gopackgo87; 06-03-2019 at 03:16 PM.

I don't expect a guy like Edwards to run the point though, I know that's his position but I would expect him to come in and provide some handles while mainly just being a floor spacer. Guy can shoot it.

I don't expect a guy like Edwards to run the point though, I know that's his position but I would expect him to come in and provide some handles while mainly just being a floor spacer. Guy can shoot it.
    Can he defend the point? Can't defend anything else. Same thing as Markus Howard argument. Guy can flat shoot, score, but who is he going to defend? And like Edwards if you are 6-0 or under 6-feet tall and cant handle the ball at elite level and can't defend the 1.....tough to see the floor. I do think Edwards is a better defender than Howard, but not sure he's going to be a good player at the NBA level. Rather have a Quinn Cook on cheap in FA.

I think he can defend the point no problem. He's fairly quick and strong for a guard. Decent wingspan too. He's a far better defender than Howard. Besides, as an off the bench spark plug I don't think we need him to be an elite defender, that's not what I'd expect at least. I'd consider him to be more of a Kemba Walker or Lou Williams type player (both of which had similar concerns coming out of college).

I'll also say, if we don't draft Edwards I'm not going to be disappointing or anything. I'm assuming there's a good chance we trade away our pick.

If we happen to keep it, we have a lot of directions we can go. I'd be satisfied with just about any position other than more forwards.

I think he can defend the point no problem. He's fairly quick and strong for a guard. Decent wingspan too. He's a far better defender than Howard. Besides, as an off the bench spark plug I don't think we need him to be an elite defender, that's not what I'd expect at least. I'd consider him to be more of a Kemba Walker or Lou Williams type player (both of which had similar concerns coming out of college).
    Lou Williams never went to college and both are 6-1. I never remember there being concerns about Kemba being able to defend, I think for both it was want to. Did they want to? I still don't think Lou does lol but both were projected as elite offensive players. More than just shooters. I even said I think Edwards is a better defender than Howard, but I am not sure he makes up for it with offense. He is a great shooter, but Lou and Kemba are much better ballhandlers. I don't see Edwards as come in right away and do more than shoot is what I am saying. And wouldn't be a Brogdon ROY type. Would take a bit IMO if he is going to be more than just a shooter and 12-15 mpg guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Lou Williams never went to college and both are 6-1. I never remember there being concerns about Kemba being able to defend, I think for both it was want to. Did they want to? I still don't think Lou does lol but both were projected as elite offensive players. More than just shooters. I even said I think Edwards is a better defender than Howard, but I am not sure he makes up for it with offense. He is a great shooter, but Lou and Kemba are much better ballhandlers. I don't see Edwards as come in right away and do more than shoot is what I am saying. And wouldn't be a Brogdon ROY type. Would take a bit IMO if he is going to be more than just a shooter and 12-15 mpg guy.
    Obviously, more is better, but for a guy at the end of the first, getting a guy who can play 10 minutes and get some buckets is a win.

Obviously, more is better, but for a guy at the end of the first, getting a guy who can play 10 minutes and get some buckets is a win.
    Right, this is kind of the point. If they're available at the end of the first I don't think they're projected to contribute. But if he's a guy that can come off the bench and knock down some shots once in a while that could be the difference in a few games.

Right, this is kind of the point. If they're available at the end of the first I don't think they're projected to contribute. But if he's a guy that can come off the bench and knock down some shots once in a while that could be the difference in a few games.
    But you have to be able to play at the other end also. You guys are forgetting the Bucks probably hit more often on second rounders than first lol. To think you can't find a guy to come in and play at 30 is ridiculous. Is it a guarantee certainly not but the Spurs lived at the bottom of draft and hit on a lot of guys. I am not expecting an all-star but can find more than a guy to come in and play 10 minutes. Maybe in year 1 10 minutes is fine but a regular contributor can be found at 30. Josh Hart, Jimmy Butler, Kyle Anderson and Kevon Looney just this decade were picked at 30.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast