Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il

7th Pick of 2018 Draft : Wendell Carter JR.

Wendell Carter JR

School: Duke

Position: PF/C

Weight: 251 pounds

Wingspan: 7'-4 1/2"

Birthday: April 16, 1999 (19)

About Wendell Carter Jr.

Wendell Carter is an athletic young big man with an NBA-ready frame who can do a little bit of everything on the floor and has significant upside in a number of areas as well. An early bloomer, Carter has evolved considerably from a few years ago when he was a thicker, more traditional big man. Emerged as a consensus top-5 player in the high school class of 2017 and a McDonaldís All-American. Playing alongside fellow top prospect Marvin Bagley in Dukeís frontcourt, Carter had a productive year averaging 13.5 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks per game to earn All-ACC Second Team honors. Showed significant flashes of ability in a variety of facets of the game, and at 19 years old, is still only scratching the surface of the player he can become long term.

• Measured 6í10 in shoes with a leaned down 251-pound frame and a 7í4.5 wingspan at the 2018 NBA Draft Combine, prototypical dimensions for a modern NBA center. A fluid athlete with solid explosiveness on the move, there is a lot to like about his physical tools.

• Playing a major complementary role for Duke offensively and doubling as their most active interior defender, Carterís minutes were limited some nights by foul trouble, but he was one of the most consistent players for Mike Krzyzewskiís Blue Devils all season. Did much of his scoring on hustle plays around the rim. Also, regularly got opportunities to create his own shot in the post and even made some contributions sliding out to the perimeter to space the floor. Possessing impressive coordination, Carter scored with nice efficiency for a freshman big man while flashing a budding repertoire of skills.

Defensive Analysis

• Showed some potential as a rim protector and had some impressive possessions making second efforts over the course of the season defensively, but is still developing his consistency as an impact player. Has a lot of room to grow in terms of awareness on the perimeter. May not be the type of big man who can switch everything, but could hold up better than he did last season as he learns to leave himself a cushion and when and where to rotate. Held up extremely well defending on the ball inside allowing only 0.407 points per Post Up possession[97th percentile] and plays with a promising physicality.

http://www.nba.com/draft/2018/prospe...ll_carter_jr#/

DRAFT GRADE

Given the health concerns surrounding Michael Porter Jr., Carter was the clear best option on the board for Chicago and is one of the safest players in the entire draft to become a longtime, productive pro. Iíve viewed him as an ideal partner for Lauri Markkanen all along ó if youíre going to play big and win in the NBA, your bigs need to be skilled and capable of shooting the three. Carter is as well-rounded a player as there is in the draft, and while heís not an explosive leaper, it wonít inhibit him from reaching his potential. The Bulls get a quality player that should become a starter early in his career and contribute directly to winning games, and has more long-term potential than some perceive.

Grade: A

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/20...-pick-analysis
    Last edited by Kyben36; 06-22-2018 at 03:09 AM.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

I like Wendell Carter. His fit next to Lauri is really good.

Hope itís accurate and he proves doubters wrong.

Welcome to Chicago, hope you work out
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

.4 points per post up possession allowed, 97th percentile!

Okay, that is awesome. I know numbers tell a limited story but that likely means his post defense footwork is elite to go with that wingspan and frame.

Iím excited for him. He seems like a really intelligent, hard working and likeable player and I as a fan really care about that. Letís go WCJ!

I think his D (3 blocked shots per 40) is very under rated as thats tipically what u see out of a good shot blocker. Unfortunatly u have Bamba and Jackson both around 5 which is sorta diminishing that. As far as his feet. He could quicken up. But alot of times in that 2-3 zone they played he was forced to close out on shooter (cause he likes playing more as a rin protector) and they would blow by him. I though he actually did ab OK job on the few a
    Switches i saw. Yea i saw a few blow bys which happens to any big but a lot i sawa guard shot over an outstretched arm and hit a shot. Tough luck.

He has room for improvement. But he is a shot blocking (3 blocks per 40) Play making (3 assist per 40) rebounding (13.5 per 40 ) post player who can spread the floor (41% from 3)

If u can improve his switch D (which most guys are not exactly great defenders at 18) u have a really all around good player.

He will be a great player and even a better teammate. Iíve warmed up a whole hell of a lot since last night to WCJ. Canít wait for next season!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...duke-nba-draft

Interesting read from the Ringer.

Funny thing is Duke Chrinical gave a Similar article.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/bl...ke-of-the-week

I have said this for a long time myself. I think Bagley is a lot of Hype and that lack of an off hand (which has been debated if he can learn but a player should have some semblance by HS much less college)

Liked these videos overall. Especially the defense ones for those who are really worried. He has shown Flashes of the ability to defend the P/R and even switch. But I think the lack of team D. Constant switching styles and poor coaching (or just coaching giving up on it all together) hindered him from growing. I mean a good coach has them all defend similarly and it seemed like at times he hedged. At tines he sank. Bagley sometimes helped others didnt.

Defense

https://youtu.be/dy3UUuZGCwI

Inside Scoring

https://youtu.be/GsyerhcV1H8

Passing

https://youtu.be/IcJspAKrjZY

Shooting (only in French Sry)

https://youtu.be/mStwpfOh-7s

When Carter blocks it he tends to keep possession rather than just smack the ball around. I like that. Means he's more about substance than Flash.

He's like a little beefier myles turner, that's certainly not a bad path to go down.

His parents are doing a lot of talking about his Duke days. I hope this isn't another case of a player having the family constantly in the ear.

Quote Originally Posted by dyst View Post
    His parents are doing a lot of talking about his Duke days. I hope this isn't another case of a player having the family constantly in the ear.
    I donít blame them for being upset honestly. If a coach talks to your son about being the centerpiece of a program like Duke and they go back on their word, thatís a little shady.

In fairness, CBB as a whole is shady. And I think Coach K is a hypocritical douchebag. But I digress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really expect much to come of this. Though i could be wrong. His mom being upset is reasonable. Its arguable that Bagley going to Duke cost Carter 3-4 draft spots honestly. Ita hard to say. And unfortunatly it could have been worse. Look at some of the other Duke recruits. Guys like Duval went undrafted.

U work hard in HS to not really be given a shot to showcase yourself.

Truthfully its partially on bagley and declaring late. If Carter knew he was also going (or even coach K) maybe they go diferent ways.

Honestly though is it better to dominate at a smaller school or be a core peice (if u can be) at a bigger. Its hard yo to say but not many smaller school guys go top 3 either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast