Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Draft Thread

Draft Thread

What are y'alls thoughts on the Draft? I'm hoping for Okogie from GT. He would make our back court extremely good defensively and like Mitchell he has an NBA ready body. He is a tad undersized for a SG but he's got a massive wingspan. He would be the ideal pick in my mind. A guard rotation of him, Mitchell, Rubio, and Exum would have a little bit of everything with great defense....just lacking in experience. There just aren't a lot of bigs available at the point in the draft. I'm excited to see what we do.

Rippin' lips son!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    What are y'alls thoughts on the Draft? I'm hoping for Okogie from GT. He would make our back court extremely good defensively and like Mitchell he has an NBA ready body. He is a tad undersized for a SG but he's got a massive wingspan. He would be the ideal pick in my mind. A guard rotation of him, Mitchell, Rubio, and Exum would have a little bit of everything with great defense....just lacking in experience. There just aren't a lot of bigs available at the point in the draft. I'm excited to see what we do.
    I am hoping for Hueter or Baites-Diop. I like both of their length and offensive game. They work hard on defense and I think will fit well in our defensive system, hiding their athletic weaknesses.

I think our team is full of players who can play the 1 / 2... but lack players who can play 3 / 4. I feel the 3/4 types are harder to find... so looking for players 6-7 to 6-10 who can shoot and have good effort on the defensive end.

looks like its going to grayson allen. I have done zero research on this draft, but I do know that he was a dick at duke. Lets hope they can fix that.

Not thrilled with the Allen pick. He is athletic and can shoot hopefully we can maximize what he does best. Was just really hoping for somebody with more upside.

Allen's a bloody dildo. I give this draft an F.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

try not to laugh
    "Iím not a ham-fisted nitwit."
    -Stork

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    Allen's a bloody dildo. I give this draft an F.
    I am not completely against Allen. He was actually better as a sophomore, so people think that the Duke environment wore him down a bit and forced him to change a bit of who he was. So if you are only looking at last year's numbers, they do not really represent what he can be. Why that is notable is most players are better as seniors because they are older and stronger then the 18 year olds coming in. What was encouraging about Allen is that he was more dominant as a younger player. So I think there is more potential then what appears on the service.

We sold our 2nd round pick. Not sure how that helps us be a better team.

So it seems like it was a very conservative draft, no major moves, risks, etc. I think Allen does have potential as a rotational player, but overall, not sure how much of a better team we are today then yesterday... both in the short term and the long term... so I think that is usually how you measure a draft which makes this a disappointing draft.

From what I heard, Lindsay called Mitchell and Gobert first about Allen to see what they thought before they drafted him, and they both wanted him on the team. So we'll see how it turns out. If he can be a shooter and defender for the bench I would be happy with that.

why would he call Gobert?

Heard?

try not to laugh
    -Stork

We only had the 21st pick. Some fans need to lower their expectations. Historically we are only drafting a role player at best. Let's not raise our expectations due to our recent draft success. Allen fits a role on this team. He will be able to contribute now and his age fits our timeline. Yes he has flaws and is why he was passed up by 20 teams. We had zero assets to trade up that we were willing to give. In my opinion this pick fills a need and there is a good chance he was the best player available.

The Jazz are building a team with heart. I love it. Rubio, Gobert, Mitchell, and Ingles play with heart. These guys want to win. I welcome a real competitor like Allen off the bench. Of all the skills to have I think I appreciate that one the most.

Right, he can trip the opposition into submission. What a competitor.

try not to laugh
    -Stork

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    Right, he can trip the opposition into submission. What a competitor.
    Give him a chance first Chip before you uncork your frustration. I agree tripping is a very bad decision, but I would rather have a tripper than another soft player mostly looking for a paycheck. Come playoff time when it matters do you want the guy who is going to lay it on the line or the guy afraid to dive because it's a contract year.

Truth is we have a great NBA GM. No GM has ever nailed every draft pick. With our recent success late in the draft I would argue Dennis has earned the benefit of the doubt. Most NBA fans would agree if they had a do over in the draft Rudy and Mitchell would easily the #1 or 2 picks. Every single NBA team wishes they would have drafted these two. What kind of unrealistic expectations did you have? Without Rudy and Mitchell we are the Sacramento Kings. Now in a year where we don't have any real trade assets and a pick in the twenties your complaining. By definition that sounds like a spoiled brat. By all means feel free to lay it on the line and tell us all today who you would have picked instead. Or tell us what we should have traded to move up. Take a close look and you will see we didn't have many options. Isn't this exactly what this forum is for? If you think you can do better then let us know what you would do and why. I'd love to hear it.

It was reported that they had a couple trade deals lined up for Allen that the Jazz agreed to, but the other team didn't respond in time. So they kept the pick instead. Not that they didn't want him, but other teams wanted him THAT much.