3 50.00%
  • C

0 0%
  • D

1 16.67%
  • F

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pistons draft Bruce Brown Jr. (SG, Miami) & Trades for Khyri Thomas (PG, Creighton)

About Bruce Brown

• Bruce Brown is a tough, physical guard who flashed potential as a versatile two-way contributor as a freshman, but struggled to find his range as a sophomore before missing the latter half of the season following foot surgery. A consensus top-30 prospect in the high school class of 2016, Brown made an instant impact for Jim Larranaga’s Hurricanes establishing himself as a regular starter and making an impact in a variety of ways playing with great energy. Averaging 11.4 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 4 assists per game as a sophomore, Brown’s versatility shined in spots following an impressive showing at last summer’s adidas Nations, but he missed the last 13 games of the season unable to aid the Hurricanes down the stretch as they lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by just one basket.

• Measured 6’5 in shoes with a 6’9 wingspan and 195-pound frame at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine. Has a nice combination of size and length for a shooting guard to go along with nice quickness and strength.

• Played a significant role for a Miami team that created offense from the perimeter by committee. Did much of his damage creating for himself and others out of pick and rolls. Really moved the ball well out of ball screen actions. Had some positive moments turning defense into offense and doing a bit of everything defensively, but was missing a degree of confidence scoring off the ball.
    Defensive Analysis

• Competitive defender who does a nice job using his length on the ball. Makes some impressive contributions as a rebounder. Shows unique toughness on the glass for a wing. Could be a bit more physical guarding on the perimeter, but flashes the ability to slide his feet to beat opposing wings to spots on occasion. Will gamble a bit off the ball, but also closes out shooters with impressive urgency. Allowed only 0.852 points per Spot Up possession[67th percentile]. Has nice upside defensively.
    CBS Sports Reid Forgrave Analyst
    "Brown is a crafty, versatile, useful player in a lot of roles. He could have been a first-rounder."

Grade: A-
    Thoughts on BBJ?
    Last edited by JWO35; 06-22-2018 at 10:40 AM.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

About Khyri Thomas

• Khyri Thomas is a reliable shooter and competitive defender coming off one of the most efficient scoring seasons of any player available in the 2018 NBA Draft. A largely unheralded recruit in the high school class of 2015, Thomas nonetheless emerged as a starter as a true freshman under Greg McDermott at Creighton. Showed marked improvement as a sophomore making perimeter shots at a high rate and earning Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors, Thomas was even better as a junior. Averaged 15.1 points and 4.4 rebounds per game while posting gaudy shooting numbers to help Creighton to the NCAA Tournament, repeat as Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and earn All-Big East Second Team honors. Defense could be Thomas' calling card in NBA

• Measured 6’3.75 in shoes with a 6’10.5 wingspan and 199-pound frame at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine. Does not have great size for a shooting guard, but compensates with very good length, strength, and a terrific motor.

• Played a key role for the Bluejays settling in as the second option of one of the NCAA’s most efficient offensive teams. Excelled in two key areas: as a set shooter in the half court and as a finisher in transition. Ability to hunt those high percentage opportunities and stick to his strengths propelled his efficiency to impressive heights. Finished the season ranked as the 8th most efficient scorer among power conference players using over 12 possessions per game.
    Defensive Analysis

• Competitive defender who moves his feet well and is physical guarding on the ball. Active with his hands. Wingspan and activity level make him a factor in the passing lanes off the ball. Closes out hard, allowed only 0.885 points per Spot Up possession[61st percentile]. Has some versatility on the defensive end as well. Chips in on the boards.
    CBS Sports Reid Forgrave Analyst

"This is exactly what the Pistons, who acquired the pick from the overly pick-rich 76ers, needed. Thomas can play offense and defense at high levels right away. He's a first-round talent -- I had him as a top-20 prospect -- at a no-risk spot."

Grade: A+
    Thoughts on our Khyri

👑

More excited about Khyri than Brown, but good picks/trade IMHO.

Both were drafted for D purposes to start out with. Worse the of the two will play in G.R. on a two way. Hopefully one will really shine thru and can be backup pg after Ish's contract runs out - even though Brown is listed as a SG.

Voted A just because of the 38/42 pick position and these guys were available. Very good value.

Khyrie's breakdown sounds like they were describing Avery Bradley, reading more about him makes pretty happy, and surprised he was a 2nd rounder

or I'm chugging kool aid again

Khyrie's breakdown sounds like they were describing Avery Bradley, reading more about him makes pretty happy, and surprised he was a 2nd rounder

or I'm chugging kool aid again
    Couple of draft boards I saw had him as possible late first rounder or very early 2nd. Appears to have improved each year and given the write up efficiency, could be a real steal if the trend carries forward.

2 time Big East DOP with a 6'10" wing span, has some very nice mental / physical tools.

What did we give up in the trade??

2015 SEASON STATS

CATCHES- 12
    YARDS- 122
    TD'S-

LIONS W/L 0-2

Quote Originally Posted by lionsfanphil View Post
    What did we give up in the trade??

👑

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    Yup that is the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Yup that is the gist of it.
    There's always a gem to be found in the 2nd round. But even not making the playoffs, finishing 9th a few games out and given the strength of the west, we had that 42nd pick. Mid second round. You're most likely looking at a guy who has at least two years in the NCAA which can spot fill if you're lucky or taking a flyer. 2nds are great for stashing a guy overseas or throw away filler (IMHO).

We can always buy one - for ~3-5M if there is a guy we think we really want. At the end of the day, we have our firsts going forward. Interesting to note that Stefanski said we were active leading up to our pick but couldn't get a deal done. And then the Khyri trade just sorta happened. Wondering what we were trying to do and with who.

If IIRC, because of the Ted Stepien Rule, we couldn't trade our 1st round for next year until after Clips made their choice (ours) at 12.
    Last edited by markbutter; 06-23-2018 at 10:59 AM.

I like both picks. Its hard to actually be mad at 2nd round picks but if these guys can come in and help lock down some of the oppositions wing/guards it will make the rest of the defense come easier.

Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    I don't really like this tweet, trading two future 2nds for a high end 2nd isn't a big deal. Beard is kinda stating the obvious, which had nothing to do with the draft trade and everything to do with signing Casey.

I have no idea who these guys are. Didn’t pay attention to any prospect given the fact that we didn’t have a pick. I hope they can play
    Using Tapatalk

I think i like the trade, but we'll see. In general I'm against trading assets away when you're in need of assets...but meh. we got 2 players which seem like fringe starters. I'll take it.

Looking forward to seeing them both play in the SL with Kennard...

👑

Thomas looks to have a lot of potential

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast